6 Replies - 1239 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Junior Java Coders interested in Game Dev wanted!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Hello fellow Java enthusiasts :)

I am a hobbyist Java programmer with over two years experience in coding, and I'm looking for other people interested in starting a career in Java game development for mobile device and internet games, such as Android or Facebook.

I believe I am close to the level of Oracle Certified Associate, if not, better than, and I have worked through various textbooks on Java 7, so I'm not completely useless. However, the primary reason for me looking for other people of my level in Java (or better) is so I can get a real feel for what it's like to collaborate on a project from design to completion.

I'm sure if you're anything like me, you'll have finished a course on programming and be looking for work but having no success, or maybe you've been coding for years and just never took the leap into making a career out of it. Something you'll find when looking for Java jobs is they always ask for "experience", and if you're fresh out of University or have no prior work experience in Java, you're automatically put into the bin pile.

However, if you are able to send a completed application to them and say "Me and 5 others made this, and we worked as a team to accomplish this and here are my references." Then that's a massive plus point on your CV, and would of course count towards your work experience. Employers look very hard at not only your ability to code, but your ability to code with others, and whatever project we complete would be priceless in this respect.

So, if you're looking to improve your CV or just want to join in on a game development project for your own personal enjoyment, reply to this post or PM me (not both, the mods hate that) and I'll be in touch within a day or so.

I hope to hear from you soon!
Dan.

(To the mods:) I think of this as a freelance position where the goal is future employability, not a cash sum at the end. If you disagree, please move to where it is appropriate in your view. Thank You!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Junior Java Coders interested in Game Dev wanted!

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Junior Java Coders interested in Game Dev wanted!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:21 PM

View Postdanrayson, on 26 February 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

(To the mods:) I think of this as a freelance position where the goal is future employability, not a cash sum at the end.

The freelance forum is where coders can ask questions about freelancing & have discussions & questions about self employment. This topic has been moved to Post A Job where job listings are posted.

Thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

THIS IS NOT A JOB!

This is a *proposal*. Please read initial post carefully, and PM/post any questions.

Thanks again,
Dan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

Okay - this sort of "proposal" is best suited in this 'post a job' forum than say the freelancer forum. You are recruiting volunteers for a project, and are not looking to discuss self employment.

Do you have a specific project type in mind or just "what ever the group decides"?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

To Modi,

An ideal application would be a simple 2D game with networked multiplayer, I could do this on my own of course, but it's the collaboration that is my goal here. Perhaps something like Geometry Wars or multiplayer Tetris, something graphically simple.

I understand it's best posted in the Job's section, at least now I do ^^ Thank you for your patience with me!

Dan.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hey, Id like to join! I'm only 15, so I'm still rather young and inexperienced, you can check out my project at zehawk1's channel on youtube! Hope to hear from you again!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

Sounds like a fun team to me, and finally someone who wants to make a game in java, instead of the usual c++ / UDK / unity3d.
Could you tell me:

Which timezone do you live in? (beeing in the same or a similar timezone helps collaborations a lot, in my experience)
Do you exclusively want junior developers for the team, or are somewhat more experienced devs welcome too? (a little over 11 years of experience for me...Oh the good old days of java 1.2 ;-) )
How many hours a week would you approximately want to put into this project and how many hours would you approximately expect others to put into this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1