• Last »

360 Replies - 22446 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

POPULAR

Yeah, last I checked, degrees don't include GPA. They'll show any honors, but a 3.2 and a 2.5 look the same on that particular piece of paper. More advice from members with a bed time...
Was This Post Helpful? 10
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

POPULAR

View Posth4nnib4l, on 03 May 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

More advice from members with a bed time...

Posted Image I lol'd. Would lol again.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:25 AM

POPULAR

View Postcreativecoding, on 03 May 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

I don't see what's wrong with advising against becoming a burden and leech to your own mother. You don't have to blow off someones good advice just because of their age.

because YOU are still a burden and a leech. the only people who can tell others to stop being a burden and a leech are those who have successfully accomplished not being a burden and leech.

you don't take advice from a poor man on how to be rich, you don't take advice from a kid on how to be an adult.
Was This Post Helpful? 12
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 03 May 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

The problem with Ohio citizens is that its' easier to bitch about their situation than to actually do something about it. What I've found, living in Ohio for most of my life, is that there is this disconnect that everywhere else in the United States is peachy. "I wish I lived in Florida, it's warm all year round" "I wish I lived in California, where the people are more diverse" "There is no work".

this is how i feel about people here in buffalo. people bitch and moan about buffalo sucks, there are no jobs, it snows too much, if i were in cali i would easily make 100k blah blah blah. its so ridiculous how many people just think nice things should just get handed to you and all that crap. I love it in buffalo and i've had no problem becoming successful here, but yeah, i had to work for it. (this has nothing to do with you neo, im just ranting about this crap)
/rant
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

it's not different in albuquerquer or anywhere really. people out east always wanna go west, people out west wanna go east, north-south, south-north, etc etc. it's easier to blame location than to internalize any difficulties and fix yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

Not to pile on but there is also the relationship of parent to child that'd be helpful to have when trying to gauge leechy-ness. Typical parents will put up with an asston of shit other folks would not solely because it's their child. That's not to say you should abuse such but the tolerances tend to be somewhat more elastic when it's parent/child.

Inasmuch as Buffalo goes: did they every get around to burning all of Cheektowaga/Lacakawanna/Tonawanda down yet? Lawd knows when I lived in Toronto, the Buffalo evening newscasts gave you the impression that folks loved the area so much they wanted to vigorously burn the fuck out of it. At least 1-2 house fires per night after September was known as a "slow news day" in western NY.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#262 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 03 May 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

this is how i feel about people here in buffalo. people bitch and moan about buffalo sucks, there are no jobs, it snows too much, if i were in cali i would easily make 100k blah blah blah. its so ridiculous how many people just think nice things should just get handed to you and all that crap. I love it in buffalo and i've had no problem becoming successful here, but yeah, i had to work for it. (this has nothing to do with you neo, im just ranting about this crap)
/rant

There's one guy who loves your city. This one goes out to you, bflosabre91.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

ive never heard of that guy and i'm going to try my hardest to forget those 30 seconds of watching that video.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 03 May 2012 - 06:16 AM, said:

View PostCelerian, on 17 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

I've bought my own house. I got married to my girlfriend. We've had two children. I have had two new cars. I've still got my fair share of debt, and its not always comfortable cushy living, but I have a lot of stuff that I want.

The problem with Ohio citizens is that its' easier to bitch about their situation than to actually do something about it. What I've found, living in Ohio for most of my life, is that there is this disconnect that everywhere else in the United States is peachy. "I wish I lived in Florida, it's warm all year round" "I wish I lived in California, where the people are more diverse" "There is no work".

When man clubbed animals over the head for food, everyone worked or you didn't eat. Citizens in Ohio seem to forget that. Hell, maybe it's just the way kids are being raised, when they are given a car for their 16th birthday party. I'm incredibly luck that I wasn't raised to live like this. Bitch & complain until just enough to get by lands on my plate.

There are ups & down anywhere you live. Natural disasters, crime, poverty. It's what you do about it that dictates both your future & your personality. A lot of people in Ohio are just unhappy bumps on a log.

