4 Replies - 2941 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2012 - 03:34 PM Rate Topic: -----

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Double Fine Productions and Kickstarter

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

For those who haven't heard, Double Fine Productions, led by Tim Schafer of Grim Fandango and Psychonauts fame, recently started a drive to find funding for his latest creation called Double Fine Adventure. He decided to go with Kickstarter to get the funding for this project, and has since been pledged an amazing $2 million+. This is the first time any project has ever reached over 2 million dollars and there is still nineteen days left to pledge some money to support the project. Here's a story from the LA Times.

So I have a question to all of you out there. Have any of you actually tried Kickstarter for getting funding for any of your projects? Have any of you considered doing it? How many of you will seriously consider it from this point forward?

Personally, I'd never even heard of Kickstarter until a couple of weeks ago and since have considered putting together a pitch to attempt to get some funding for a project or two that I have in mind, but I'm not sure I'm going to do it or not. After seeing just how much money has been pledged to Double Fine Productions for this project, it's making me start to consider it a little more. I know the chances of getting enough funding to put together a full project like that are slim, but there is still a chance that a small indie project could get enough funding to make development easier on a small team.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Double Fine Productions and Kickstarter

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Double Fine Productions and Kickstarter

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

I am blown away :\ That kind of money could set up an indie game studio and finance their 'small' first game. I wonder how he has raised that much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

The pledge deadline has now come and gone and the final total for development of Double Fine Adventure is $3,336,371. This is an astounding amount considering the goal for the game was only $400,000. There appears to be a recent surge of game projects going up on there perhaps in part due to the success of the Double Fine Adventure funding campaign, including Wasteland 2 which currently has just over a million dollars pledged with 32 days left on their drive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

I'm loving this trend of game companies being able to make the game they want without the publishers getting in the way :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

The times they are a changin'. I agree with you all the way. It's great to see people able to throw ideas together to make the games that they want to make rather than having to deal with the wants and requirements of publishing deals and whatnot. Nowadays with sites like Kickstarter, anyone can put together a project that they think will do great and let the people decide whether the game should exist by pledging money to the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1