New Laptop For Programming school (2 choices)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 5077 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Poll: New Laptop For Programming school (2 choices) (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Laptop

1. Macbook Pro (11 votes [57.89%])

Percentage of vote: 57.89%

2. HP 8560W (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New Laptop For Programming school (2 choices)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

So for school (Computer Programming) I have to choose between 2 different computers. Unfortunately it's non-negotiable one or the other.

The two choices are either.
Posted Image
Both come with a backpack, and both are supported on campus (obviously), They also come Pre-loaded with software for my specific program. (can be run on either, or using bootcamp).

I have always used PC (windows/linux) but own an IPod nano, and touch. I also own a Droid. So connecting devices together is not important.
Basically, I want more input as far as the community goes. This does not need to turn into a flame war and I would like reasons to backup your decision.

This post has been edited by Utael: 15 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New Laptop For Programming school (2 choices)

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New Laptop For Programming school (2 choices)

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

I have a very similar MBP as the one you have shown. It's fantastic-- I run Windows and Linux inside a virtual machine (Parallels Desktop). I can even play games like Crysis 2 within the virtual machine and no hiccups.

I say go for the Mac.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Mac also. You can run VMWare with windows if you absolutely have to, but Mac is always the better choice. The OS if more user friendly, the parts and top-of-the-line, and it's just a better user experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Honestly, BBuschRN, that's highly subjective. Not everybody likes the OSX look and feel.

But the Macbook does have superior parts. I'm not sure about the CPU though. The i7 has twice the cache and cores the i5 has, but the i5 has higher clock speed. I can't find any reliable comparisons between them though, so I can't say for sure which I'd go for.

The 8GB vs 4GB memory is an obvious plus, although I would guess you could increase the RAM on the HP if you needed.

I've never been a fan of ATI cards (I'm a Linux user...) but the GDDR5 memory should perform a LOT better than the DDR3 memory on the nVidia card. I might forgo my no-ATI policy on this one. It's a Macbook anyways, so it's not like I'd be running Linux outside of a virtual machine.

The Macbook is obviously superior when it comes to hardware, but is it worth the extra $1000? That would be a "no" for me, but if you've got the extra cash, the Macbook would be the better choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thats what I'm leaning towards finances aren't an issue student loans and proper planning made sure of that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

View PostUtael, on 17 March 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

Thats what I'm leaning towards finances aren't an issue student loans and proper planning made sure of that.

I would say, if finances are a determining factor, the Macbook is a good option. As others have said, the OS is good, and easy to use. The design and parts are also, generally, much better than competitors.

I have had my mbp for about 3 years now and I've had no issues, knock on wood. Also, battery life tends to be a lot better in Apple products.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:24 PM

I agree with most of the other posts. If money is not an issue go with the MBP. I originally purchased a macbook before I started college 4 years ago, and I still have it. Running well too for its age and in great condition!

However, I would consider, the other laptop will probably suit your needs quite well too... so maybe even though money isn't a problem now due to student loans and what not, you could put $1000 away and save it for an emergency situation / pay back student loans / etc. Another thing with going the cheaper route, you could spend 1200 now on the HP and then in 2 or 3 years buy another new HP for 1200 that will probably have HW much better than the MBP and still have spent about the same amount overall and have two laptops to use (a backup system could be useful I suppose)...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I've got a decent desktop and a darn good laptop as is so I dont need just another pc. That's not to say I don't want one but is have a hard time justifying another one in 4 years unless the two I have plus the new one died completely.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

View PostUtael, on 17 March 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

I've got a decent desktop and a darn good laptop as is so I dont need just another pc. That's not to say I don't want one but is have a hard time justifying another one in 4 years unless the two I have plus the new one died completely.

If you have two machines that are working for you already, why get a new one? But if you must get a second third machine, and you're already running Windows and Linux, you might as well complete the set. And then you can look around for an old PDP and try to get TOPS-20 running, that'd be fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 19 March 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

View PostUtael, on 17 March 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

If you have two machines that are working for you already, why get a new one? But if you must get a second third machine, and you're already running Windows and Linux, you might as well complete the set. And then you can look around for an old PDP and try to get TOPS-20 running, that'd be fun.

That's what I asked the school, They told me since they are borrowing the software out, its has to go on machines that they purchased. Makes no sense to me the way they told me. I'm guessing it is some policy made by the higher ups that has not yet shown its wisdom to the people talking with the students. I have to buy one or the other.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Sounds to me like a scheme to force students to buy new laptops from them...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostAtli, on 19 March 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

Sounds to me like a scheme to force students to buy new laptops from them...

You know what you are? You're a cynical bastard, to think that any school would be that, um, cynical.

You know what else? I agree entirely.

Utael said:

finances aren't an issue student loans and proper planning made sure of that.

Could I just ask that you take a course or two on financial planning? If you think that borrowing money to buy a piece of gear you don't need or particularly want is "not an issue", it might be useful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't see it as an issue my finances can pay for a little extra girth, later in my life (after two years)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

Wait for the next line of MacBook Pro (coming this spring, I hear) and get one. Having the (legal) option of using virtually any OS is a huge advantage, I think.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Unfortunately, It has to be bought before this fall semester starts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +