• Last »

63 Replies - 2263 Views - Last Post: 03 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Another tragedy, a deadly Ohio school shooting

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

A student has been killed and four injured in a high school shooting in Chardon, Ohio, police have said. The gunman opened fire in the cafeteria at Chardon High School in Geauga County.

One of the victims describes the terrifying scene as a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria.

One question that I find myself asking (or thinking), is do these 'bullied' kids sit down & eat with their family?

When I was a kid in high school I was bullied. & when I had complained about it, my dad would tell me to grow a pair & do something about it. He always said he would back up any battle that deserved merit, but if he found out I was doing anything I shouldn't, he'd double the punishment. There were times I got suspension for getting into fights, there were also times I just let stuff go.

Hell, I looked like spock in high-school, & believe you me, a lot of the kids sure let me know it.

I certainly never thought of taking anyone's life, but I also didn't take crap from kids in school. School's like a mini society. We were talking about this in the irc channel last night. One of the largest educations a child gets from high-school is social interaction.

I don't even watch star-trek.

I honestly believe (& I know how heartless this may sound) that a large portion of these school shootings are from the spineless parenting skills that government has put into motion. We can't tell our kids 'no', & so when things don't go their way, the mind snaps.

It just makes me sick to think how little our youth respects life. What have we done to get them to this point?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 5
  • +

Replies To: Another tragedy, a deadly Ohio school shooting

#2 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Another tragedy, a deadly Ohio school shooting

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Why didn't i hear about this? And I've never heard of that county. Is that up north?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

Last saturday, some guy called the crisis hotline saying that they were going to hurt the (my) school and the people inside of it. So the school called out informing parents about it but they were still forcing us to go to school. They say they added extra security, but there wasn't. Oh but all doors were locked on the outside.

but yeah, a lot of kids heard about this shooting and there were some wild speculations going around.

It's insane to think of what they go through to get to the point where they want to shoot people. I mean, there are even some who go off the edge and they don't have anything wrong with them. They don't have some ADHD or anger problems and they will still be driven to the point of mass murder.

It's fucked up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

Brooks Brown said:

Shooting the kids at Columbine apparently is easier than fitting in at the school.

I think there can be many contributing factors involved in school shootings, the above being one which I feel is most prevalent, perhaps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

I like how ever since then, the counselors at various middle and high schools started profiling kids for the potential of snapping.

I'm not a fan of M.Manson, but "I think someone should have listened because that's what no one did". Well said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:33 AM

Ironically this problem just doesn't sit with kids alone. About 2 weeks ago my sons high school was locked down because some crazy ass gun toting cowboy decided to call the police and threaten to shoot up the school.

They immediately locked down the school, the city police and swat were there to assist the suburban police and the guy was apprehended without incident fortunately. He lived literally across the street from the high school.

#OhioProblems

Well - fast forward to yesterday's incident, some of the students said he was a nice kid and they would have never expected this from him? Was he involved in extracurricular activities?

I was bullied some in school, I fought back - I fought back with fisticuffs (that is when you get into UFC style fights and a teacher or principal usually has to break it up) for you kids that think fighting involves steel, bullets and blades. Usually by the next day we are all sitting at the table drinking chocolate milk together and telling "Your Mamma" jokes. (Then we fight again) and make up, rinse and repeat.

Point being, I think the biggest and best way to deter these situations is to keep your kids, or if you are kids stay involved in extracurricular activities. We aren't all athletes but there are other options as well. Band, clubs (Chess, Math, Science).

I could go on and on - there are a few major problems with these scenarios.
1. Easily accessible firearms for these kids (I am sure mommy and daddy have there CCW)
2. Lack of social involvement with the school
3. Lack of parenting - or not being involved with your children.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm with you on 2 and 3, but accessible weapons don't create killers anymore than accessible junk food creates obese people. It's a societal problem, and a parenting problem (like you said) not a problem with the availability of weapons. Now, if you have a bad parent who also leaves weapons lying around then yeah, that's a bad combo. But there are many of us who are responsible firearms owners. Guns were never a big deal for me. My dad had an arsenal when I was growing up. Much of it was for hunting (for food, not sport), but not all. He taught me gun handling and maintenance and when he felt I was ready he bought me my first rifle on my 12th birthday. I had easily accessible weapons and ammo because my dad knew that I was responsible. I never went on a killing rampage, obviously. It would never have even crossed my mind to do something approaching irresponsible with a gun (even and unloaded one) because 1. I didn't want to disappoint him and 2. I knew he'd beat my ass. :) My dad gave a crap. I don't think many of these murderous kids can say the same and I think that's the biggest problems.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

Oh dear, not this again.

I remember when columbine happened, I was in high school. Everyone attempted to sum up the catalyst to their actions in simple little packages:

bad parenting
psychosis
they was bullied

blah blah blah

I remember once in class I explained my rationale on the matter. An in depth break down of why I can comprehend how a child, under certain extreme and very complicated conditions, may break down and do such a horrible thing. I only repeated that I did not agree with it, and did not consider it an excuse, about 10 times... I guess I should have 11, because the following day I was placed in "restricted environment" (in-school suspension) because a group of kids from that class had gone down and said I was planning to bomb the school. It didn't help I shared names with one of the boys (dylan).

