2 Replies - 261 Views - Last Post: 19 March 2012 - 03:32 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

SDK when JRE already installed, or which

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:26 AM

Maybe I would try to learn Java programming on my own (if I can find a good clear textbook), but I then would use a personal computer, old laptop, at home. That computer already has JRE 7u3 installed. I've seen the Oracle site and am still confused about how to choose the correct file to download and install to have the proper software to use for making Java programs. Does SDK include JRE? Would I need to download a SDK, uninstall JRE (7u3), and then install SDK? Is SDK a separate file/set of files from JRE?

(System: Windows XP s.p. 3, 2.0GHz processor, 17 GB free space, 512 MB RAM)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SDK when JRE already installed, or which

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SDK when JRE already installed, or which

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:26 AM

You would only need the JDK. personally, I still use version 6, but version 7 should be good to use at this point. To answer your other question, yes, the JDK comes with its own JRE, but there should be no problems of you already have a JRE installed. Just install the JDK and set its environmental variables.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SDK when JRE already installed, or which

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

The SDK includes the JRE. That used to be clearly stated on the downloads page, but I haven't checked for a while. Getting the SDK without the JRE was not an option. I can't say for sure whether you should uninstall your current JRE before installing the SDK, but that seems like it would be the surest route to getting your environment set up without any confusion. Or it may be that the SDK install will just install the JRE files over your existing install. I'm not sure. Either way, once you've downloaded the SDK install file you will be able to reinstall as needed.

For a discussion of learning materials and books, check this link.

You will also wonder which editor or IDE to use, and here's a link that discusses that. Java books are sometimes written with a certain IDE in mind, so you might either try the editors or IDEs and then get a book that supports your preference, get a book you like and use the recommended editor/IDE, or choose a book that is editor/IDE agnostic.

We're here to help if you need more info about setting up your enviornment and getting started programming with Java or at any other point in your journey. Good luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1