6 Replies - 1786 Views - Last Post: 01 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Questions about Grad School and Hi!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

So just a little about me first, I started college in 2009 and have been in classes non stop I love learning but it has taken me a while to figure out what I REALLY wanted to learn the most. I ended up finishing all the pre-medical courses but upon getting a job working with various types of doctors found out this was not something i enjoyed. I took a semester off (kind of only took one class and worked while i figured out what i would do). I came back now and am completing a Information Technology Degree. I have 2 reasons for this first is that I really do enjoy the classes and our IST programs offer a very good web design curriculum. The second being i need to finish a degree soon do to how my scholarship is set up. I would have liked to complete a CS degree but at our school that requires 90 core credits so it's out of the question.
Today when i was looking online i found out that i only need to have 12 credits to apply to the CS master program. The thing is i have taught myself C++, Java and Python and absolutely love coding, working with a team of other good coders would be a dream job. Not saying that this qualifys me in any way for a MS in CS.
My question is do any of you have experience with someone in another major getting accepted to a MS or even Ph.D Program in CS? Is this something i should forget about or do i have a realistic chance with a non CS bachelor to get into a program. if not is there any way outside of completing a CS degree that i can make myself more appealing?

for what its worth i have a very good GPA, lots of research experience(not CS related so i don't know if it even matters) and volunteer work.

Thanks to anyone who reads

tl;dr
as a non CS major do i have a change to get into a CS MS program, provided i meet the min requirements they have set which is 12 credits in CS.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Questions about Grad School and Hi!

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Questions about Grad School and Hi!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:01 AM

Sure it will be tough. You would be lacking a four years of undergrad knowledge about computers, technology, and fizzbizznotorics. Is it impossible - no, but you would have to be able to cram all that base level joy in a fashion that prepares you for getting a masters. Of course they might just make you take the subject specific GRE and let you thrash around with that.

This of course is completely independent of a few questions. First - are you asking to by pass your undergrad and just get a masters sans any undergrad? The few schools I've seen do that only have mad requirements for work experience. Second - what are you planning on doing with this masters? If you are shooting for being a programmer, web developer, or the like leap frogging from premed to masters won't help you as much as just sucking it up and getting your undergrad in computer science.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

no i am going to have finished my undergrad in IT which at my school is the courses you have to take to learn HTML,CSS, and PHP. I will have taken the MINIMUM and i do mean minimum CS course which is required to apply to my schools MS program in CS.

hope that clears everything up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I don't have a BS in CS. I have a Bachelors of Arts. I, similar to you thought I wanted to do one thing, until I was in it for about 8 years learned, I needed to get out. I too, enjoyed coding but wasn't very good at it. I took a few classes and applied at Capitol College once I had all of the prereq classes. I'm about half done. All of the classes are taught live online. I have found that I am able to hang, but I have to work pretty hard to keep up, compared to someone who may have a CS background. You will likely have prereq classes to take, but rest assured you can get in to a masters program. I have found that if coding is what you love, CS is more diverse than just coding. Granted coding is involved, but not as much as I expected. maybe it is jsut capitol, others may be different. good luck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I think you should do your BS in CS before you think of doing your MS. The BS will teach you all the practical skills required to get a respectable job as a software programmer, and an MS will add to your skill set. Why don’t you explore what colleges offer as part of their program content in both BS and MS? That way, it will be easier for you to also decide upon what you want to major in. I feel it might be difficult getting into an MS program if you have your BS in some other totally unrelated field, medical in your case. So concentrate on getting BS, MS would not then seem a faraway dream! I have been looking for accredited schools in my area offering computer science programs and going through student reviews and testimonials as well. Stevens-Henager review seemed really helpful – consider going through peer reviews on college websites that offer the kind of CS program you want to enroll in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Your Imaginary Friend

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:47 AM

View Posttangman, on 06 March 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

no i am going to have finished my undergrad in IT which at my school is the courses you have to take to learn HTML,CSS, and PHP.

Seriously?! I'm a few units into a B.Tech majoring in CS and we've learned 3 languages. :( One of which is Java.

It would explain why Australians are better than the rest of the world, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:35 AM

Lol Gungnir... the USA developed Computer Science :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

If you really love Computer Science (like I do) then you should teach yourself at least four programming languages in your spare time and consider college courses as an extension on top of that for standards.

As far as your question is concerned for being accepted into a program, you need a strong background in mathematics and physics. If you have both of those and dedication, you should be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1