I am trying to learn PHP MYSQL. I need some advice how to approach it?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 2697 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2012 - 02:25 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

I am trying to learn PHP MYSQL. I need some advice how to approach it?

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

OK I dont have any programming background but I am interested in learning PHP MYSQL for web development I already know somewhat HTMl and CSS.
I am worst in is problem solving, like how to approach a problem in pseudo code, program design, top-down designs including pseudo codes and algorithms, and also basics of procedural and oop concepts.

Can anyone recommended anything, tutorials books etc..
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I am trying to learn PHP MYSQL. I need some advice how to approach it?

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I am trying to learn PHP MYSQL. I need some advice how to approach it?

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:48 PM

Problem solving and how to approach and break down a coding problem isn't specific to PHP or any coding language.

This is a common problem for new coding students. This article was built as a starting point:
This is the homework thread you asked for.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

I recommend PHP & MySQL: The Missing Manual as a book to learn PHP and MySQL. It's very good, even if you don't have much programming experience (though it won't teach you many good programming practices; learn Java or something if that's what you want, but I assume you just want to make cool websites with PHP). Since you want to learn a set of technologies, I definitely recommend learning (at first, to get the basics down) by following a book.

Also, you should learn by setting a project goal for yourself, and building it. If you don't know how to do something, you will be surprised at how easily you can find it online; the Internet is a fantastic resource for learning a programming language, but I assume you already know that since you know HTML and CSS.

Good luck, PHP & MySQL are fun and very useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Go here:
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

Do the tutorials like you'll die if you don't get them all finished in a week.
The faster the better.
Try not to pay to much attention to the tutorial explanations.
Just copy the code by hand verbatim and run it.
If it fails rewrite it from scratch and try again.
If you like coffee drink what will keep you alert through the whole thing.

When you've completed running the code in the tutorials go back and reread them and pay special attention to the descriptions this time around.

Now you should be ready to write something of your own.
For problem solving you should try thinking of the most stupid ideas you can.
Try to make those ideas.
When the code doesn't work as expected make sure the 'parts' are doing what they are supposed to be doing.
You'll understand how to do that after you do the tutorials.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

The faster the better.

Why the rush? Far more important to understand what you're doing!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:43 PM

Go through the tutorials at W3Schools. You'll pick up a fair few bad habits from it, but how else will you get to experience the joy of learning how to do things the right way? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

W3schools is definetly the best reference. But I think it can only teach you so much if you don't know how to apply it. I generally use W3S to check back on something im semi-comfortable with already.

This is what I used to get started with PHP, and am still using a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phpacademy

These guys do an amazing job explaining each line of code, and why they right it the way they do.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 29 February 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

The faster the better.

Why the rush? Far more important to understand what you're doing!

Haha! That's why I said go back and reread.

What I was trying to get at was that code is alien.
All languages including spoken ones are alien when a person starts to learn them.
As human beings we need to copy or parrot others to produce the feeling of using the parts of a language.
It's harder to teach a baby to make o's with their mouth instead of just talking around the baby and letting them try by themselves to make the o.

Same goes for adults.
But self initiation in a language in written form is harder than the invasiveness of the spoken word.

The learning of a written language whether its regular or programmed is not comfortable for brains. :)

Repetition and modification and quick interaction breaks that feeling of encountering something alien.

There can always be a return to the reference to solidify learning.

Of course there are always complex parts to a language that are not easily assimilate this way, but for the primitive types and some or most of their relationships can be learned through very fast copying(parroting).

That won't create skill. A clear understanding is needed. That's where repeatedly going back to the reference comes in. Eventually the reference is used less and less.

Sorry for the generalisations. Can't handle all the specific instances in one post on a forum.

Please forgive me if I sound like I'm trying to look smart. I'm not. :blush: I'm just very persistent.

I guess doing the tutorials in a week like you'll die if you don't is extreme. :)

I would add to that to be patient with yourself. Rome wasn't built out of lego bricks.

This post has been edited by hiddenghost: 04 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Also, once you get into it read this:
http://thinkvitamin....o-debug-in-php/

It will help.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

This is a good start:
http://www.dreaminco...duction-to-pdo/
I'd avoid any tutorial that didn't use prepared statements. The mysql_* functions are obsolete and insecure. Prepared statements are the future so don't bother learning stuff that will likely be unavailable in future versions of PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have this book Php & Mysql: Your Visual Blueprint for Creating Dynamic, Database-driven Web Sites. I dont know if its a good choice it bad can you tell me since you have read the missing manual. I looked at your website I wish I would get that far. Also I am reading on Javascript book on scripting the dom is that a good book to learn Javascript and is Javascript important to learn after HTML CSS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostVader, on 05 March 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

I have this book Php & Mysql: Your Visual Blueprint for Creating Dynamic, Database-driven Web Sites. I dont know if its a good choice it bad can you tell me since you have read the missing manual. I looked at your website I wish I would get that far. Also I am reading on Javascript book on scripting the dom is that a good book to learn Javascript and is Javascript important to learn after HTML CSS.

I'm familiar with the php book. That should be a good start for you.
The DOM scripting is definitely something you'll want to learn if you want to learn javascript.
You might learn javascript better if you start with the basics first though.
Try "Javascript For Programmers". That will get you started. It's supposed to be for programmers, but it will be ok for a beginner to programming too.

Any thing with clear examples you can copy, step by step instructions, no spelling errors, and no typos is probably good.

I think spelling can be forgiven if the code examples are good(clear with no errors).

Also if it's old you might want to chuck it. Check the copyright date and if it's older than two years you might want to buy the newer edition. With html and css you can probably servive with a 4 year old book. PHP and javascript have changed so much you'll want something newer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

View Posthiddenghost, on 05 March 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

The DOM scripting is definitely something you'll want to learn if you want to learn javascript.
Try "Javascript For Programmers". That will get you started. It's supposed to be for programmers, but it will be ok for a beginner to programming too.

Any thing with clear examples you can copy, step by step instructions, no spelling errors, and no typos is probably good.

I think spelling can be forgiven if the code examples are good(clear with no errors).

Also if it's old you might want to chuck it. Check the copyright date and if it's older than two years you might want to buy the newer edition. With html and css you can probably servive with a 4 year old book. PHP and javascript have changed so much you'll want something newer.

The PHP & MySQL: Your visual blueprint for creating dynamic, database-driven Web sites is 2006 version I could not find the newest
DOM scripting is the 2010 Version
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostVader, on 05 March 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

View Posthiddenghost, on 05 March 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

The PHP & MySQL: Your visual blueprint for creating dynamic, database-driven Web sites is 2006 version I could not find the newest
DOM scripting is the 2010 Version

so this book "Javascript for Programmers" is it for beginners who dont have a clue on programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

View PostVader, on 05 March 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

so this book "Javascript for Programmers" is it for beginners who dont have a clue on programming

It's suitable for beginners.

The book is useful for programmers, but has a lot of basic stuff in the beginning.
It deals with advanced along with the beginning stuff.

It also gives a pretty good intro to xhtml, and css.

html5 is coming into use, and is awesome, but xhtml will will give you something good to work with for the other stuff like php and javascript.

There are a lot of best practice tips in there too.

Not too much about DOM scripting though. Otherwise it has pretty good info.

This post has been edited by hiddenghost: 05 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +