• +
  • Last »

360 Replies - 23769 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Okay, so some of you may know that since being laid off, I've hit a rough spot. If I thought I was struggling before, lordy lordy look at me now. Everybody in Dayton is getting laid off, so there's like thousands of more educated people getting all the good programming and engineering jobs within a 30-45 mins drive away, and nobody will hire students. I finally got a shitty 3rd shift job at Speedway (a gas station) after 2 months, but minimum wage wasn't cutting it. Plus I freaking hated that job with a burning passion of a thousand suns. When I got hired at a sandpaper factory for $9 an hour, I thought I was good, but because WSU is a cunt and only schedules the only Physics section during the middle of a good work shift, I can only work 22.5 hrs a week, cutting me back a little less than working the full time min wage shit job at Speederp. Also, since I've been a model tenant since I've been at my apartment until I got laid off (and they're nice people), they let me work for rent credits and let me pay a small payment to let me stay, but I'm still like racking up a massive debt to them (about $3k now)

Now what? Well I realized that I can't pay my $1200 worth of monthly bills on $600 a month, so it was either quit school and work full time, or move back in with my mother. Neither are good options, but they're they only options I had. I was content with the taking a break from school, at least, until I realized then I'd have to start paying back my student loans. Well, fuck. So now the only option is moving in with somebody. Nobody in the family will let me move in because my mom bad mouths me to everybody so they think I'm some horrendous, lazy slob and they wont take in my pets (2 kittens and a guinea pig.I'm not getting rid of them, don't even suggest it. They're a part of me now.) Well, I'm not a slob, but I can only really clean on the weekends (when I do it, it's an ordeal, trust me), and my cats happen to enjoy making toilet paper confetti all over my apartment. So the only option left is to move back in with my mom.

My mother and I DO NOT get along at all. Also, my brother is still there. The only reason I haven't moved back in already was because my mom said "legally, you can't live here. The courts said so 'cuz [my brother] is still here". I only just found out recently that was a freaking lie because she didn't want me there that bad. She says she'll take me in after months of fighting over it, but I can't bring the guinea pig (she likes cats, but she's already got 2, so this should be interesting). Also, I'll have to get a storage unit for all my shit, and I can only bring the essentials. The thing that I'm most concerned about with storage units is moisture and bugs, because obviously I can't bring my excessive amount of books with me, and I don't want them ruined. Also, my collection of movies and such that my mom and I own that I can't fit in there, and my old clothes. I'm gonna donate a lot of shit, but I keep some clothes as "goals" for losing weight, and I have sentimental clothes I don't want to get rid of (some of my prom dresses and stuff). Also, my full size mattress probably can't come, and I'll have to stick to the day bed in my old room.

Do you think this shit will get damaged? Do any of you have any experience with storage units? :( Also, what would you consider essential? So far I have

• 7 tshirts
  • 3 pants
  • underclothes and socks
  • tvs
  • xbox/ps2/nes
  • cats/guinea pig
  • treadmill (will stay in garage)

TL;DR: Life is fucked up atm, moving back in with mom, wat do? What do I bring?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

Drop(sell/throwaway) the PS2 and Nes (download an emulator), keep computer, small bed, cats and 3 days worth of clothes.

You said TVs so sell one, pocket the money. Sell the treadmill and jog around the neighborhood.

Also, with the storage units, look for the kind with a concave in the center of the lane (that's where the water settles when it rains so it won't get flooded)

[S] v [S] <-example (use your imagination)

This post has been edited by Creecher: 13 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

POPULAR

sell everything. move away. never look back.
Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Sell the TV's, books and games. They're luxuries, it's painful, you'll survive, and afterwards you'd be surprised how little you want them back. Download ebooks for the tablet I think you mentioned having (keep that, always have a tablet) if you want books- there are plenty of places to get them online. You might be able to sell some other personal stuff (bed/mattress, furniture, etc) so look at that.

For the Guinea pig, don't sell it, don't kill it, etc. I'd recommend 'loaning' it to a local kindergarten so that the kids have a classroom pet- a pet in a steel cage that they can't get their fingers through. It will benefit from the attention (under the supervision of the teacher, of course), you'll benefit from the stress relief of not having to deal with it or worry about it, you can visit anytime, and when circumstances change you can bring it home again.

Clothes as weight loss goals... well, hurry up, and donate the old ones, then.

Sell the treadmill. I know it's so tempting to keep, but if you want to exercise at home at odd hours, there are all sorts of exercises you can do (everything from yoga to calisthenics to anaerobic body weight exercises), including this neat thing called jogging in place, which is like being on a treadmill, only free, and you feel like less of an idiot pretending your jogging somewhere because you haven't spent 800 bucks on a stretch of black rubber road to run on without going anywhere. If you still feel like an idiot, you can do this neat thing called 'jogging', which is like being on a treadmill, only free, and you actually go places.

About Mom's place, Klingon had the best advice in an earlier thread: get a box you can lock, keep your shit in there, keep your space clean. For stuff you need, you know that better than we do. Don't bring stuff you don't use, don't bring stuff you can't (or shouldn't) use, and you're probably already set with that.

