• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

46 Replies - 9194 Views - Last Post: 27 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

I want to be a technical artist, or web developer, leaning more towards art than computer science.

I was wondering what the rules on tattoos and piercings are in the workplace?

This post has been edited by macosxnerd101: 29 February 2012 - 08:49 AM
Reason for edit:: Please use a descriptive title.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tattoos and Piercings in the Workplace

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

That tends to change on a company to company basis. I would wager avoiding crazy face tatts, tats you can't clover up with sleeves or clothes, minimal ear gauges, and nothing you can't unpierce on your face if you need to. I would also avoid sub dermal.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 February 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

That tends to change on a company to company basis. I would wager avoiding crazy face tatts, tats you can't clover up with sleeves or clothes, minimal ear gauges, and nothing you can't unpierce on your face if you need to. I would also avoid sub dermal.

Gauges aren't my style. But I want to have facial piercings (eyebrow) and tattoos on my deltoid muscle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

I'm guessing you are about 14 or so, because you believe there are rules that are applied everyplace.
There aren't. But its nice to see someone planning ahead and thinking about their future before they act on it.

One business is going to say "No visible tattoos". But a cutting edge design company might tend to draw in 'edgy' people that are covered in art. Personally I'd go with the idea that if it is covered by standard business-casual attire you should be fine. If you can wear a short sleeved shirt and a pair of cargo shorts and they not be seen then I don't think it is anyone's business.

Go to 100 companies and you'll get 100 different guidelines.

Personally, I can't stand them. Other than considering having "A Pos" tattoo'd on each arm for the event of hospitalization after a car accident... I can't see the reasoning behind having a piece of art on my body for a lifetime that I wouldn't hang over my sofa for a month.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:48 AM

This isn't a computer science question. Moved to the Corner Cubicle.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

But I want to have facial piercings (eyebrow)

I would just make sure they are removable so when you scope a job out before the interview (you *ARE* doing that, right?) you can adjust accordingly.

tattoos on my deltoid muscle.

Presumably you won't be interviewing in a strapless shirt or wife beater so your shoulders are probably okay.

Now the question is what are you getting?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:01 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 29 February 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I'm guessing you are about 14 or so, because you believe there are rules that are applied everyplace.
There aren't. But its nice to see someone planning ahead and thinking about their future before they act on it.

One business is going to say "No visible tattoos". But a cutting edge design company might tend to draw in 'edgy' people that are covered in art. Personally I'd go with the idea that if it is covered by standard business-casual attire you should be fine. If you can wear a short sleeved shirt and a pair of cargo shorts and they not be seen then I don't think it is anyone's business.

Go to 100 companies and you'll get 100 different guidelines.

Personally, I can't stand them. Other than considering having "A Pos" tattoo'd on each arm for the event of hospitalization after a car accident... I can't see the reasoning behind having a piece of art on my body for a lifetime that I wouldn't hang over my sofa for a month.

Response to what you say about tattoos...
When I was 4 years old, I got my first dog. I love her more than anything (she's 16 now)
When I was 5 years old, my mom saw how much I loved dogs. Out of a hunch, she got me a picture book of a group of wolves called "The Sawtooth Wolves". I read it every day. There was an accompanying VHS and I watched that every day. Wolves fascinated me, everything about them.
I'm 20 now. I still love wolves and dogs. In fact, I volunteer at a non-kill shelter for dogs.

I thought that something that lasted 15 volatile years of my life was something that will exists forever... Unless I was like, killed by a pack of wolves.
It may be a cliche tattoo, but I think it's totally cool.

And I like piercings because they emphasize certain qualities of a person. For example, someone with an eyebrow piercing doing that questioning "raise eyebrow" expression, emphasized it far more. If a girl has really perfect lips, a lip piercing just emphasizes that. A dude who looks tough and kind of has masculine features may further emphasize that with a septum piercing. I like facial piercings, they've existed since the dawn of society... so I see no reason why they're still considered somewhat taboo. Hell, Native Americans had lip piercings.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
But Honestly, I want a job where I can go into the interview however I want and feel free to be that way instead of needing to hide anything I believe.

