6 Replies - 1393 Views - Last Post: 01 March 2012 - 05:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

.swf flash objects in a C++ game

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Hello all,

I want to ask a question about using flash UI's in a C++ application.

Can you use .swf flash objects inside a C++ game without paid licenses? or do I have to pay?

Also, is implementing .swf a good way of implementing GUIs? because I know some games use scaleform?

Thanks all
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: .swf flash objects in a C++ game

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: .swf flash objects in a C++ game

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Even though I have used Scaleform, I have never tried doing it outside of this. I did find this article, however.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dovakiin, Dragonborn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Butch. How is scaleform to use? Also, how much does it cost and is it worth it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Can't go into too much detail, but it certainly helps if you're a Flash programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

You can try out Scaleform easily enough, you don't need to be under an NDA like Butch probably is, nor do you really have to spend money. Scaleform has been integrated into a number of engines recently, including Unity, CryEngine and I believe the free Unreal engine.

Can you roll your own swf engine without paying a license fee, yes. Are there free tooling options available so you don't have to pay for Flash? yes. Is it cost effective to do so? Probably not.

What Butch linked is certainly an option, but reality is, it's embedding an activeX browser object within your application, which has a number of downsides. First, it makes deployment a right pain in the ass. Second, it depends on the presence of a browser and COM support, something that precludes all non-Windows OSes. There are other libraries like this one, for dealing with swf files directly.

Is it a good way to implement GUIs? Well, thats all subjective. It does have some advantages, like off the shelf powerful tooling support, and a lower barrier of entry, in terms of skills required. You can get an artist with minimal coding skills to create a UI in Flash, thats not so true with say.... Qt. There is a reason Scaleform is a successful product.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostSerapth, on 01 March 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

You can try out Scaleform easily enough, you don't need to be under an NDA like Butch probably is,...

Yep, it's like signing your life away. :(

What Butch linked is certainly an option, but reality is, it's embedding an activeX browser object within your application, which has a number of downsides. First, it makes deployment a right pain in the ass. Second, it depends on the presence of a browser and COM support, something that precludes all non-Windows OSes. There are other libraries like this one, for dealing with swf files directly.

Last updates appear to be around five years old. I'd be cautious about its potential stability with modern tools.

This post has been edited by Serapth: 01 March 2012 - 05:15 PM
Reason for edit:: Oops, sorry Butch. Wrong button.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostButchDean, on 01 March 2012 - 11:47 PM, said:

You can try out Scaleform easily enough, you don't need to be under an NDA like Butch probably is,...

Yep, it's like signing your life away. :(

Last updates appear to be around five years old. I'd be cautious about its potential stability with modern tools.

In the vast majority of cases, I would recommend people use an engine, so Im not exactly going to argue in support of rolling your own SWF layer! :)

I do wish I could find Scaleform pricing. I remember it being featured in Game Developer Magazine, but I don't have access to my back issues, and since then Autodesk acquired them and don't appear to sell it directly, at least not without a negotiated price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1