2 Replies - 338 Views - Last Post: 24 February 2012 - 07:18 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Search Engine?

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi so I am making a website about textbooks and here is the criteria a person can search by:
- course code
- title of book
- author
- isbn

I am wondering how am I going to distinguish between the course code, title of book and author in the search engine to optimize search results. The isbn is a 10-digit number which i can definitely have an algorithm that knows to search in the isbn section of my database but how will I recognize what the person is typing in. Any strategies or suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Search Engine?

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Search Engine?

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

Does the course code start with a specific string? Some often do, for example COMP4101 for level 4 computing courses, in which case you would analyse the input string for COMPx, and search based on that.

Title of book and author, to combine them together, you could check for a course code or ISBN number, and if not, search authors and book title.

Alternatively, you could have the user select what it is they are searching, such as radio buttons underneath the input box denoting author, isbn, course code or title.

Hope this helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Search Engine?

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

Yes thank you! It actually really helped me :P

This post has been edited by JackOfAllTrades: 25 February 2012 - 04:40 AM
Reason for edit:: Removed unecessary quote

Was This Post Helpful? 0