6 Replies - 3823 Views - Last Post: 07 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Rate my website

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I'm a uni student and i wanted to get a website to showcase my programming portfolio.

I'd like you to rate my domain name, as well as my website. Be aware that my websites html code is ripped from a website that offers free templates, so just rate it on how well you think it suites a programmers portfolio. Also, depending on when you are looking at this, there may be nothing i'v added and just the template.

sagames.ca

Note: it is 'sa' games because 'sa' is the letters of my first and last name. And .ca because im in canada.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Rate my website

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Rate my website

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Moving to 'site check'.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

rate my domain name,

Poor. Nothing comes to mind when I see sagames.ca... is that supposed to be SAG AMES.CA? SAGA MESCA?

as well as my website. Be aware that my websites html code is ripped from a website that offers free templates, so just rate it on how well you think it suites a programmers portfolio.

That depends on how you arrange the content. Anyone can take a good free template and pile drive it into the ground.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

so just rate it on how well you think it suites a programmers portfolio

Flash junk to be honest :/ the transitions are just bad and waste time. Flash should not be used for websites.

To be honest you're probably better off just getting some kind of simple CMS set up and use a plain theme - http://speckyboy.com...or-development/

How can you link people to individual pages if it's just one flash application?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

I'd have to agree with revolutionx. Flash has it's uses, but when your site depends on Flash for people to be able to see it -- or worse: is just one big Flash movie -- then you've gone way to far.

Never forget that even though Flash is extremely widespread, it's still an optional 3'rd party plugin. You can't (or at lest: shouldn't) count on it being present.

How can you link people to individual pages if it's just one flash application?

You should be able to make Flash read the browser URL, or at least interface with Javascript in such a way that Javascript can feed URL hash changes to it, so that it can be used to create links in much the same way pure Javascript apps do.

That is, by linking to pages like: example.com/#path/to/page, and using the #path/to/page part (the hash) to open the appropriate part of the app. - The hash part is not used by the server, so it won't affect anything but the client-side.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well there isn't much I can say content wise, as there isn't much content to read!

The design is pretty bad. It just feels bland. I suggest fitting all the content in a 960px wide box (or around that amount), so you don't have to look at the edges of the screen. Also, 90% of your links went off-site or to an out of place 404 page that it doesn't look like you customized.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

well for starters your main page is kind of bland and your maple leaf is kind of stretched (unless you wanted it that way.you should add more to the main page such as progress on your recent projects or something like that.also you have a number of link errors the ones i have found are (main page)"about","blog", and "contact" all go to an error 404 page. "read more..." goes to the free css website.i suggest you look into either fixing the links of removing them but all the downloads seem to work. however at least on my computer the contact links only open a blank page
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1