3 Replies - 951 Views - Last Post: 12 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Silverlight for a photo slideshow

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hey everybody,

A friend of mine is a photographer and is working on a portfolio website. I put in a photo slideshow implemented in jquery (I forget who's I used), but it occurs to me that it'd be easy for someone to get those pictures. Normally, someone might use flash to build a slideshow to solve this, but I don't have a copy of flash and I do have silverlight development tools. Do you think silverlight would be good for something like this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Silverlight for a photo slideshow

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Silverlight for a photo slideshow

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

How does changing the presentation technology stop people from taking screen shots? It doesn't matter how you show the photos I can still capture them.

If you are worried about theft of photos then watermark them so people don't want to take them and can't realistically re-use them.
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

screen shots are inevitable, but the resolution of screenshots will be bad enough that it wouldn't matter that much if someone claimed the pictures to be their own. Yes, watermarking is another good way to go, but that wasn't really my question.

With Flash, it's much harder to get the source image files than it would be with jquery (although people will always find a way to get them). The question was, and still is, would silverlight be good for something like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

So your source files that you are sending out over the internet are the fullsize files? That doesn't seem safe/wise.

If you are creating a preview like gallery, wouldn't it be best to manufacture screen-res images on the fly and not reveal anything of the full-size to the web client? I mean, if you only transmit a thumb (which you say you don't care about screen capture) then how would a web client get to the full size?; regardless of the presentation technology used?

I don't understand how a web client can get to the full size photo in the database unless they have gone through the proper process of buying the photo? Its your server software, right? So how would they fool your system into transmitting the fullsize photo if its not paid for, when you are using a manufactured thumbnail with watermark for the gallery?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1