xna flight simulator

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 3239 Views - Last Post: 27 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

xna flight simulator

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

hello every one.... i write a new xna flight simulator and i have some questions:
Is XNA vector3 suitable for the purposes of the physical? (forces,velocity, acceleration, and position)
How i determine vector direction? for example in flight sim the lift force is perpendicular on flight path and drag force is parallel...and so on
What about the coordinate systems that must be established for flight sim
My goal is to write a physical simulator for airplane and i do not want the use of common xna physics engines
I know the physics of the airplane very well and I want a help to model the physics in xna
Thank.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: xna flight simulator

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: xna flight simulator

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postabdcom, on 27 March 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

hello every one.... i write a new xna flight simulator and i have some questions:
Is XNA vector3 suitable for the purposes of the physical? (forces,velocity, acceleration, and position)

Yes.

How i determine vector direction? for example in flight sim the lift force is perpendicular on flight path and drag force is parallel...and so on

You need to learn about the Dot/Scalar Product.

What about the coordinate systems that must be established for flight sim
My goal is to write a physical simulator for airplane and i do not want the use of common xna physics engines
I know the physics of the airplane very well and I want a help to model the physics in xna
Thank.

From your level of knowledge, both in coding games and physics, I strongly suggest you use what XNA has to offer if you want to go there.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks ....Is it possible to give me the structure of what should be established for the purpose of simulation of the physical plane?
I tried but I failed. I think that the problem in the vectors of xna
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

I suggest you take a look at the tutorials on Riemer Grootjans website. He has lots of XNA tutorials that are perfect for people who want to learn, including a rudimentary flight sim.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

But these lessons do not learn how to build a physical model or I wrong??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

When you say "physical model" do you mean a 3D model to represent your plane in the game? If so then you're going to have to learn a 3D modelling program such as 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I want to simulate the airplane that act on it four aerodynamic forces and move accordingly. In other words i want to use Newton's second law of motion (and calculate the linear and angular velocity for the airplane). This is my aim of "physical model"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

best suggestion.... Just start with a model viewer that you can rotate. Before jumping right in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

View Postabdcom, on 29 March 2012 - 04:25 PM, said:

I want to simulate the airplane that act on it four aerodynamic forces and move accordingly. In other words i want to use Newton's second law of motion (and calculate the linear and angular velocity for the airplane). This is my aim of "physical model"

I program physics, but I don't think you have basic knowledge. Please answer these questions:

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?
2. Why is acceleration a second order differential equation?
3. What is unique about Newton's Second Law of motion?
4. What is an integrator?

If you successfully answer these, then we move forward.

This post has been edited by ButchDean: 29 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

ok....1. velocity is rate of change of displacement over time and acceleration ia rate of change of velocity over time.
2. becuse acceleration is derivative of velocity and velocity is derivative of displacement.
3. Newton’s second law says that an acceleration of an object is due to a net external force
applied to the object. (F=m*a)
4. Integration is the opposite of differentiation that is, if i integrate displacement i get on velocity and if i integrate velocity i get on acceleration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

I will resist the urge to split hairs on those answers, but here goes. If you are aware of Newtonian Dynamics what is it about XNA's Vector3 type would be unsuitable for representing, say, velocity?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostButchDean, on 30 March 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I will resist the urge to split hairs on those answers, but here goes. If you are aware of Newtonian Dynamics what is it about XNA's Vector3 type would be unsuitable for representing, say, velocity?

Thank you for your patience ... I do not speak English so I find some difficulty in writing and expressions.
For your question, I thought that all xna vectors starting from the (0,0,0) but the force is not the case. It starts from the position of the object.
So I want to create a new vector's class that consists of a start point and end point and the angles formed with axes, but I want to make sure the issue of xna vectors before I begin. I am having a another problem with the vectors and determine the direction of it. I wanted to know how to draw floor of the airport and make it infinite (but these issues had another question)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Nothing will be infinite in your game because memory is finite. I believe that you need to review some tutorials in XNA to see how to draw terrain and how to navigate it. There are many out there, making it pointless for me to walk you through it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

Procedural terrain generation with quadtree LOD would be a good start. This will allow you to create seemingly infinite terrain on the fly and the LOD system will keep the terrain that is too far away from being so detailed that it slows down the overall performance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Ok ButchDean, i know that my memory is finite but when i say "infinite" i mean a way in which i redraw terrain when it finished. Kilorn i will review tutorials about how i draw terrain, but, and forgive me for my insistence , what about xna vectors it is start from (0, 0, and 0) and what about force that start from position of object.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +