360 Replies - 24093 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Totally Going All LiveJournal On You Guys, But I Need Advice

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

POPULAR

View PostNeoTifa, on 05 May 2012 - 04:35 PM, said:

Put a good word in for me, duders. Got a second interview for a company in Columbus Thursday. I'll be doing industrial technician work.

I got the job, guys!!! I got the job! It's only for 3 months at first, but if I do well I'll be hired on full time and then I can work my way up to a controls engineer. Man today was an exciting day. Got roids shot in my butt, got a good job, etc. Man oh man, despite the infection making my ear feel like it's exploding out of my face, I feel like a million bucks right now. I'm just... omgomgomgomogmogmomgogomg finally some good news. <3<3<3
Was This Post Helpful? 11
  • +
  • -

#317 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Let me be the first to say:

*streaks and throws confetti*
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Damn Jon, you beat me to it. Congratulations, Neo! It's about time things started going your way. Now get in there and blow them away and prove that you're an employee that they can't afford to be without.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

POPULAR

View PostKilorn, on 31 May 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Now get in there and blow them

This almost always works.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Sad thing is, I've been sick, so I called off my current job tuesday then left early today to go back to the doctors, and then I have to tell them tomorrow that I'm quitting and not giving them a 2 weeks notice? I feel bad, but hey, whatever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

You really should put in a 2 weeks notice just so you don't burn a bridge with them in case you ever need to come back in the future. Anyway, congratulations on the new job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 31 May 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Sad thing is, I've been sick, so I called off my current job tuesday then left early today to go back to the doctors, and then I have to tell them tomorrow that I'm quitting and not giving them a 2 weeks notice? I feel bad, but hey, whatever.

Well, everyone hates to do this type of thing but you just need to let them know your situation and explain to them that it's something you can't pass up. Apologize and thank them for the opportunity. If they become angry and upset, again, thank them for the opportunity and leave. You are in this for you and if something comes along that will help you through life, take it and run with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#323 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Best to give notice, as bingy says. Even if you know for sure you'll never need them again, it's best to treat people more decently than you have to.
If you can't, you can't, but it's best if you can arrange it. "Sorry, I can't start for two weeks - it's a courtesy to my current employer".
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

See Neotifa? I knew you could do it. You just need to apply yourself and never give up. But you know, while you have the potential for a great job you should never sit back and rest on it. I would continue to boost your tech skills and when you are ready jump to a great programming job or something if that is what you want to do in life.

But anyways, congrats! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

It's very rare that a new employer won't allow you to give notice at the job you're leaving, and it is often a way to help boost their initial impression of you.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

I say burn the bridge. They haven't used your talents. Fuck their sandpaper.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

There is something to think about in all of this. What I've perceived from a company that wants you right away and won't hold a job for you long enough to gracefully exit from your current employment probably isn't looking at you for your credentials as much as they just want a worker to do the job. The types of people with this mentality that I've seen interview people are usually full of themselves and demand a sort of respect without really earning it. If you are impressive to this company, they should have no problem in you giving your previous employer notice and would expect the same if they were in that situation. It also portrays to them that "Hey, my job where I'm at is important and I need to make sure they have someone to replace me." It's not a matter that you're sorting sandpaper, it's that you did it so well that it will be hard to find a replacement ;)

Now take this with the knowledge that I don't know the conditions of your current employment and I don't know what went on in the interview for the new employer, I just wanted to express experiences I've had and/or seen in these types of situations.

Just the other day, I was visiting my previous employer and he was telling me about a guy that walked up to him and told him he was taking another job and was leaving right away (3 hours into the shift). When the foreman asked if he was giving notice he stated that he wasn't and was leaving right away. 3 days later the guy called back begging for his job back because the job he took wasn't what he expected. The bridge was burned there was no going back.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#328 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostChoscura, on 31 May 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

I say burn the bridge. They haven't used your talents. Fuck their sandpaper.

You don't want to be the person who treats other people this way. It's a lot easier to get by in the world if you treat people decently and honestly, period. It's a pain in the ass trying to sort out all of the people you know and decide which of them deserves fair play.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

I usually go based on how they have treated me during my employment. If the company didn't give a shit about me, wasn't flexible or understanding and treated me as just another worker, I say screw them and not give them the two weeks.

However, if they have been good people and helped you out and treated their workers well, I respect them with two weeks notice.

I have been in both situations. One company I was at had a boss that was total shit and you know, I had no problems with ditching them. Pissed them off but hey, maybe they will learn to treat their employees a bit better.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Well the thing is they're doing a project and need me right away. Having been really sick when I first started the job and then really bad now, I'd say that I'm on my last graces with them anyways. I've probably called off about 4 times already and left home early twice, and I've only been there 3.5 months. Considering I've told them I was looking for another job (they supported that) and they just cut my hours again (without explicitly telling me at that), I think they'll understand. My mom doesn't think it's going to work out because I told her most of the employees say they start around 5 am and it's a 1.5 hr drive, but I can do this. I mean, if I can work 50hrs a week, go to school full time, and only sleep 7 hours a week (maybe) for a few months then I can handle a change in sleep schedule again. I don't mind the sandpaper job, it was one of my better jobs, but I can't pass this up and I have to start Wednesday. Besides, they're perpetually hiring at that factory, so they were looking to hire more people anyways. That's why they said they were cutting hours, because they don't have enough employees here for the 2nd shift to justify staying open that late. (went from 8 to 6, now it's 5). Besides, everybody's graduated now, so they have all the part timers going full time plus a buttload of summer hires coming in. They'll be fine.

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 31 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »