• « First

398 Replies - 21518 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 04 September 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

I've been keeping myself operating on a calorie deficit. Friggin hungry ALL. THE. TIME. But the end result is worth it, right?

That's what we're built for - given that animals in the wild live on boom/bust cycles, you're always going to be "hungry". If there's not enough food around, you're hungry and you live on stored resources. If there's enough resources, you're going to eat well past satiation of immediate needs, because that piece of fruit or that piece of carcass isn't going to keep more than a few days, and you need to build up stored resources in anticipation of the coming famine.

The end result? We're evolved to always want to take in available food until there's actually no place to put it.

Since you're always going to be "hungry", unless you absolutely gorge yourself, you might as well train yourself to eat sensibly. After a while you get used to it, and self control becomes a conditioned reflex and not a conscious effort.

I suggest you take up smoking, it's supposed to help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

haha... funny. I gave up smoking over 2 years ago. Giving it up is part of what led to my current state of fatassism.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hypothesis confirmed.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

so i did that meet i was talking about a few weeks ago today. i set 2 provincial records (clean & jerk and total) and was awarded best lifter and got a sweet plaque hah. pretty good for my first meet i guess. here's a vid

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Good job totgeburt!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Sum over All Paths
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Attempting to maintain an early morning routine of simple push-ups, sit-ups, planks and dips for upper body, squats and calf-raises for lower. The girlfriend and I have begun to pick up yoga a few days a week, using the following website: http://www.doyogawithme.com/

Aside from that a primarily vegan diet. Exceptions are made occasionally, only when family decide to visit and either dine out or cook something not along our usual dietary line.

Should probably quit smoking one of these days, but that's for a later discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Started a good workout regimen - boxing 2-3 nights a week, basketball or soccer with the family instead of TV at least a few nights, stretching and calisthenics in the mornings (when I actually manage to sleep well enough to not be a hateful fuck when I first wake up).

We've been working on our diet too. We can be really good, but it's so damned easy to grab a burger when I run errands over lunch, so I've really started trying to plan meals (and meal back-up plans) more.

Jon - we started making kale chips. We really didn't know what to expect, but they're excellent, especially with some hummus (which means no more pita bread with it).
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

POPULAR

Just came back from the dreaded scale. Only dropped 5 pounds this week, but I have rediscovered my ankles and my calf muscles are like rocks.

I've been taking my measurements as I've gone along and while I've lost inches everywhere else, I've lost absolutely nothing from my hips or chest.

The chest I'm not worried about, I don't mind keeping it.

It's the hips.

If I keep up at this rate, I'll have tiny pencil legs and a giant, freakish, square ass. And in all honesty, it would be karma coming to get me for poking fun at someone else with square ass syndrome.

One day I'll learn to be nice.

Until then, anyone have a drink they're tired of holding? Here, feel free to put it on my ass table.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

This go around I dug myself out of a bad slump of the gym once every other week or so to a more effective routine, and somewhere a month or so ago I hit the 290 on the cable row.

Props to blackcompe for introducing me to TMW on post 312... not just for the hilarity, but in the first few weeks I was able to tweak how I was doing a few workouts (summabitch, sled presses are better pushing through the heel than balls of your feet/flat footed? DAMN!), tested out a few others for a routine modification (standing upright rows being one of them), and picked up the mantra of more sets versus trying to go to failure, burn out, and 'snapping my shit up'.

I think the more shocking part has been after a bit of refocusing I am actually stoked to go to the gym again. I haven't felt like that in over a year, and definitely not for a sustained amount of time. I am moving to do a continual three times a week with some more cardio focus....

Good times by all.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First