This post has been edited by Crowz: 29 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

So you are getting the three wolves tattooed on you? Sweet! I demand photos to be posted when it's done.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 29 February 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

So you are getting the three wolves tattooed on you? Sweet! I demand photos to be posted when it's done.

Posted Image

It costs as much as tattoos with one wolf, but it's got three!
That would make a great conversation piece
Haha nah that shirt is why I avoided howling wolves in a tattoo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PosttlhIn`toq, on 29 February 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

I can't see the reasoning behind having a piece of art on my body for a lifetime that I wouldn't hang over my sofa for a month.

That's presuming that all tattoo art isn't fit to hang over a sofa...

What if it was a piece of art one would hang over their sofa for a lifetime?

Your statement to me sounds more like a personal choice to not make lifetime commitments to an artistic style then it has to do with the quality of said art. Which is a valid opinion none the less, but your generalized analogy lacks in that introspection.

@OP - people are becoming far more accepting of tattoos in general. Face tattoos are still considered very taboo though, face piercings not as much since piercings are removable during work hours. You shouldn't have any issue with the placement of the tattoo you're expecting to get.

What you should consider though is WHY you're getting this tattoo and how you really feel about it. There is truth in what 'tlhIn`toq' said, are you really going to want this on your body for the rest of your life?

I've had multiple tattoos, I regret none of them, because they all are connected to certain memories of my life that mean something to me. Yes even the ridiculous ones like my ex-girlfriend/tattoo artist naked on my calf... it's not the image, it's the when and why I got it at a HUGE turning point in my life, I wanted something that painted out exactly what it is I was leaving behind, the ridiculous nature of the life I had up to that point.

But hey, that's all up to you...

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 29 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
But Honestly, I want a job where I can go into the interview however I want and feel free to be that way instead of needing to hide anything I believe.

With or without tattoos/piercings you can already go into an interview and feel free to be however you want to be. The interviewer can also choose whether or not to hire you for whatever reason. That's the way the world works.

The more you drift towards the fringes of society the less likely you are going to be received well. I'm not saying tattoos/piercings are going to place you on the fringes of society, but some people take appearance very seriously. So the real question is how much value do you put on other people's judgement. In this case, their judgement is influencing your future position at that company.

However, if a company is going to look beyond your skills, knowledge, and ability to produce, and judge you simply because you have tattoos/piercings do you really want to work for them?

As far as tattoo's go, I have several tattoo's which are all easily and reasonably concealable. If you are putting tattoo's in high-visibility areas on the body then obviously you want people to see them. If you put them out there for people to see then you might be judged poorly in some people's eyes.

My advice is to keep them concealable so that way other people don't feel a need to worry about them.

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 29 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

I was thinking of getting this tattooed on the inside of my wrist, just so I wouldn't have to remember the equations.
ohm's law coin
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Whatever you get, you gotta live with that shit. Just remember that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postdorknexus, on 29 February 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Whatever you get, you gotta live with that shit. Just remember that.

People that say that, either never had a tat or got a drunken tat which the artist should be ashamed of themselves for inking someone while drunk.

Don't get names of your significant other... what happens when you breakup/get divorced? Childrens names are good. Don't get them because you are a rebel when young, you probably won't be the same in 20 years. Don't get one because it is "cool".

As others have said, every company is different. If you have to deal with customers often, a company might frown upon ones that are visible.

Don't get one from "the guy in his basement", go to a reputable artist they usually keep logs of who they tat and usually make you sign.

If the shop is dirty in anyway, go to another place!!! If the place has not been mopped/or vacuumed, go elsewhere. If the equipment is dirty, go elsewhere... Especially the guns, if there is gunk in them, go elsewhere. Do they sterilize of use new needles each time? Quality ink or cheap stuff? No lead for me please or Everglow ink.

Getting a tattoo is serious stuff, you can get many blood diseases, skin infections, rashes, allergic reactions to the ink. Otherwise go for it man...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

I lived with a dude who had a cross and bible quote tattoo and then he became an atheist. Things in your life that you think will never change, will. Or at least some of them.

This post has been edited by dorknexus: 29 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »