Do you reckon I'd be hirable?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

40 Replies - 5492 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Do you reckon I'd be hirable?

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm turning 18 in 5 months, and I've already planned on my first tattoo as a thought for my currently 10 month old son. I had the idea of getting a swallow on my neck, but I don't want it to effect my chances of getting a job in IT (Software Engineering).

Does anyone have any tips on where I could get it tattooed?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you reckon I'd be hirable?

#2 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you reckon I'd be hirable?

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

http://www.dreaminco...-the-workplace/
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

POPULAR

Here's a thought: You have a ten month old son, so you should take the money you'd spend on a tattoo and stick it in a college fund for the kid. Then, every time you save enough for a tattoo you should stick that in the college fund. Same with piercings, kegs, and any other young guy fantasies. You're a father now.
Was This Post Helpful? 26
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

Myself and my girlfriend already have a fund started for our son, he will be set. This is for me. He will have money no matter what.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:33 AM

He won't have money if you don't get hired.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. If you're really set on getting this tattoo, get it after you are hired.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#6 CTphpnwb  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostILoveJava, on 25 March 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Myself and my girlfriend already have a fund started for our son, he will be set. This is for me. He will have money no matter what.

You're 18 and looking for a job, so forgive me if I find this hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe that you know how much you'll need to save. The cost of education is likely to rise at a higher rate than the interest your money will earn, so while starting early is good it isn't enough. For the next 18 years you will always need more money to put in that fund. Getting a tattoo is like burning cash, and unless your family is helping out in a big way you don't have enough to do that.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#7 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

My general response to tattoos in the work place is to keep them where they are covered by 'business casual' attire.

If it is covered by docker shorts and a polo shirt then who knows or complains? If you are in less than that for a pool party, it really isn't a business concern.

You said its for yourself anyway, so you don't really need to advertise it right?

On a totally personal note:

a swallow on my neck,
sounds like advertising for a gay street walker.

I've seen some guys that have their kids' names and DOBs listed on their shoulder blade. That to me seems like it is about the kid.

A swallow on the neck, or a dolphin at the base of your spine might be meaningful to you (which is all that really matters) but to the rest of us just looks swishy.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#8 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostCTphpnwb, on 25 March 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostILoveJava, on 25 March 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

You're 18 and looking for a job, so forgive me if I find this hard to believe.

I also find it hard to believe that you know how much you'll need to save. The cost of education is likely to rise at a higher rate than the interest your money will earn, so while starting early is good it isn't enough. For the next 18 years you will always need more money to put in that fund. Getting a tattoo is like burning cash, and unless your family is helping out in a big way you don't have enough to do that.

I have to agree. But there are always exceptions and we don't know the OP's personal situation. Maybe he is one of those millionaires at 18. Maybe he comes from a family of old money.

I can't help but to think of that video where a doctor was talking about how many 20-somethings come into his office with no medical coverage and a body covered in ink. Today its all about spend for the fun stuff first, and then the necessities if there is anything left over. I'm not saying that is true for the OP. Just that it is the current stereotype for a reason.

The advice I gave my kids went something like this:

You're 20. You want to retire at 60, or less. With today's medical technology you'll live to be 100. That means you have the next 40 years to save enough retirement money to live on for your last 40 years. Even if there was zero inflation you would have to save 50% of every paycheck for the rest of your life, in order to live at the comfort level you have right now: Student housing and a POS car. That's before taking into consideration marriage, children, medical expenses and big-ticket items like a house. Every year you put off a retirement account is another year you'll be eating cat-food in a senior center when you are 80. So you better be considering how you are going to do more than just 'save'. You better be working out how you are going to 'invest' or how you are going to have multiple income sources.

Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#9 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

What you told your son is why I believe in old age euthanasia/assisted suicide. I should have the right to kill myself if I'm just eating catfood in an old folks home... note, I said MY choice.

This post has been edited by lordofduct: 25 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#10 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

I totally agree with ya. If some catastrophe happens and I'm in that position: I have a 9mm and can walk into a shower with it. I figure that's the most polite thing to do for those behind me: It makes the clean up limited in space and easy to hose down. Of course an excess of pain pills and just going to sleep has its appeal too.

I'm pretty certain that's what my dad did. Bed-ridden in a hospice in extreme pain and just counting the days became too much and he made a choice. I can respect that: Dignity and quality of life over quantity of existence.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

Right now I am actually working full time, I must have forgot to say that. I have my own income of $800 a fortnight, and my girlfriend has an incomeof $1000 a fortnight, he gets $50 from both of us a fortnight, no matter what the circumstances. He alrready has a bank account with $1100 in it. And after paying rent, I put away $100~. Even with a kid you need to do your own thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

Let me put it this way: if I were hiring (which I'm not), your tattoos would be the absolute last thing I'd care about. You can have a penis tattooed on your nose for all I care. But man, why do you want a tattoo? I'll never understand the *point* of it. I mean, sure, do your own thing, but why is this your thing? I can see the point of tattooing a child's name somewhere that isn't constantly visible, but... sigh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 tlhIn`toq  Icon User is online

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

For those not familiar: A fortnight is every other week.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#14 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

POPULAR

and a dayfort is a pile of couch cushions from which you defend Denland from the invaders out of the Washroom Woods.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

some places and people frown on tattoos so by getting one you're limiting yourself to ones that don't care about it, so yes it *does* hurt your chances of getting a job. I doubt many firms actually care about it but some might and if you apply for a job there your chances are diminished of getting the job. (the counter argument is that a fellow tattoo lover might like you becuase of it)

you're making slightly better than minimum wage. feeling financially secure about anything sounds like a horrible idea to me. if I were in your situation I'd be flipping a shit over making more money. that too me means saving that money for emergencies. My advice is to be a stingy fuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +