• « First
  • Last »

398 Replies - 22756 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Spring - Summer 2012 Fitness

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm still riding twelve miles a day. I guess I could get more exercise, but I'd have to move further from work.

I'd bike to work if it's not too far away, but then I'd have to shower at work. If I was one of the first in the building it wouldn't be too awkward. I'm not too fond of riding on the open road either.

In case you're wondering, this means I'm burning about 422 calories per day on my commute, according to da internets. For reference, that's about equivalent to about four tablespoons of Nutella.

Sound worthless when you put it like that. Still ~500 calories/daily is pretty dam significant if your caloric intake is steady and within reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#47 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm not too fond of riding on the open road either.

Boston traffic is manageable as long as you ride assertively and keep aware. I have eyes in the back of my head, I call them "ears". It's really startling how many people I see riding around with headphones on - in Boston, at least, that seems like suicidal behavior.

I'd bike to work if it's not too far away, but then I'd have to shower at work.

Fortunately, there's a shower and locker room in my office, so I can get in, stretch, and change into work-appropriate clothes. If I didn't have the, I guess I'd have to get a gym membership or something, there's a couple of gyms near my office.

Sound worthless when you put it like that. Still ~500 calories/daily is pretty dam significant if your caloric intake is steady and within reason.

Looking at it another way, the standard diet for an average-sized person is about 2000 calories. If you get 20% of that in a few tablespoons of Nutella, I think that says more about that product than it does about the riding. It's actually not too bad as a means of exercise, especially, as you say, if you eat moderately.

To be serious for a moment, though, I do think that talking in terms of balancing caloric intake with energy expended as if your body were a savings account is far too simplistic, but that's probably another discussion. For now: I'm riding to work, and I like it, even though I sometimes have to yell at the mooyuks.

This post has been edited by jon.kiparsky: 25 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:41 PM

Boston traffic is manageable as long as you ride assertively and keep aware. I have eyes in the back of my head, I call them "ears". It's really startling how many people I see riding around with headphones on - in Boston, at least, that seems like suicidal behavior.

Ah yes, biking is common in the city. I'm in the burbs. Biking with headphones? Ridiculous.

Fortunately, there's a shower and locker room in my office, so I can get in, stretch, and change into work-appropriate clothes.

I've heard of companies having gyms, basketball courts, etc. I think it's a great investment and a good way to keep employees active. It can give you something to look forward to, which becomes important when you'll be working at that company for the next 30 years. It's kind of like after school sports. I think it's safe to say we all see things more clearly after exercising. That certainly wouldn't hurt in a development job.

To be serious for a moment, though, I do think that talking in terms of balancing caloric intake with energy expended as if your body were a savings account is far too simplistic, but that's probably another discussion.

Don't we all wish it were cut and dry science? Ha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 25 April 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

I have discovered the joys of pre-washed, bagged veggies... like this:
Posted Image

Broccoli and Rainbow Slaw is where it's at! I can eat a bag in a single sitting.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#50 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Sandbags: Unconventional Tools for Functional Strength

I've had this discussion with a few friends off and on over the last five months.. is it better to do more functional strength routines or area specific motions. Very much a RockyIV setup. Unwieldy and odd shaped weighted bags tend to take you out of a comfort zone.

Another example of a 'functional workout' would be the sledgehammer one I've come across before.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

Looks great as a stabilization and core strength workout, but I wouldn't consider that as a complete replacement for compound leg exercises (squats, dlifts, lunges). Eventually you'll get to 150+ lbs and carrying that on one shoulder seems a bit uncomfortable/dangerous to me. I'd use it to warm-up or to close my sets. That's just me though. I come from a power and explosive lifting background.

Another example of a 'functional workout' would be the sledgehammer one I've come across before.

I like this. Again, works the core, especially the upper abs, and the arms. Tree-choppers are diesel!

modi123_1: If you like these sorts of workouts, you should check out Underground Wellness. This dude is a beast with the knowledge.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 27 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#52 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'll keep an eye out on that site! Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I've just moved to within a mile of a national park.. My summer plans consist of picking up a cheap 2-man tent and hitting the hills.

But I'm disgracefully out of shape.. Considering a challenge for May, something like a 1,000 mile run, 10,000 press-ups.. (running total of course).. Anybody else try something like this?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#55 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Outside? You mean where the bears are? No thanks.

But I'm sure you could get @gabehabe to join you if you said "2-man tent"....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Outside? You mean where the bears are? No thanks.

But I'm sure you could get @gabehabe to join you if you said "2-man tent"....

that's worrying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

We're still thinking about doing the 'run for your lives' in Maryland, as well as I run a leg in the Akron Marathon. My wife started a no processed foods diet. It's great, I get to eat rice & vegetables, & guacamole like 3 times per week. I've already dropped six pounds going on the 2nd week. Now I just have to make sure I get enough sleep & fill in some time at the gym to finish it off.

View PostNeoTifa, on 21 March 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

Help keep me motivated bros.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#58 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

My buddy in Denver asked if I wanted to hit that event up.. I had to politely decline... maybe next year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yeah? Well your buddy in Denver is just mad because he asked for a TiVo & got a Tebo.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

For my fitness, I have done a gastric bypass in February of 2011. To this date, I have lost 45 kg. From 140 kg to 95 kg. Just saying :whistling:
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (27 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »