192 Replies - 4895 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

What the hell?

full story

Not only would I not give this information, nothing is listed under my real name. So as far as I'm concerned, I don't have a facebook or twitter account.

I don't understand who thinks they have the right to demand after hours login information... unless your job required you to use these tools, it really isn't any of their business, & doesn't change the way the company makes money.

Has anyone here been required to hand over sensitive information? If so, what did you do?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:09 PM

Not yet, but I've been seeing a lot of this lately - employers demanding passwords and schools demanding passwords from students. It's ridiculous! But I typically maintain 2 accounts on nearly every platform (DIC excluded)... for anyone who might demand my passwords, they will find nothing under my name on FB/Twitter/G+ that doesn't scream "model employee". :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

There's actually a post about this on Reddit asking what the users would do in a situation where they were asked for their Facebook login during a job interview. The general reply was something about how it's not only against Facebook's TOS, but it's also against the law to request such information.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 supersloth  Icon User is online

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

POPULAR

employers who have no respect for the personal lives of employees can eat a big ole bag of dicks. just because you employ me doesn't mean you get to eat what's in my fridge, change my thermostat, or watch my television. just because you employee me doesn't mean you get access to my personal, private information or that of my friends and family.

i hope anyone who gets asked this tells the company to shove that job up their ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 13
  • +
  • -

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Funny thing about laws... there are tons of acts that are 'against the law', yet they get practiced everyday. Funny how useless it becomes. & if you forced a company by 'law' to hire you because of illegal hiring practices, it would be one horrible work experience.

View Postsupersloth, on 20 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

i hope anyone who gets asked this tells the company to shove that job up their ass.

I believe that this came up once before... Montana passed it as a state law. It was short lived, but it still happened.

unrelated to hiring, but related to the topic of forced password sharing.

What the hell America. You dumb.

** Update **
It was a town in Montana, not the entire state. Glad I looked it up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

Another day where adults are acting like children and the courts have to be the parents.

The issue was first raised when Stephen found some information on the couple’s computer regarding her feelings toward their children and her ability to take care of them, according to Forbes. Stephen told his lawyer, Gary Traystman, who believed the online evidence would help his client during the discovery process of the divorce case, which will involve custody of the couple’s children.

During a deposition, Traystman asked Courtney for the passwords to her Facebook account as well as her online dating accounts on EHarmony and Match. Courtney initially refused, but on her own lawyer’s advice, she eventually handed over the passwords. She then reportedly texted a friend and asked him or her to change said passwords and delete some of her messages. Since the destruction of evidence is illegal, Traystman went to the judge and asked him to issue an injunction, so that she would not delete be able to delete any further material and so the attorneys could exchange passwords for both spouses.

Shluger said neither of the Gallions will be allowed to view the other’s accounts on the aforementioned websites. He ordered the handover and the next day said: “Neither party shall visit the website of the other’s social network and post messages purporting to be the other.”

https://www.zdnet.co...vorce-case/5262

I also mildly find it amusing when young'ns get DUIs, plea they are wholesome kids making one rash act, and then the next night celebrating their avoiding jail time by getting sloppy drunk and posting pictures on a public facebook profile. heh..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

This is stupid. I would never cough my password/username up to anybody.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

One more reason I'm glad I've never signed up on facebook.

As a question of civil liberties and labor law, all of the obvious objections are obvious. If you want a guaranteed job or settlement, put some information implying that you're a 55 year old disabled gay veteran of color in your private area and then let them look at it.
If they don't offer you a job, sue them on the grounds that they refused to hire you on the grounds that you are a protected minority, which information they obtained by duress, in violation of the law. A good lawyer should be able to get you well taken care of based on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:23 AM

I would never do it, not even for a... "Million Dollars" </drevil>

Seriously that is bullshit, I was even complaining about this earlier with the whole schools giving out passwords. NO ONE - and that means NO ONE should be forced to surrender their passwords. Maybe you can "REQUEST" I open up my facebook to the public or twitter and I might oblige - but I will not give you my password ever.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:42 AM

The only thing I came across that is similiar to this story is that when searching for a job, when filling a job application, they ask you at the end:

"Are you happy for us to look at your fb profile".

You can tick the box or not. However, even if you tick it and your profile is set to private they wont achieve anything.
I have never come across someone being asked to give their password and username.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

I can see forcing someone to give up their passwords for legal reasons, as in the case where the father was accusing the mom of posting negative comments toward the kids, but for a job I would never willingly surrender my passwords.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

My Facebook ramblings about my daughter's basketball games and the fantastic soup I made for dinner last night have absolutely zero impact on my ability to do a job and do it well.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postrgfirefly24, on 21 March 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

I can see forcing someone to give up their passwords for legal reasons, as in the case where the father was accusing the mom of posting negative comments toward the kids, but for a job I would never willingly surrender my passwords.

I can't see that. If the comments are publicly visible, there's no need for passwords - the comments are visible. If they're privately visible, the person making the accusation must have seen them. Either they can still see them, or they saved evidence of having seen them. (screen shot, presumably) If the comments have been deleted, then either they can be recovered from backups or not, but for that you have to go to facebook with a subpoena.

There's no case that I can see in which surrendering control of your account helps further the cause of justice.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

I don't have a Facebook. If I did I'd simply continue looking for a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Why not ask the Employer for their password as well, I mean since you are taking the relationship to the next level. Might as well make it "FB Official"
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »