Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

I'm by no means a person who has any experience with this but I would like to point out how little you can comfortably live on if you give up some of your attachments. I actually think the storage compartment is a bad idea; just sell that stuff rather than having it weigh you down.

things I think I need:
*a place to live with utilities and a bed
*a place to do work(school or public library. don't have to pay for this)
*food
*clothes
*transportation(again, can be free)
*computer
*toiletries
*school supplies(cheap)

When I went to boarding school, the last 3 things were the only things I had to worry about and that all fit in a 6x72x36 inch box that fit under my bed(well, later I got a desktop and that didn't fit). My uncle tells a story about when he was in the navy where he had even less space to store his stuff...which beings me to my next statement, what about military? the military is my fall back if my plans fail; they can help pay for school, give you job experience, you don't have to worry about food, utilities, a bed, a roof, clothes, or toiletries and you still get paid a half decent wage. My uncle has tried numerous times to make it my first choice but It's still my second. He has the saying "where else do you get to travel all over the world AND blow it up?" and it's a pretty tempting offer :P

TL;DR I'm not that experienced but I can see an issue here. you have to give somethings up it sounds like. it sounds like your martial possessions are weighing you down. getting rid of them is my advice. the military might not be a bad option.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 13 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I already tried the whole military route. Didn't work. Now I've grown a new hatred for this country that is causing me to desire fleeing the country as soon as possible before it implodes in on itself. Stuff I'm talking about for the storage facility would be my microwave, table, bed, dressers I can't fit, etc. I was hoping for this to be a temporary thing, so when I get back out of my mom's house, I don't have to start out from square 1 again. Last I heard the hiring freeze at the base where I worked was over in October, but we don't know if they're going to renew or rebuild the STEP program that I was employed in. I was going to be promoted to a GS-5 too had they not laid me off. :( And transferred to the dept of my dreams: programming simulators. If I get my job back at the base, and get my GS-5 which I should be eligible for, I could be out of her house for at least a year (it's like a 1 year contract). That's another main reason I stuck with the school option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• or something bad...real bad.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

get the fuck out of ohio
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Yeah, thanks Justin, I think I've gotten that by now. ;___; I'm going to be so alone.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Have you ever considered doing some code contracts or something off of vworker/elance/odesk etc? I know it would suck to essentially work two jobs but if you can pull out a few good contracts you could make a few extra grand on top of what you make at your minimum wage job. One contract and you could pay off the 3k debt to your land lord for instance.

A few more contracts and you could get enough money to support a move to another state or something... or finish school.

Back in my early days I was in a similar situation working for food at one point. I made do with crap jobs until I saved enough to finish school. You just have to buckle down and get creative on finding extra cash. Don't want to be back with your mom? Then don't! Should just encourage you to get more creative and find jobs. Look to the internet for some opportunities. You can work for someone across the planet and still not have to leave home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

I have no idea what I'm doing though. I've never taken a freelance project before. I'm not even that good at programming. I build circuits, that's my thing. :( Well, I'm probably better than I give myself credit for, but I would have no idea what I'd be doing, and the largest project I've worked on was some stupid hash table database to track employees in console. Ghey!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

And you think you're not alone there?

OK, I know you're not me and I know I suggest goofy shit. Bearing that in mind, here is my suggestion:

Get your shit together, sell *everything* you can, donate your pets to worthy causes (donate the cats to a nursing home, for example) where you won't feel sad for them (feeling sad you can't see them isn't the same thing; separate those two and figure out how to do it). Scrape together every penny you can, and move abroad.

The most expensive part of moving abroad is the ticket. Don't worry about language barriers; you can break them, and in virtually every circumstance, you can find someone to communicate through.