This of course pushed me to get really vocal about the matter. I went on rants and raves about it all over the place. But it all just fell on deaf ears, and I fear it will again, because everyone wants just a simple answer... they can't understand anything but a simple answer. If someone refers to a possible role player, then that thing 'causes bad behavior'. Never stopping to think this pure ignorance is probably the biggest role player of them all.

You may think you've seen bullying. But you haven't seen some of the bullying, born out of ignorance, that some kids may have to go through. And with some of those people, due to several other factors, can't handle the 'extreme' cases. I don't even like to call it bullying, because it's larger than that. A bully is a kid or 2 beating you up on the playground... but when an entire school calls you inhuman because of who you or your family are... that's a completely different game.

There are schools out there where it is quietly condoned to completely outcast people for their differences. Homosexuality, race, mental illness. When an entire community pushes against you... you're in a completely different realm of scary. And if you can't handle that level of force, as many small children usually can't, you feel more than helpless and alone. Combine this with certain life styles, parenting, psychosis, and various other variables... and you have a possible bomb ticking, a bomb that is hard to recognize.

I'm not saying cases of extreme scenarios are everywhere... but then again school shootings of this kind aren't everywhere either. But they're common enough that you see it appear in the news occasionally.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Examples of the kind of things I'm talking about:

I once went to court in a small town in the pan-handle of FL. While there I watched a small black boy stand up under the charges of stealing a bicycle, the kid who owned the bike and that kids mother were there protesting that this was a whole misunderstanding. The boy had actually borrowed the bike with the other boy's permission, the mother noticed the bike missing and because she had said no one was allowed to borrow the bike the kid lied about letting his friend borrow it. She called the cops, and that's when the kid admitted his lie, but the other boy was already arrested. The judge gave this boy 6 months in "work camp", completely ignoring the families story. Just imagine living in a town like this as a small black boy... this was the day I first realized that old-school turn of the century racism is alive and well in this nation, it was also the first time my skin color saved my fucking ass (the charges I was there for weren't exactly light).

I've watched an entire cafeteria of 800+ students harass various children on various occasions. Mainly for sexual conduct, homosexuals, "slutty girls", etc. I won't lie, in the fury of it all, and the naivety of my young age, I've joined in before. It's a sad memory of my past. Throwing garbage at, quarters (a girl 'supposedly' was giving blow-jobs for quarters in a bathroom somewhere), food, paper, books, even chairs. I've even seen some school faculty join in.

I've even had my own personal experiences where I've been told by teachers and children alike that my brother just should have died, that my family belonged in prison, that we were't fit for society. Threats off being thrown in Dickens-esque orphanages, and never seeing the light of day. I've had a gym teacher march me naked in front of the school boys, and even watched as my 8 year old brother beat the shit out of the head sheriff because he tossed a coin at him and euphamaticly saying "your mom was good last night" (this was because my mother had bitched him out the night before for harassing us).

There's bullying, and then there is out right community push. And for a lot of people, they don't realize its happening, they don't realize they might play a role in it, they might even feel vindicated by it.

So do I understand how this kind of stuff happens? Yep. Do I agree with the actions they took... well sometimes I wonder. Thing is I don't know exactly what these kids have gone through, and for the most part we probably never will because the community at large will probably deny it. In the same respect they could have just as easily been little cry babies. But I know what people are capable of even in "civilized society", so I'm not surprised one fucking bit.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 28 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 27 February 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

I honestly believe (& I know how heartless this may sound) that a large portion of these school shootings are from the spineless parenting skills that government has put into motion. We can't tell our kids 'no', & so when things don't go their way, the mind snaps.

like what?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

POPULAR

View PostProgrammist, on 28 February 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

I'm with you on 2 and 3, but accessible weapons don't create killers anymore than accessible junk food creates obese people. It's a societal problem, and a parenting problem (like you said) not a problem with the availability of weapons. Now, if you have a bad parent who also leaves weapons lying around then yeah, that's a bad combo. But there are many of us who are responsible firearms owners. Guns were never a big deal for me. My dad had an arsenal when I was growing up. Much of it was for hunting (for food, not sport), but not all. He taught me gun handling and maintenance and when he felt I was ready he bought me my first rifle on my 12th birthday. I had easily accessible weapons and ammo because my dad knew that I was responsible. I never went on a killing rampage, obviously. It would never have even crossed my mind to do something approaching irresponsible with a gun (even and unloaded one) because 1. I didn't want to disappoint him and 2. I knew he'd beat my ass. :) My dad gave a crap. I don't think many of these murderous kids can say the same and I think that's the biggest problems.

What he's saying is not "I have a gun, I want to shoot people". It's "I want to shoot people, I have a gun".
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

For the record - a second one was died after being pronounced brain dead today
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

What the US government should be looking at is why are there so many school shootings?

As some one from the UK it always amazes me when something like this happens. The most recent school shooting in the UK that i can recall is the Dunblane massacre in 1996!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

yeah but we have shootings and you have massacres so wrap that up in a little perspective.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

We did have a shooting last year, but it wasn't a school one.

I do think a lot of it is due to guns being so easily available in US. The only ones I know of here are people that had licenses for guns too. I can see why you would feel safer with a gun, but it is also a lot easier to cause a lot of damage in just one mad 5 minutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »