4 Replies - 1538 Views - Last Post: 10 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

2 websites for review please :)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have 2 websites, they are theme'd similar.

http://creativecurvemedia.ca

http://ccmgdigitaldisplaysystems.ca

I was just wondering if some people could take a look. Any feed back would be great. Especially in the sense of usability, SEO, any errors you might see and anything thing else that is either good or bad that stands out. I really appreciate it, and thanks for any ones time in advance!

Icedd

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 2 websites for review please :)

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 2 websites for review please :)

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

@ creativecurvemedia.ca
Hmm.. interesting. Nice clean lines... the red-magenta coloring works well with the black wood background. Though it looks off with the phone on the 'contact us'... perhaps not using a red phone? Something else to contrast the coloring?

Thumbs up (thought you might want to lock down your folders from view and exploration).

The blue one looks strikingly similar. Haha. Straight to the point content and information .
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

Well first of all the second URL there is a horrible one. How is people suppose to remember all that?

Secondly, the button hover over effect on the second one is better than the slight adjustment of the buttons on the first. I know what you were trying to do there, but the tactile feel thing is just not there. It actually looks like a bug or bad rollover.

Third, your SEO is almost non-existent. You have little to no keywords or description in your page meta tags. Your homepage descriptions are basic and lacking any keywords to help you rank and you could probably benefit a little by putting some of your jQuery code into its own javascript file.

As another mention I don't like how the page suddenly jumps open when you click a button to reveal the text (like when you click Advertising opportunities) on the second site.

The chiseled edges also look very 1990's. Think about some smoother edging and perhaps a little shadows and highlights to give it a more subtle edge.

But despite all this, I have seen much worse so you are definitely on a good track here. Just needs a little more polish. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Firstly thank you to both.

@Martyr2
Thank you for your observations. I agree the URL is quiet the mouthful. My boss ha s knack for choosing the longest ones possible. Example -(argyleentertainmentdistrict.ca). We are working on shortening them. I agree with the sort of "pop-up" hover state @creativecurvemedia.ca. This was done by the developer before me, I am going to look into changing that to the backshadow hover state. I think it's much smoother indeed.

The jumping effect on ccmgdigitaldisplaysystems.ca will be terminated as soon as I transfer the dev site live. We have made each of those buttons a seperate link with its own url. Currently they are hidden behind Javascript and the "google crawler" cannot recogonize it as you have to click the button for thr JS to show the text, bad design. Again, being changed.

As for the chiseled edges, I don't much say in the look as I am not the designer. The arrangment is, she designs, I develop.

And the SEO. I am a new developer, I have taught myself over the past year and have landed a job in the industry 2 months ago. I strive to learn more everyday and follow the best practices I know how, but SEO seems to be a bit of, a ghost. It always changes, it's hard to find reliable or consistant or even upto date information on. If you have any input or resources I would love to read them over?

That all being said, thank you for taking the time. It's really appreciative, and hopefully I can aviod certain things in the future before hand.

Thanks again,
Icedd
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 05 March 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

@ creativecurvemedia.ca
perhaps not using a red phone? Something else to contrast the coloring?

I would suggest a Black phone to ofset the red and the black wood background, you could put a colour overlay on using Photoshop or GMIP if you wanted to keep the same image.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1