With all of this in mind, I'd suggest going to someplace in east or southeast Asia, or some place in central or south america. Eastern Europe is probably also an option, but I don't know enough about that to give an informed opinion. What you want is someplace with cheap (or even free) universities, low living expenses, and the kind of rent you can pay for with a few hours of freelancing. For reference, I'm in Thailand, my rent (on a townhouse with 2 bdr/ 2 bath / office/ kitchen / living area / 2 patios / balcony / parking) is about 115 bucks a month, not including utilities (water is usually 10 bucks, electricity has been about 30 lately).

Once you've picked a place, you need to figure out work. You do code; that's valuable for freelancing, but it's far from your only option. Other good options include teaching English (via TEFL/TOEFL/IELTS type schools or private tutoring, if you don't have any certifications, and at government schools if you do)(certification, by the way, involves a 2-week course that teaches basic teaching methods, how to deal with kids, usually gives good pointers on the culture and living in it, and can be done any time year round. It's not completely worthless, they do teach useful stuff, but it's far from rocket science), general tutoring, editing/copywriting work, etc. I know a few people here who do blog content for content farms, they get a list of topics and get paid something like 10 bucks an article for about 2 hours of work (generally). Seems small, doesn't it? keep in mind, that's 1/3 of your rent right there, or roughly 8-10 meals at the nearest restaurant. Needless to say, if you're working daily, or even just a few days a week, you can save at least some of it.

In southeast Asia especially, if you're a white woman teaching English who knows a few words of whatever the local language is, everybody wants to take you places and feed you random things. You'll be invited to a lot of people's houses for dinner, and so on, and so you can save a lot on food that way. White women who speak english natively are incredibly in demand here, because nobody thinks they came here for the sex, drugs, or alcohol (at least by default), so nobody is worried about letting them work with kids. I don't know if it's the same in Central America or anywhere else, but it's one advantage to be aware of that you should take advantage of if at all possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Have you gone to the WSU student career services program? While in school I also managed to find a job on campus through a similar program. These programs are also regularly posting jobs for students. So 1) You don't have to fear them turning you down because you are a student 2) The employers know you will be learning on the job and 3) It can often help you with your studies and you can claim job industry experience after you graduate.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 13 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

@Chos Ich will nach Deutschland gehen.

@Martyr yes I have. My GPA is too low for every job they link me to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 13 March 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

I chose school over working full time, so I can't leave it, as it was my decision.

I read everything through your 2nd post, nothing more.

I don't see where you've contemplated getting a roomate.

Life is a bitch, but perseverance & good decision making will pay off.

Also, I'm just saying, you're chosen school over work, school doesn't make money it cost money & it's 'tomorrow' promises. Like Martyre suggested, work two jobs. I've done it many, many times. I also moved away from my parents half way across state, two hours away. Because that's where work was. In Sandusky there isn't shit for technology. Everything is hotel & factory work. You ask how to move with no money? Apply for jobs online, sell your belongings except for clothes, & go for it. Some places even have programs to assist with the move. I worked for a place that bought out a business in Michigan, & they actually paid an extra $10k to employees to stay with the company & move to Ohio.

Watch the movie Pursuit of Happiness. America is the land of opportunity. You just have to bust ass, rise above everyone else & do what it takes to kick ass.

I started my business with $13 in rolled coins & an argument with my arrogant exwife. I now have two employees. & if you think any bit of it has been easy, your dead wrong.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

I forgot to put that. The only friend who has a stable income already has a place and said there was no way. My advertising for a roommate turned dry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Then you have already answered your own question :

• no jobs
  • no friend assistance
  • no trustworthy roommate possibilities

Move up out of that dump.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Join the military.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:22 AM

Sorry, you didn't list school as a current limiting factor. I assumed you'd finish, either graduated or given up.

You should be at the end of term, so it doesn't change much. If you're currently having a bad time of it, it changes less. A graduate degree is just that, a degree. If you find growth in the process of higher education then it's working for you. If you expect employment out of it... good luck with that. A degree is nice resume fluff. Completing it might give you some satisfaction, it might not. It will definitely make you poorer in the short term with really little promise in the long term.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »