3 Replies - 9054 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2012 - 05:07 AM Rate Topic: -----

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

[link] PHP 5.4 is Here! What You Must Know

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

http://net.tutsplus....-you-must-know/

It's been a few years since PHP 5.3.0 was released (2009.06.30 if it matters to you), but now we have 5.4.0!

Here's a good shake down if you were holding out and ignoring spoilers the last few years.

PHP 5.4 is here; the next major step forward since version 5.3 keeping PHP 6 (full Unicode support) on hold for now. The latest enhancements significantly improve its elegance, while removing deprecated functionality, resulting in a dramatic optimization of the runtime (up to 20% more speed and memory usage reduction).

Some of the key new features include traits, a shortened array syntax, a built-in webserver for testing purposes, use of $this in closures, class member access on instantiation, <?= is always available, and more!

PHP 5.4.0 significantly improves performance, memory footprint and fixes over 100 bugs. Notable deprecated/removed features include register_globals, magic_quotes (about time) and safe_mode. Also worth mentioning is the fact that multibyte support is enabled by default and default_charset has been changed from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: [link] PHP 5.4 is Here! What You Must Know

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: [link] PHP 5.4 is Here! What You Must Know

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:57 PM

As I tweeted on the day it came out, the built-in webserver is the best feature of this release. Now I can run my tests without having to worry about installing Apache or configuring IIS. Of course the array syntax is pretty sweet too. I am not sold on traits though since I am one of the believers that this kinda circumvents OOP.

But overall, great release and certainly nice to tinker with locally on my machine given the test server.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 05 March 2012 - 02:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yeah I'll have to figure out what to do with that built in webserver bit... though since I run this in XAMPP it probably won't matter much.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

Mmm, it's nice but I'm a little underwhelmed. The array shorthand, array dereferencing, and callable typehinting would be my favourites, but I can live without any of the new features. Perhaps I'm not experienced enough, or coding to the limits of the language.

I'm glad that it's finally released though. It's been a long wait :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1