4 Replies - 2204 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Solid HDD Light Yet 0 CPU Usage

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

I can't really remember, but I'm pretty sure I remember my teacher saying this was bad. It was at like 3% on my Windows 7 (of course) but the fan was off and it was silent, but my hdd light on the little display was solid. :/ I know it has some bad clusters, and after like 2 months I finally got Windows to boot, but it still takes 30 mins to boot, everything is painfully slow, can't multitask, freezes often, etc. My Ubuntu partition boot spiffily, but the Windows part makes me want to punch puppies atm. I've only had this laptop for like a year.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Solid HDD Light Yet 0 CPU Usage

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Solid HDD Light Yet 0 CPU Usage

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

If Ubuntu is working correctly I doubt you have a hardware problem. If you can't use chkdsk, then I would recommend backing up your data & reinstalling Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I did the checkdisk, that's how I knew there were bad clusters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dic Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

Unless this is for a client, I usually have a cut off point where I just reinstall Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

First thing: if its a windows platform chkdsk doesn't repair sectors or detect bad sectors, it simple re-allocated files that are corrupt and rebuilds them using the other fragments found with the same index ID for the file. If you are being asked for a chkdsk when you boot into windows and it was shut down properly last time check the hardware. Simplest and best way to do so is use the nice complilation of programs in one ISO called the Ultimate Boot CD.

We use this all the time at work for every repair we get in. Extreamly easy to use:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Burn the ISO onto a normal cd and then boot off it on the system you want to check.
FIRST thing is to do a memory test: When you boot off the cd you will be at a menu - go down to memory and hit enter, then go down to (Forget which is the latest but) Memtest4 or something like that, if errors appear on the ram take each chip out and test them individually. Its its a laptop or desktop and you have more time check the ram slot as well (Chips may fail but it may be a motherboard issue with that slot)

If no errors it will come up saying passed at the bottom.

After that reboot and boot off the cd once more. Select HDD off the menu then select diagnostics. This is a list of different HDD tests from their respectful manufacturers.

Some are not listed so. If its seagate or maxtor use seatools V1 (IMPORTANTS ONLY USE Version 1 not 2!) WD use the latest, hitachi or IBM use the one that says both names in it. Otherwise use the seatools version 1.

Some of the diagnostics test do fix corrupt sectors (not just hid them like chkdsk) If it cannot repair it would be wise to buy a new HDD

This post has been edited by blindstone: 19 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1