• Last »

398 Replies - 21226 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

#31 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Those are motivators! Juking drug dealers, out running pitbulls, and not being picked up for someone's stable!
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Which will serve to turn it into a more varied workout session: sprints, hurdling, climbing, and fighting. Even better...

EDIT: Modi beat me to it...

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 25 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

heh. nothing like posting unrelated comments in the middle of someone else's conversations. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#34 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I'm still riding twelve miles a day. I guess I could get more exercise, but I'd have to move further from work.

In case you're wondering, this means I'm burning about 422 calories per day on my commute, according to da internets. For reference, that's about equivalent to about four tablespoons of Nutella.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Jon - have you thought about adding a few laps around the block before you get to work? That would increase that distance without incurring moving expenses! That or get a parachute or tire to drag behind you for resistance!

edit:

better idea - haul a passenger or a hobo!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by modi123_1: 25 April 2012 - 11:51 AM
Reason for edit:: thoughts - where do they come from?

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#36 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 April 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Jon - have you thought about adding a few laps around the block before you get to work? That would increase that distance without incurring moving expenses! That or get a parachute or tire to drag behind you for resistance!

Thought about it, but that would cut into my morning coffee and newspaper, and then I'd be ignorant and grumpy.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't make too much difference. I'll give it a shot!

EDIT: I could get a sidecar and pick up hitchhikers!

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 April 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I've started buying bags and bags of stuff from this company from the produce section, taking it home or to work, and eating it like normal people eat potato chips.

My wife does this, too. She realized that she was eating chips for the crunch and the salt, so she substituted with snap peas and edamame with sea salt. She goes through them pretty quickly, but they seem to do the trick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

I will be playing hockey
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#39 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 April 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

I've started buying bags and bags of stuff from this company from the produce section, taking it home or to work, and eating it like normal people eat potato chips. I just finished off a bag of green beans, in fact. They were delicious.

Have you tried making kale chips? Cut up some kale, toss it in the oven for a little while, with a bit of salt and maybe spray some olive oil on if you have a spray bottle loaded with olive oil handy. They're best when you have them fresh, but if the kids like them, it's a great way to get green vegetables into them and make them think they're getting a snack. Cheap, too - kale goes for about a buck a pound around here, and a pound is a hell of a lot of kale chips.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#40 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Specifically: http://allrecipes.co...ked-kale-chips/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• This space intentionally left blank
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 April 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

I know, I could save money by buying the bulk shit, washing it, cutting it, and bagging it myself... but let's face it, I'm far more likely to eat it if I only have to open a bag and munch away.

Precisely B9, I had a woman tell me that once with a bag of the little pre-washed carrots, at which point I told her, yea, and that convenient bag of potato chips you're eating would be a lot cheaper if you sliced and deep-fried and salted a bag of potatoes.

View Postmodi123_1, on 25 April 2012 - 02:42 PM, said:

Those are motivators! Juking drug dealers, out running pitbulls, and not being picked up for someone's stable!

modi, you have a great outlook on life. Always finding the positives in any situation. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 25 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Have you tried making kale chips? Cut up some kale, toss it in the oven for a little while, with a bit of salt and maybe spray some olive oil on if you have a spray bottle loaded with olive oil handy. They're best when you have them fresh, but if the kids like them, it's a great way to get green vegetables into them and make them think they're getting a snack. Cheap, too - kale goes for about a buck a pound around here, and a pound is a hell of a lot of kale chips.

I've never had kale. I will have to try this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Kale is definitely a lot more expensive than that where I live. But not much grows where I live...

I juice daily for breakfast and snacks, and I generally use some kale in all of my juices, even in mostly-fruit ones, just to add some green. It's a great source of nutrients, and worth it regardless. I'll have to try that kale chip recipe.

This post has been edited by h4nnib4l: 25 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

If anyone is interested in the benefits of kale..

http://www.webmd.com...ruth-about-kale

One cup of kale contains 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber, and 15% of the daily requirement of calcium and vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), 40% of magnesium, 180% of vitamin A, 200% of vitamin C, and 1,020% of vitamin K. It is also a good source of minerals copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.

Kale’s health benefits are primarily linked to the high concentration and excellent source of antioxidant vitamins A, C, and K -- and sulphur-containing phytonutrients

Carotenoids and flavonoids are the specific types of antioxidants associated with many of the anti-cancer health benefits. Kale is also rich in the eye-health promoting lutein and zeaxanthin compounds.

Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#45 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 April 2012 - 02:31 PM, said:

I've never had kale. I will have to try this.

Oh, don't get me started... between kale and collards and chard, I gotta have my greens or it's not dinner.

Kale's pretty easy to cook on its own, too. The simplest way would be to stem it (some people use a knife, I just tear it off the stems by hand, it's easier) and rough-chop it, wash it off (most of your leafy greens can be gritty if you don't wash them) and toss it in a moderately hot pan with some olive oil and maybe some garlic. I leave it pretty wet, and cover the pan when I put it in. That way it steams a little, which I like, but you have to be careful, in case the oil is hot enough to spatter. Good to toss in a little first, which will cool down the oil if it's too hot.
For seasoning, salt and pepper is good enough for me, though a half a lemon squeezed over it in the last few minutes of cooking is also delicious.

You can do other stuff with it too, but this makes a good and easy side dish. The main thing to keep in mind is that uncooked or undercooked kale is pretty tough, and not appetizing. You gotta give it some time.

Similar treatment works for collard greens, too, but for them I like to roll up the greens after I've got them off the stems and cut them into long thin strips (like in this recipe). This is just how I learned to cook them, but I think it makes sense because the collard is a flatter leaf, so this helps it cook better (otherwise they'd lie flat on the pan and you'd have to stir them constantly to keep the bottom ones from burning).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »