5 Replies - 4348 Views - Last Post: 03 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

How do you enlarge a picture without pixlating it?

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Have you ever tried to use a picture for a webpage that you're creating ,but it was too small and if you enlarged it it will ruin the picture? My question is... is there a way to enlarge a small picture and not ruin it, in other words make it pixelated?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How do you enlarge a picture without pixlating it?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How do you enlarge a picture without pixlating it?

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:15 AM

It's practically impossible to resize [upward] without pixelating without special plugins and then those kinds of plugins for things like photoshop and the like are in *severe* beta.

You can try irfanview if you'd like (resample + sharpen), but that only goes so far and even then for small scale enlargements.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

*type type type* "ENHANCE"!

Unfortunately, there is only so much information contained inside of a picture. Stretching this and making it bigger leads to pixellation (?sp), if the picture was taken with a higher megapixel camera then you'd be able to make it much bigger than if it was taken with a smaller megapixel camera simply because there's more information contained in the larger megapixel camera's picture.

More pixels, more information. More information, bigger the picture can be stretched before noticeable pixellation.

Hope this helped explain some things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, sorry but this is not realistically possible, though of course different image compressions do scale differently. I might as well also put it out there that vector scales well both up and down, so it is sometimes appropriate to make images in a vector format (.svg, .ai, .eps etc).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

Unless your picture is created mathematically (vector) this is as said, impossible to do directly. However depending on what kind of graphics that's shown in the image you can use various image editing techniques to improve the overall quality.

In Photoshop there is something called Smart Object. This is a image layer that is driven from an external image file. Using these you can scale down the image(smart object) as needed and if you happen to have to scale it up again you can do so without pixelating it since the original large image information is still being preserved in the external file. However you still cannot scale it beyond it's original size without pixelating it.

Personally I always make my image ridicules huge and use smart objects to scale it down to an appropriate size.

What I've done in the past to increase image quality is to use the smudge tool to remove the pixalation and liquefy(shift+ctrl+x) to "press" lines into sharper lines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

View PostLazy Vulpes, on 02 May 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

Unless your picture is created mathematically (vector) this is as said, impossible to do directly.

On second thought, it is actually somewhat possible to scale a image up and automatic add new information to it. If it is a image of a object which is found in nature you can use fractal mathematics to add the new information. However this technique is still very crude and very difficult to make. So, it is not completely impossible to do, but close to it..

Wait a 100 years and you might be able to.. Not very helpful, I know..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1