11 Replies - 1829 Views - Last Post: 23 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Portfolio, make me some comments.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

It's here, so you can check it out over at JeremyCDesign.com. Feedback is appreciated of course, :winkiss: .
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Portfolio, make me some comments.

• WinRT Dev
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Portfolio, make me some comments.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Well, here are my thoughts about the UI (I'm no expert but I'll give it a go):
- Email image on the left side isn't clickable
- The orange box is ugly and the text spacing isn't good. The "I" at the end of second line should be on third line to make it more readable (I didn't notice the I when I first read the text). I would also change the shade of the orange to something else, something more modern. That shade seems too boring and has an old feel to it while the rest of your page seems modern.
- Image popup is clumsy. Why I have to close it, then click Next and the link again to see next image? Why can't I browse the images inside the popup with Next/Previous buttons?
- The text on About window is hard to read. And in my opinion you should use texts inside image carefully because someone might want to copy-paste that for some reason and they can't.
- Your small "jeremyc." banner text is not in balance with the rest of the texts. If your banner text is small, you might not want your main text be bigger than that. In your portfolio you want to show yourself, so make the banner bigger.
- Also more information about you and your projects is required to make the site attractive and possibly get you some job offers.
-- You tell that customer can expect cheap and affordable prices, but can they expect quality? Show it with images, maybe post even some C#/XNA projects you have made and source codes to them (this could be behind a password which you can give on request).

I hope those things take you forward :)

Sorry for not giving much positive feedback, I find it easier to write negative :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postjanne_panne, on 23 February 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

Well, here are my thoughts about the UI (I'm no expert but I'll give it a go):
- Email image on the left side isn't clickable
- The orange box is ugly and the text spacing isn't good. The "I" at the end of second line should be on third line to make it more readable (I didn't notice the I when I first read the text). I would also change the shade of the orange to something else, something more modern. That shade seems too boring and has an old feel to it while the rest of your page seems modern.
- Image popup is clumsy. Why I have to close it, then click Next and the link again to see next image? Why can't I browse the images inside the popup with Next/Previous buttons?
- The text on About window is hard to read. And in my opinion you should use texts inside image carefully because someone might want to copy-paste that for some reason and they can't.
- Your small "jeremyc." banner text is not in balance with the rest of the texts. If your banner text is small, you might not want your main text be bigger than that. In your portfolio you want to show yourself, so make the banner bigger.
- Also more information about you and your projects is required to make the site attractive and possibly get you some job offers.
-- You tell that customer can expect cheap and affordable prices, but can they expect quality? Show it with images, maybe post even some C#/XNA projects you have made and source codes to them (this could be behind a password which you can give on request).

I hope those things take you forward :)

Sorry for not giving much positive feedback, I find it easier to write negative :P

To follow up on that I can't say I agree a whole lot there janne_panne. Not that bad feedback is bad, all feedback is welcome. However it appears that you have different style than I do, not necessarily bad the website is, but stating the logo text is too small and needs to be big is a design choice am I wrong. As in, it's subtle enough to be there but not indulge itself into the the rest of the design. Simply a hang up, a scribble, like a signature. You also said the orange looks bland while everything else seems modern, as is another design choice and personal style favor, not necessarily bland but inadequate to your own personal definition of great style.

And as for the images, it is something I wouldn't want people to rush through, making it on each individual shelf was a choice I made so the users can take in every bit of detail through each portfolio addition.

I am curious however, if you have any designs yourself as I would like to see where you come from in terms of style and maybe a different eye.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 23 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

On face my verdict is: odd site and I am not a fan.

First off I am not sure what's up with that giant white space at the top. I get your name's there but it seems... excessive? Maybe throw a lightly textured background might help.

Second, that giant orange box really... really... really irritates me. Visually the font is whack. The pseudo white shadowing looks chintzy and unnecessary, and the text is too close to the edge of the box. I would figure you could do something better with a bit of css and just text in a box. Also the extra orange space at the bottom and not 'justified' alignment of the text makes it look half done. So fill that box.

This of course is independent of the actual words and grammar problems that pepper all your text.

The semicolon - not needed in that location.

"Adapt to meet the essential criteria of your project"?
Wow.. so you are saying you will only do the bare bones minimum?

"to bring to adequate quality and jump start into the world of web"
What? *JUST* adequate? Again it sounds like you are doing the bare minimum for the customer and that's it. If given a choice between some dude who does the bare minimum to get paid and some lady doing the same work but goes above and beyond guess who I would pick? My guess is a thesaurus fail. Also "world of web" just seems like an awkward statement.

"With experience across the board from UI design, XNa, C-SHarp, and Various other forms of media."
That's a fragment sentence.

Really - with wording say it out loud a few times. If it sounds off or odd then it really is.

The same goes for your 'about' blurb of text.

"it's goals"
You might want to reword that. First for the possessive and additionally why would I want you to do something for my project's goals? Those goals are mine... you do the work for *MY* goals.

The young student bit is begging and pretty much would seal it for me to walk away. Let alone when I am looking for quality work "cheap" isn't something I would like to see anywhere near it.

That of course is an odd juxtaposition to the previous comment that you know "pretty much everything technical".

Now on to your clicky light box bit. First - why are you hiding your work with an extra click? The images that are in the lightbox should be the *FIRST* thing I see. The lightbox bit should just display a larger version of the image. Second, *EXPLAIN* the project. What did the customer want, how did you approach it, turn around time, techniques used, etc.

For example: what ever that "Kron" thing was I would like to know more but hell if I could find it on a cursory bing search.

Yeah, that about sums it up.
- Kill the orange box
- actually show your work - not bury it in a light box
- your words; fix them all.

---
Edit.. damn it looks like janne_panne hit most of my same areas too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:42 AM

Connection issues, server problems, caused a double post. See post below.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 23 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

I like that the design is clean, however I'm not a big fan of the lack of padding inside the orange box. The text practically touches the border, and it doesn't fill the box. I'd pad it out to be more towards the center, or at least a few more pixels away from the border.

I also have to say I'm not a fan of the lack of a gallery. It's just not all that user friendly to have to click next/previous without any preview at all of what we're about to see, then to have to click it to launch the image popup. I understand that's a stylistic choice, but as a potential customer, it's irritating and clunky.

And as for the images, it is something I wouldn't want people to rush through, making it on each individual shelf was a choice I made so the users can take in every bit of detail through each portfolio addition.

I get that, but I'd argue that forcing users to take more time to look through every single slide without preview is a good way to frustrate them, rather than impress them. Think through the steps required here:

1. Slide with title, no preview.
2. Click the title.
3. Box opens with image.
4. Close the box.
5. Click Next.
6. Repeat.

It's a process in desperate need of simplification. Let users click through next/prev inside the picture box, or give them a thumbnail preview on the slide itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Most of the site is fair... but that orange box is sickening.. I can barely read it because of the colour clash and it really does not suit the rest of the site!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Hmm, i'll have to look into this orange issue that's being complained about. Thanks for feedback.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Alright folks, give it a go, I've changed the orange.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 23 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:59 AM

Better.. but it could be textured.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's always nice to improve.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

Just so everybody knows, I've done some major overhauls on it, from your feedback I've conducted a thorough analysis of the page and corrected some stuff.

This post has been edited by FreezingHazard: 23 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1