3 Replies - 2019 Views - Last Post: 20 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science / Technology Community Service?

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:48 PM

Does it exist?

I am a junior in high school finishing up an AP Computer Science course. I am trying to figure out what I want to do this summer and am trying to think of ideas that involve community service. If it could involve either computer science or technology that would be amazing.

Has anyone heard of any community service programs that involve either or have any ideas?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science / Technology Community Service?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science / Technology Community Service?

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Look around at your local community. I am going to be there's an outreach group for the homeless, a women's home, or some charity group that wouldn't mind a technical person on hand. Thought they might also allocate you for other things and you should oblige. Computer repair.. maybe an update to a website, or something else along those lines. Scout your area and off you go!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Most non profit organizations either have IT people or are desperately in need of some. Any group that takes volunteers will consider your skill set and what you can do for them. You have to emphasize tech geek as opposed to simply high school kid. Rattle off the stuff you know, ask about their computers and what they really wish they had.

I once fixed up a web site for the local red cross and ended up also playing around with excel sheets, setting up printers, the usual. They wanted much more, but I had to work, too. There's also wicked politics in such groups... ignore them. Tech people can avoid politics in many cases; think of it as a job perk.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thanks a lot modi and baavgai. I'll try to look around with your advice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1