11 Replies - 1007 Views - Last Post: 29 February 2012 - 01:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

would like someone to teach me java

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

hey im 13 and would like to learn java. I am sorta a slow learner. but once i get the handle of it i get alone. I dont get all the websites ive looked at, so if anyone is interested in teaching me i would greatly apprete it
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: would like someone to teach me java

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: would like someone to teach me java

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Its good to see someone interested in programming at a pretty young age. I wouldn't really recommend getting an online teacher. I would recommend that you get a book called Java, how to program, its wonderful for beginners with detailed explanations and lots of examples. If you ever get stuck on something that you don't understand, you can ask your questions here in the Java forum. Good luck and enjoy learning :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:59 AM

Welcome to the Java World. You will first need to look at:
Getting Better at Java Programming: This will give you a way to study java...
Then look at Java Resources to see what you will need in your study time.
Good luck!

This post has been edited by smohd: 28 February 2012 - 01:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

yea my only prob is i dont asorb the info when i read it, makes no sence that way and i end up skipping it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Critical Section
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

You can always ask your questions in Java Forum here in dream In Code and there are a lot of experts there to help you get it.

Also if anything in doubt, always consult Java API Documentation from oracle website- also you can download them as an eBook and use it offline.
But also Oracle has tutorial for almost every topic in javaSE which you may find useful
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:35 AM

Then I'm going to be honest. You aren't cut out for it. If you don't have the drive to sit and read and comprehend then you won't make it simple as that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostUtael, on 28 February 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

Then I'm going to be honest. You aren't cut out for it. If you don't have the drive to sit and read and comprehend then you won't make it simple as that.

Woah, stop there. It is possible to become an exceedingly good programmer without touching a book. Granted, it will be harder. But we have a wealth of information at our finger tips, the JavaDocs are extremely useful and practise is just as good as reading if not better. The first programmers did not have a book. I was actually sick to death of the first book I had so got straight into it, did not read a book for about 8 years.

You do not need to read a book to get good, but doing so will help, even just using it as a reference.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

That's his problem he doesn't want to sit and work with code either.... See post 1

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

thx for all the help, i might see if theres a teacher at school that can teach me
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

I highly recommend that you give it a shot learning on your own first, if you ever have problems understanding something, don't give up and just search the web for it, or ask in a forum such as dreamincode. It may be a bit hard in the beginning, but once you get a hang of it, others will be asking YOU for help :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

yea my only prob is i dont asorb the info when i read it, makes no sence that way and i end up skipping it

You say this, so I assume you believe it. However, I believe it's true only as long as you believe it is, and act as if it is. And as long as it's true, programming is not a field you should think about going into. If you can't read effectively, programming is going to be basically impossible for you. Researching problems, reading documentation, reading code ffs - you're reading all day, and you have to understand what you read.

Learning to program computers involves changing a lot of things about the way you think. You might as well start with this learned idiocy you describe, and unlearn it.

(And yes, I do think that someone who can't absorb written information is incapable of participating effectively in society, and is therefore, classically speaking, an idiot: someone who cannot participate in society. Or, looking at it more strictly, in a world where information rules, a person who willfully refuses to absorb written information is "lacking technical skill", and therefore an idiot again. And no, I don't think the OP is lacking in intelligence, and no I don't think this idiocy is a permanent condition.)

As for the question of learning Java: the Sun tutorials are a great starting place.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 29 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

You’re at a great age to seek and get this counsel - “mentoring” it’s called these days - and to discover that a shortcoming you think you have is not only contrary to the pursuit of something that interests you but that is detrimental to your success in life. Jon’s words may seem harsh, but they’re well founded. Unfortunately, the percentage of the industrialized world’s population schooled primarily by watching videos and playing games is increasing daily, and we’re suffering for it.

You’re at a great age, because it’s not too late to improve your skills. If you think you’re not good at something and don’t do something about it, you will always be limited by your acceptance of your own mediocrity (or idiocy). So don’t accept it. Reading comprehension is a skill learned by reading and then applying what you’ve read. Teaching oneself to program is about the best activity I can think of for practicing this skill and getting immediate feedback on one’s progress.

In my opinion, the next best activity to improve reading comprehension is writing. Again, programming forces one to organize thoughts logically, write them down so that they can be understood, and provides a vast community with opportunities for sharing one’s writing with others who will provide honest, sometimes brutal, feedback.

So don’t accept who or what you’re going to be 2, 5, or 10 years from now based on what you think your limitations are at 13. That’s ridiculous and potentially tragic. Instead, recognize your skills that can be improved and do something to improve them. You have time, and at 13 there’s nothing you can’t learn to do better.

Reread some of the advice you've been given above, and get to work!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1