8 Replies - 685 Views - Last Post: 16 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Why Doesn't Anything Work in Linux?

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Why? And what DOES?! No IDE's, no Spotify, no iTunes, no games, no nothin! Why don't they realize that there's a lot of people who use Linux and would like to do more with it? :(
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Why Doesn't Anything Work in Linux?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why Doesn't Anything Work in Linux?

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

What a perennial question for Linux. I think it goes back to the "damnit, I'll just do it myself" mood that spawned linux in the first place. That and commercial apps find it hard to shoot for such a shifting target that is the umbrella of "linux"...

Not to mention there's a bit of "let's make it juuuuuust difficult enough so not everyone shows up and this whole linux thing becomes a giant sellout place"... a certain amount of cool - chic that comes from exclusivity and the ability to provide a perch to scoff at the world and be snooty with little risk of being questioned.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Given that Windows and Mac dominate the world's computers, there are not as many Linux users as you think. Now you are going to run into a higher than normal amount of them on a board like this, but in reality Linux has a small piece of the pie.

The company I work for has Linux software products for sale and we see very little uptake compared to our Windows/Mac versions. So little in fact we are thinking of discontinuing the Linux variant. It just doesn't make money.

Not only that, the small Linux market is also further fragmented by various distributions. While there has been a large gain in use for Ubuntu, there are really hundreds of distributions and we, as a company, couldn't possibly target them all and create a solid product across multiple distributions.

Linux just has to grow more and by all means, Apple isn't helping. Apple has quickly positioned itself as the Windows alternative. The position Linux once had.

So there is your answer. :)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 13 March 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

No IDE's

Eclipse, Netbeans, and MonoDevelop work. That covers like 99% of the popular languages.

View PostNeoTifa, on 13 March 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

no Spotify

You can run Spotify in Wine.
And they apparently have a Linux version in development, although it's apparently only available to some users.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

My Linux partition doesn't have enough room for Wine. :( And I didn't think NetBeans worked in Linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

After all these years using a computer, Linux should not be where it is it should be much more popular and user friendly. I think the Linux downfall is that everyone including their mothers have created a distro, there is NO unity. What works on one distro might not work on another without installing a package or re compiling the kernel.

Back in the day, there were only a handful of distros. Every so often I would check them out and they progressed well then something went wrong and all hell broke loose.

What do you mean I can't install xxx package? Oh that package management won't work on your distro.. All hardware still doesn't work "out of the box"

Eh, after 15 - 20 years, Linux still has a long way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostGunnerInc, on 13 March 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

After all these years using a computer, Linux should not be where it is it should be much more popular and user friendly. I think the Linux downfall is that everyone including their mothers have created a distro, there is NO unity. What works on one distro might not work on another without installing a package or re compiling the kernel.

Back in the day, there were only a handful of distros. Every so often I would check them out and they progressed well then something went wrong and all hell broke loose.

What do you mean I can't install xxx package? Oh that package management won't work on your distro.. All hardware still doesn't work "out of the box"

It is not a lot of effort to create a package to install an application for a particular Linux distro. You do not have to recompile anything. You just need to make sure the right package dependencies are installed, and move the appropriate files to the right directory. Developers can do this fairly easily. Third party people (like you or me) can actually contribute packages of popular software too. So if you want to do something about it, contribute.

If you want a 'user friendly' distro, then Ubuntu is making leaps and bounds in this direction. If you are unimpressed by Ubuntu's ease of use, then you probably don't understand what a massive effort they have had to make to collect all the diverse software packages together and straighten out all the problems for the user, including writing device drivers for thousands of different hardware configurations. Also, I don't understand why you think you have to recompile the kernel for applications. This is almost never required.

As Linux gains market share, more applications and device drivers will be ported to it. It is not the case that it is particually difficult to develop for Linux, but that there is not a sufficient business case to do so. As Ubuntu and Google's Android continues to make Linux more popular, then more development companies, even game developers, will slowly start to include a Linux port for more and more applications.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 15 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:09 PM

As a newcomer to linux myself I would like to give you some advice. If you do not like to find answers on your own it is going to be a frustrating experience. I have to learn it for school but I also want to learn how to use it. If you do not have that desire, you should stop. Forums like this one can be helpful but I find some linux experts have a superiority complex and will rip you apart. People expect you to do your homework and if you cannot, expect a slagging. That said, I have had all my questions answered. Many linux users use vim as their editor, right now I hate it. Hate is maybe too strong a word, but it is very annoying. Try nano to start out with. I am using openSUSE and there are many programs available. As for itunes, that is the problem of apple, not linux. I have the luxury of using VMWare to install linux, so I have tried many versions without having to make changes to my computer. There is a free virtual program, virtual box I think. If I don't like a version I just delete the folder.With VMWare I can make snap shots/backups, so if I do something fundamentally stupid I can do a roll back. There are even versions of linux you can run off a usb stick, the USAF has a version.

That said I am having an annoying issue myself which I am going to post shortly. I installed dropbox and eclipse and they are nowhere to be found, even thought they supposedly installed successfully according to YAST.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

It isn't in Apple's better interest to make iTunes for Linux. They have gone out of their way to create blocking methods in the database to prevent third party applications from working as well. Integrated hardware that is designed to work with closed source software is a difficult thing to crack. Or perhaps its' users are just content with the alternatives (I was unable to find the library name that I used years ago, with xmms), or using it on another os.

Complain all you like, you should have used Linux in it's early days when CD rom drivers were hit or miss, & you couldn't boot off USB or CD rom. It was much more fun then, possibly because I was younger & had more time to dick around with it. But every piece of software was an adventure. Then Xfree86 became Xorg & everything changed. Now you kids point & click through your wireless setup & web 2.0 out the ass. Makes me sick. Stay off my lawn.

It makes me feel even older now that I can't recall the last time someone asked for help compiling their kernel... you Linux users now a-days are soft man. Soft.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1