4 Replies - 2420 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2012 - 05:15 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Auto-Update on Form Load

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm creating part of a program which calculates vacation hours multiplied by accrual rate. As of right now all parts of the form are functioning and saving/retrieving data from a csv text file. My problem is that I'd like to bring the process out of a button.click event and into Form_Load. Currently when I click a listview item (lvwData.SelectedItems) it populates a textbox (txtAvail), then recalculates the textbox value based off my formula (hours) and updates the listview's 4th column item. To update each column daily, I currently have to click each row, then my button, then move onto the next item. I'm looking for a way to grab the 4th column, recalculate it and update the listview without having to select each row. Any suggestions, code sample, or a URL pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. Thanks

Dim columns = Text.Split(","c)
        For Each line As String In columns
            Call hours()
            Dim its As ListView.SelectedListViewItemCollection = lvwData.SelectedItems
            its(0).SubItems(4).Text = txtAvail.Text
        Next

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Auto-Update on Form Load

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Re: Auto-Update on Form Load

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

than instead selected items collection loop through items collection.
      For i as Integer = 0 to ListView.Items.Count - 1
          ListView.Items(i).SubItems(4).Text = txtAvail.Text
      Next

I don't know is this right code for you,if i understand you are doing some calculations depending on selected items. Pleas post your code 'hours()' that we can see what is really happening.

This post has been edited by sela007: 27 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for your help on this. The issue I'm having is being able to calculate by looking into the 4th subitem of each row of either the text file or listview without referencing the txtAvail textbox. Right now the listview populates everything in the csv file on form load, but I'd like it to recalculate the 4th subitem from each row as well, then refresh that to the listview automatically. Your code works wonderfully, but still requires that something be shown in the txtAvail box. I've added the project, a sample text file (HRVC.hrf), and a screenshot. I have a button programmed to add the data to the listview, which calculates everything correctly. But is still a manual click the listview row/click the add button process. I've set Option Strict On, and I'm a glutton for If/Then statements.
If you or anyone has an idea how to change txtAvail to my hours call, that'd be great.

For i as Integer = 0 to ListView.Items.Count - 1
	          ListView.Items(i).SubItems(4).Text = 'Call hours()
	      Next

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  HRVC.zip (301.55K)
    Number of downloads: 65

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Let me try to ask the question in an easier way. Using a listview and putting code into the Form Load, how would I correct the code below? The code is currently creating an error "Expression is a value and therefore cannot be a target of an assignment."
  Dim TempNode As ListViewItem
        For Each TempNode In lvwData.Items
            TempNode.SubItems.Item(4).ToString = Date.Now
        Next

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:15 AM

Function "ToString" is used when you want to convert some variable,or type to string. In case you have one integer variable and one string variable, and you want to assign integer to string, then you will use 'ToString'
Dim int As Integer = 3
Dim str as String 

str = int.ToString()

in your code change line number 3
TempNode.SubItems.Item(4).Text = Date.Now

You can see this will work even 'TempNode.SubItems.Item(4).Text' is STRING and 'Date.Now' is DATE. it's because VB is doing conversions automatically.

If you convert to string it will be the same:
TempNode.SubItems.Item(4).Text = Date.Now.ToString()

This post has been edited by sela007: 28 March 2012 - 05:19 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1