Also, invest in headphones. Find something to blare in your skull to drown out mommy when you need to, and you might invest in a padlock for the door to your old bedroom if you really need the privacy. Worst case scenario, if your mom tries cutting the power to get you to come out, you can work out something with the neighbors about using their wifi network in emergencies. ;)

edit: fuck my advice (except for the bit about how to find a home for the guinea pig, do that). Just do what sloth said. Go somewhere exotic that has jobs.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 13 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

If you're going to move, take it with you or sell it. You don't want to be tied down to your shit stuck in storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:17 PM

POPULAR

You have no prospects, the job market were you are sucks, and your parental support system is nonexistent?

Leave. Now. Don't look back. You can NOT have a job anywhere. If you know anyone who is elsewhere and can help you out, go there.

You do not move into a crappy situation, you move out of it. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

Wow.. what a bummer of a sit'ch..

As for what you need to take with you.. about three or so days of clothes (should be a bit easier with warmer weather moving in).. any laptop/pc you have.. and your pets.

As for what stays - try and off load that treadmill... if you have multiple tvs collapse down to one.. I probably wouldn't punt the xbox, ps2, or nes because my guess is you have a bunch of games, right?

As for storage garages - well it depends on how they look. If they are dry and not subject to any baseboard rot or any stains on the ceiling/inside roof you are probably okay. Humidity might do a number on your books and electronics, but that's probably only in the south near hotlanta that would be a problem. If you are really concerned see about snagging a few wood pallets and putting them down before you dump in your goods. Throwing a plastic tarp/cover over it all wouldn't be a bad idea.

A tarp on the floor then the wood pallets would be ideal... oh and also leave some space between the walls and your gear - it allows air to circulate.

One last thing - make sure you leave isles so you can get to the your crap in the back without having to take a third of the front out. Pack smart - know what you might need quick access too and what might be least needed.. put the least in the back and work front.

It might bet worth pricing out a Pod as well.

Of course there's the option of dropping everything and just moving out to a place with a better job... Sure school will be put on hold but to hell with it and being caught in a downward spiral of poverty.

edit:
Also - flip through "Maddie the Coonhound".. it might help you feel better!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

I think it might be time for you to follow the lead of our old friend Christoph and take a life-changing leap. As baavgai has said, you really have no reason to stay where you're at and you can easily be unemployed elsewhere, but being in that other place might offer you a lot better prospects. You've made quite a few friends here on DIC over the years, and I'm sure someone out there would be willing to help you out in some way and offer you a couch to crash on for a bit if you need, but just like dorknexus said, you've got two choices for your stuff. Take it with you, or sell it/get rid of it. Having to keep your shit in storage is only going to result in you losing it eventually anyway. If you can stand to put it in storage indefinitely, then you can do without it. Take only what you need and never look back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

You guys keeps saying "move, move, move", but where do I go with no money? How do I get there with no money? I chose school over working full time, so I can't leave it, as it was my decision. I'd contemplate moving out of state if I had somebody there that I knew at least so I wouldn't be alone, a job lined up, and could transfer my credits, but not only does this move have to happen, like, yesterday, but my gpa is shit from freshmanitis then working 2 jobs. Probably no college will take my credits. Sucks, too, I worked hard to get it a 2.5, now it's probably a 2.3 again. :(

Also, this baby right here has gotten me through plenty of rough times, and it shall again now.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 13 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

about school; you can transfer credits from any class over a 2.0 gpa, as a rule of thumb, which means you won't have anything below that, and so your GPA will get higher.

About moving out of state: I moved to the other side of the fucking world. You need somebody who can show you where the toilet is, where the food is, and who can tell you if it's safe to drink tap water (it isn't- there, now you don't even need that). After that, you just need time to explore, recover from jet lag (no, you cannot get real jet lag from moving to a time zone with a 2-hour difference, jet lag comes from over 6 hours difference), and figure out what to do, before figuring out what the essentials are and how to get them.

Look, this shit isn't difficult. you can study anywhere. Why stick with bad grades and a shitty family if you don't have to? It's your life. Live it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hrm.... Okay, so here's a new question for you guys: who will let me couch surf until I get on my own 2 feet again? Preferably in an area with a decent enough economy that will hire a student? Also a decent engineering college nearby?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

POPULAR

I'd be happy to offer the spare bedroom in my apartment, but somehow I don't think the wife would appreciate me bringing home some random chick from the internet.
Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Lawl, thanks for the sentiment.

Don't everybody jump at once! No! Stop! :P

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 13 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

If i were you, i would probably finish up the current semester of school as best as i could and move in with my mom. Then come summer, work as many hours at the worst minimum wage jobs as i could, and plan on moving elsewhere. Then you have a few months of working paying back debts for as long as you need and finding somewhere you can relocate to and go to school. If you need to take a break off of school, i thought you were able to hold paying back off for up to 6 months or something? I could be wrong and that might only be for new grads?... sorry to hear about your situation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

I think it's up to 6 months you can go payment free, but still. That's probably what I'm going to have to do. But still, the question is where do I move?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »