Coding on 11" laptop screen?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 8097 Views - Last Post: 15 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Coding on 11" laptop screen?

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have had experience with coding on 11" because I'm thinking about getting the Lenovo Thinkpad x120e 11" to serve me for the next 4 years. I really love how the thinkpads look, and I've never had one, only seen them. I'm probably choosing to get a Thinkpad over a Macbook Pro because the Macbook Pro's all seem VERY overpriced... And I'm currently a student majoring in computer science in my freshman year. What do you guys think? Should I try to look for a bigger screen? The bigger screens tend to not last as long and that's really going to affect me... And carrying a 17" around all day can be heavy as I have exprienced with my 17.3" gateway p7805u gaming laptop and the battery...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Coding on 11" laptop screen?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Coding on 11" laptop screen?

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Should I try to look for a bigger screen?

Yes.

The bigger screens tend to not last as long and that's really going to affect me...

What isn't going to last you long? The screen? The laptop as a whole? Potency? Bed room longevity?

And carrying a 17" around all day can be heavy as I have exprienced with my 17.3" gateway p7805u gaming laptop and the battery...

Exercise is a bad thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 14 March 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

Should I try to look for a bigger screen?

Yes.

The bigger screens tend to not last as long and that's really going to affect me...

What isn't going to last you long? The screen? The laptop as a whole? Potency? Bed room longevity?

And carrying a 17" around all day can be heavy as I have exprienced with my 17.3" gateway p7805u gaming laptop and the battery...

Exercise is a bad thing?

BY last longer, I mean the battery, sorry. And exercise isn't a bad thing, it's just that I don't want to be lugging around a 5-7 pound laptop with some thick textbooks. And not to mention the battery that I'll probably have to carry around if the laptop doesn't last as long.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• >>──(Knee)──►
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

I think that 11" really is too small for programming. I'm currently using a 15.3" laptop at home, for casual projects and the IDEs that I use (Code::Blocks, Aptana Studio) really do feel like a bit of a squeeze. You've also got to think about the laptop's specs; the manufacturer is not going to be able to fit much into such a small form factor. Laptops really are a compromise for size and portability, I would strongly recommend going for a 15.3", or even a 17" if you can handle the extra weight. This really is a case of a couple more inches making all the difference! :D
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostRetardedGenius, on 14 March 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

This really is a case of a couple more inches making all the difference! :D

Quoted because I laughed and my mind is in the gutter as well as it is the truth about laptops.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

11 inch is WAY to small.

You don't necessarily have to have 17 inches though.

Go with like 15 inch, my girlfriend has a nice gateway 15 inch screen and it's not bad to do a little work on in a pinch.

What I would do though, have a 21 or 23 inch display at home and connect to THAT when you are at home. You will love it (make sure you have like an i5 sandybridge for the chip and you can have the graphics power combined with lowerish power consumption). Srsly I could never code at under 1920x1200 on a habitual basis... shit I can hardly code with out 2 monitors.

I note my girlfriends computer at 15inches, it's this one:

http://www.engadget....0-sandy-bridge/

we paid about 500 dollars for it, and it just right for her. It has great battery life, and great portability. I guarantee my girlfriend does more commuting with that laptop than you ever will. She rides the train 30 miles each way several times a week for school and between her house and mine... and she's only 4'8" and weighs 70lbs... if she can handle, you better be able to.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 14 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Wait, I thought Gateway died after their Windows ME spree of crappy machines?

But aside from that I agree with everyone else, I find it hard working on a 21" screen, nevermind 11". My laptop was 15.4" and it was always too small, especially for GUI design in Visual Studio or Expression Blend as a good example. You have to remember that if you are working in a visual designer, you have to fit the main app (well, you don't, but for maximum ease you do!) sized at a reasonable resolution, in addition to the sidebars, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

No they didn't go away, and they were since bought out by I believe Acer. The quality of their build went up significantly then (IMO)... not top of the line, but good enough for my taste.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

I haven't read all these posts so if this has been said sorry if you want the 11 inch get it but buy a second lcd screen so you can hook up the 11 inch to it (kill two birds with one stone)

This post has been edited by m_wylie85: 14 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

Well, I've coded on a 12 inch netbook screen and managed well enough to be honest, but it's very hard to be productive:
Posted Image

I also have gotten too used to coding on two screens, but 11 is too small for one screen. I would almost say for being really productive, 15 might not be enough real-estate for multi-tasking. Maybe because I've been mostly doing mobile stuff lately but I tend to have at least my IDE plus an image editor always open, sometimes a sound editor or full out music production program, and some other editors as well. Alt-tabbing isn't all that productive with a lot of crap, so more screen space would be helpful. I'd honestly go no lower than 17 inches if I wanted productivity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

This needs to be said:

Fuck textbooks. Get the ebook version of your textbooks and put them in a tablet. you'll spend the same amount of money, save a bunch of trees, get more done, and end up carrying less.

This also needs to be said:

Get a bigger laptop. The smallest you can reasonably code on is about 13", and that's pushing it. Ideally you want two screens- one just for code, and the other for all of the other ide features (project navigation, libraries, error tracking, documentation, design outlines, etc). And here, the tablet is also useful, because you can use your tablet (whatever variety it is) as an external monitor for these kinds of things, no matter how slow or shitty it is.

If you don't get a bigger screen or in some way increase your screen real estate, you need to compensate somehow, and that's usually by efficiency with the IDE's you use, and if you're using any variety at all, you end up needing to learn keyboard shortcuts for all of them- which is a pain in the ass. Life is much simpler if you can just learn the basics (run, debug, fullscreen) and keep everything else off on another screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I don't care
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

http://www.gscreenla...GB-RAM_p_9.html

Get that. That's my dream "mobile command center"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

Okay so if I shouldn't get the 11", then I was thinking about getting the Macbook Pro... because how long do 17.3" laptops tend to last? I COULD just fix up my 17.3" gaming laptop for $100 but the battery life on that thing is horrid so I wouldn't be able to take notes or do mobile computing for very long. The battery is also super heavy to to lug around. As Choscura said, how about a macbook pro probably 15" but if im low on money then 13" combined with the iPad? iPad 3 is coming out so iPad 2 will probably be dropping rapidly in price.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

On that note I am going to move this to the hardware section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I code & web develop on a 15" laptop. Have and prefer this method over my desktop.

If you feel the need for bigger monitors at times plug into a docking station and rock the dual monitors.

CTRL-ALT arrow keys is nice when I want to utilize multiple desktops on lappy, but it serves my needs fine. I have a Windows Lappy (R.I.P just passed yesterday) in which I would do graphics work (Firefox, Photoshop, Illustrator) The most useful thing about my setup is rocking out some code on my laptop at home and then realizing I want to go out and get coffee and look like a college hipster - I can take my laptop there, port scan and rock code all at once.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +