2 Replies - 2408 Views - Last Post: 27 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

'localhost' trouble

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:10 AM

'localhost 1521; socket closed' this is the creepy error message popping out each time i try to open oracle 10 g. How can I avoid this? Or rather how to open the closed but available socket(i.e, localhost 1521)?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 'localhost' trouble

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 'localhost' trouble

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

Without knowing which OS you are using or what you have tried, all I can suggest is checking your firewall.

You have to remember we're not standing over your shoulder. When it doubt, assume we don't know ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 'localhost' trouble

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

1521 is the default port for the oracle listener. You'll want to confirm the listener is up an running. In any installation of Oracle, some form of listener control program, lsnrctl or a variation if it. Running that and asking for status will give an idea of what's going on.

On a Windows box, make sure the TNS Listener is running in Services. Note, just because the service is running, doesn't mean the listener is, hence the command line control. You can always restart this and see if you have better luck.

On *nix, you can do a ps to see if it's up. There should be a startup job for oracle in init.d or rc.d that will offer some idea of how the service is managed.

In all versions of Oracle, there are logs that can tell you how a service is doing. The location of these logs varies by installation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1