8 Replies - 1112 Views - Last Post: 04 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Which language to learn next?

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

Firstly, I was not sure where to put this, as most of the "General Discussion" topics are non-code related. Sorry.

I am newly a web developer. I typically use HTML/CSS PHP, MySQL and Javascript. I have dabbles with Flash/ AS also and understand the concepts of OOP. Though not very thoroughly.

I am looking to expand my horizons how ever and learn a new language or set of related languages. This new language would be for a hobby. I would like to start making simple games maybe (Im not over eagar, by this i mean counting games or something within my grasp to start), also perhaps I'd like to be able to write some windows desktop applications (.exe or somethings simmilar). Example: a program to track work hours, store it to a database, then use my web skills to display it on a website.

Would Java be the new language I am looking for? Or is their something out there that would better suit my needs?

I would really appreciate any input and thank you in advanced.
I strive to learn, nothing more.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which language to learn next?

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language to learn next?

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Java is a very popular language here at <Dream.In.Code>, it has quite a but of functionality (from what I've seen) and it seems pretty challenging. It's a question of how much time you want to spend learning another language becasue you could go for a simpler one or a more challenging one. We're not going to force you into anything. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

I've moved this to Student Campus, because it seems a studenty sort of question, and there's already a similar discussion going on in Software Development. Might as well spread the wealth around! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

View Posticedd, on 02 March 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Firstly, I was not sure where to put this, as most of the "General Discussion" topics are non-code related. Sorry.

I am newly a web developer. I typically use HTML/CSS PHP, MySQL and Javascript. I have dabbles with Flash/ AS also and understand the concepts of OOP. Though not very thoroughly.

I am looking to expand my horizons how ever and learn a new language or set of related languages. This new language would be for a hobby. I would like to start making simple games maybe (Im not over eagar, by this i mean counting games or something within my grasp to start), also perhaps I'd like to be able to write some windows desktop applications (.exe or somethings simmilar). Example: a program to track work hours, store it to a database, then use my web skills to display it on a website.

Would Java be the new language I am looking for? Or is their something out there that would better suit my needs?

I would really appreciate any input and thank you in advanced.
I strive to learn, nothing more.

Java's not a bad way to go. Maybe you should give it a try and see how you like it. There's a lot that you can do in Java, and the library support is great. The nice thing of course is that you're not tied to one OS, so your windows applications will run on anything.

There's no real reason to worry very much about which language you learn next. Pick one that you think you might like and give it a good go. If you can learn the web stuff you talk about, there's no reason you can't learn any language you set your mind to, and the more languages you learn, the easier it will be for you. The main thing is to commit to it without locking yourself into it. Once you dive in, work at it for long enough to know the language well, and when you know the language well enough to write a reasonable application in it, start learning something else, to keep your brain fresh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hrm, well thanks for the words guys.

I did take a course on Java in high school though I never got really into it. I tried to make a black jack game and got over my head (lol).

I did like the compiler aspect of it, compared to JS or PHP where you put one character out of place and it just breaks and gives you no reason as to why.

I guess I will start with java.

Just a few questions how ever:
- Is it free to program in Java?
- Where would I find the necessary tools? (compiler and what ever I need to start)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Java is free - all you really need is the SDK but you will probably want an IDE unless you want to compile with the command prompt. Oracle has bundled NetBeans with the JDK so you can download them all at once, NetBeans is a great (and powerful) IDE. I'm sure the most popular, by far, is Eclipse. Those two, in my experience, are a little awkward to work with sometimes, but that's probably just me. My favorite is IntelliJ IDEA.

All those tools are free, or have a free version.

I would have posted links but not sure I can, being new and all... but I'll try.

JDK, or JDK with NetBeans - http://www.oracle.co...oads/index.html
Eclipse (download the Java Developers one, or Eclipse Classic) - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
IntelliJ IDEA (Community Edition is free) - http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks so much guys for all your words. Going home to download the nessicary components. Then start at square one I suppose. Hello world, here I come!

This may be asking for a lot. But if any one has some good resources for beginner tutorials that would be lovely. Thanks a million, hello world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

The Java tutorials provided by Oracle are pretty good. (The Getting Started link)

But to be honest the best thing you can do is buy a good book if you are serious about learning a new language. If you read from cover to cover and do plenty of exercises you should get a pretty good grasp it any language you choose.

This post has been edited by Ryano121: 04 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostRyano121, on 04 March 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

The Java tutorials provided by Oracle are pretty good. (The Getting Started link)

But to be honest the best thing you can do is buy a good book if you are serious about learning a new language. If you read from cover to cover and do plenty of exercises you should get a pretty good grasp it any language you choose.

This is good advice, especially "do the exercises". The only way to learn to write code is to write code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1