2 Replies - 1715 Views - Last Post: 28 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Cryptographic Algorithms

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

What would you think is the best cryptographic algorithm that can also encode the password and check against it while everything is still in the ciphertext?

I'm looking to make a small standalone program that encrypts a file, inserts a small decryption program at the beginning of the file, and info about the file itself (size, key, etc), within the file, too, encrypted. So far I've succeeded.. However, the method I have no is to 'hide' a randomly generated secondary key around the file that is used by the decryption program to check against the internal key, so the program can tell the user the key is incorrect. Also, I've implemented a 'so many tries per minute' system, but, still not sure how safe it is... Just, figured this may spark some interesting conversation that I could learn from.

So, any ideas or suggestions?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cryptographic Algorithms

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cryptographic Algorithms

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

why not just have a constant at the beginning of the file and you only decrypt that to check if the key they provided is correct.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cryptographic Algorithms

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

View Postishkabible, on 28 March 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

why not just have a constant at the beginning of the file and you only decrypt that to check if the key they provided is correct.

You have a point... I think I will do something like that with a hash of the original key. Though, perhaps I should put a layer of protection on it, too, to somehow avoid brute force attacks, but I suppose that could be circumvented easily with a limit per minute sort of thing. Good idea, thank you.

This post has been edited by novacrazy: 28 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1