I love it here.

& good for you, thank you for posting about your accomplished life. Show these other chumps what is missing from their picture.

I just get uppity when someone talks about Ohio like its a hell hole. Its treated me fairly well for 26 years. It isn't the best, but its far from the worst. I'm not trying to brag, because life is far from perfect. Could I do better somewhere else? Sure. But I could also do worse.

I recently went to a concert (Dismantled) and was talking with the guy, who apparently decided he had enough of living with his parents (he's just slightly older than I am), so around 24 or so, he moved out and ended up living in a rehearsal space that belonged to his live drummer. Rent was only $100, it had no windows and now shower. He had a microwave to make food, but if he didn't eat in his car, bugs and vermin would come in and try to take the food. He's lived and slept in his car at Skid Row in LA, just slightly better than a homeless bum, all at the same time writing and making music. The album that came out of that process is one of the heaviest, darkest albums to come out in a long time, and it speaks a lot for what he's been through. Moral is, you can accomplish anything, you just have to want it bad enough to put in the effort. Someone said something about digging yourself out by your finger nails, and they're absolutely right.

I wish everyone could live like my one friend who barely had to work through college because he had his parents money to surf on. He is now very close to finishing his PHd, he owns his own company through Ryerson University up near Toronto, and he's met so many famous world and industry leaders that it makes me crazy. He's been on several technology related TV shows, even Discovery channel. This is the kind of person who has went to sleep early in the afternoon just to find orgies erupting in his living room. He's gotten into an accident while taking a taxi and the night somehow winds up with him at a huge party. He's constantly in the right place at the right time and has the right connections.

Most of us don't, and we just need to struggle for what we want. Tifa seems like a strong enough person that she'll be able to figure something out if she forces herself to do so. At least your not living in a bug infested rehearsal space in the bad parts of LA.

Speaking of Gary, the guy who lived in a rehearsal space, his latest album has some words that are apropos for anyone trying to get by doing whatever they can.

"You gotta talk, talk, talk
Til' you're spitting out words
You gotta walk, walk, walk
Til' you're stuck in their dirt
You gotta fuck, fuck, fuck
Til' you feel like you're grinding metal

The whore inside me
It won't let go, it won't give up, I know
The war inside me
It won't stop now, it won't give up, I know
And when I'm open
There'll be a million more, there'll be a billion more to go
And they have all got
The nerve to say, the fucking nerve to say
I've got a soul."

Basically, if you want to get ahead in life, you need to do whatever you can until you reach your goal. And all of us, no matter if we're programmers, musicians, artists, nurses... we've all had to sell ourselves in one way or another to climb obstacles, and life is just a matter of how many times you can sell yourself and still let people tell you that you're just a human being. In the end, we're all whores to whatever corporate purse pays our bills, and none of us have souls, because we've sold them to get some scratch.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

I sold my soul to make a record. And you bought one...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

So... some dude living in a car in California proves that Ohio doesn't suck. Got it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I enjoyed the part where someone gave life advice with a serious face that was lifted from song lyrics.

I especially liked:

You gotta fuck, fuck, fuck
Til' you feel like you're grinding metal

...'cause earlier on I said:

View PostCraig328, on 14 March 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

"hey...I could always hook".

It's like I'm a fortune teller.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

@BenignDesign: Something like that.

@Craig328: You have no idea how difficult it was to get that to all work out correctly. Eagles lyrics just didn't have the right edge to them.

This post has been edited by Celerian: 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

View PostCelerian, on 03 May 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

if you want to get ahead in life, you need to do whatever you can until you reach your goal.

The only thing I would change from your above, is you do what it takes. Not just what you can. Rise above.

View Posth4nnib4l, on 03 May 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

I sold my soul to make a record. And you bought one...

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#270 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 03 May 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

View PostCelerian, on 03 May 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

if you want to get ahead in life, you need to do whatever you can until you reach your goal.

The only thing I would change from your above, is you do what it takes. Not just what you can. Rise above.

Heh. If you reach your goal, you've obviously not been ambitious enough.
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" -Robert Burns
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »