How to go about making this game?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 1337 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2012 - 04:54 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to go about making this game?

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:23 PM

I am a cs student in hs right now and we are covering Gui. A kid coded this interactive game and that pretty much got me wondering on how to go about coding this primitive pokemon game. Here is the link to the gameplay http://www.youtube.c...?v=ffT2Bbb4Fug. Its basically the really simple ones from the 90's without color. However, I do know that it is impossible to make perfect full game without an entire team. But how do you go about making a simple version of this. What languages would be best to use. Right now, I am learning java in cs, but I heard C is best for game development. Also is it infact possible to make a simple version of this game after gaining lots of experience?

Sorry if im being impractical, im just really curious. :D

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to go about making this game?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: How to go about making this game?

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well, it isn't impossible to make a full game without a team. I've done it.

Regarding your question, there is no specific answer. Have a read of this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

so how would you go about making a game like this??

also you said you made a game without an entire group of proffesionals. So do you think you would have been able to make a game like the one above??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

There are loads of different languages and libraries you could use to make a game like this. You say you are learning Java, it's perfectly possible to create a game like this in Java. Just try to find a good library or framework that will help you. In fact, I think there are built in functions in the Java framework to make 2D games (I could be wrong).

Do some research and then come back with a more specific question regarding your choices because at the minute we really can't help you that much.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Doing it in Java would work fine. And no you don't need a huge/decent size team to make a game. Example I'm currently working on a 3d game engine with my friend. Just 2 of us. In reality more people means less time (Usually haha).

As for language. It is said C++ is the best for creating games in. But for the game your thinking of, java would be fine for. Look at minecraft, it uses Java and its doing alot more than a 2d scroller will ever use. Best start if your using java take a look at some of the basic graphics librarys which you would build your game upon.

JOGL: Jogl Link
LWJGL: http://lwjgl.org/

Both are bindings for OpenGL. Which using java and opengl binding will make it also multi platform.

And in the great words of Professor Farnsworth: Nothing is impossible with science!

By that I mean realisticly you can make a more in depth version of it if you wanted to. Learn your grounds first and find out which lib your using and know it well.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. So it seems that It is possible to make this game in Java but Im completly lost as to where to start in trying to develop this game. I have a fairly solid grasp of java but I am first year cs student.

Also this game was made around 1995-96 and was coded in C/C++ for the gameboy. I also found this website http://www.loirak.co...meboy/index.php which says that a compiler called the devkit compiler is used.

So should I also learn C/C++ which I also know a little bit about or continue on and make this game in Java? Thanks guys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

As it's been said - like with cats there are many ways to skin a video game design. (ewwwwww). If you feel you want to do it in C++ then sure, but figure you will be a slightly worse spot than you currently are with java.. I mean right now you are mewing like a lost little slowpoke... but think about throwing yourself into a new language?! Eeek!

If you don't know where to start perhaps a book? I am certain Amazon has something under the search parameters of "game programming java"... find one that has a chapter selection you agree with and some favorable reviews, purchase, read, and then succeed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ok lets start from the begginging.... Are you trying to recreate it? or Add onto it? If yours recreating it, your looking to much into it. As for length of time you have been programming. Is this the first year of programming? Or just in java?

If your recreating it (Or something similar to it) If you know java, why not stick with it? It will be supported (hehe sun ad here) on over 3 billion devices!.... ok not really, but its more compatible on alternate platforms (Android iOS, Windows, Mac etc).

Like I mentioned earlier check out lwjgl (Which is what I use in java) Its fairly easy to grasp the concept of. Once you get the concept off a few tutorials (Mainly your typical hello cube/box tutorials) which teaches you how to draw objects(triangles/sprites etc) onto the screen you will start to see how things work together and you should have a better understanding of your own question: How do I create a game like this?

Check it out, honestly! and if it's java your programming in, check out netbeans for an IDE, just a suggestion from my preferences.

This post has been edited by blindstone: 28 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:57 PM

haha yeah! Its just that there was so much info that it became overwhelming. And this is my second year in programming but im an hs student.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Okay, you need to break out of the "I'm only a student" mentality. Why? Because it makes part of you believe that it is other's responsibility to help you out all the time when in fact it is your own. If you want to program games you have to be bold and approach difficult problems head-on.

Enough of the "I'm only a student" already! ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

View Posteagles94, on 28 March 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

haha yeah! Its just that there was so much info that it became overwhelming.

Welcome to game programming lol. Gonna have to find a method of learning that suites you, no easy way, no shortcuts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postblindstone, on 29 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

View Posteagles94, on 28 March 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

haha yeah! Its just that there was so much info that it became overwhelming.

Welcome to game programming lol. Gonna have to find a method of learning that suites you, no easy way, no shortcuts.

How long do you think it would take guys to program the game I posted above? Since the game is old along with the new technology and the fact that your all seasoned programmers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

Really would depend on how hard you work at it, but probably about 6 months. Unless you are working at it full time maybe less.
Also depends on how good the programmer is and what direction they take the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

Ok, I don't usually do this but I'm going one step further for you to get started.

First off, its nice and a bit easier to manage code and projects using an IDE. I suggest using Netbeans for java. (It's what I use personally)

Second, download the LWJGL Library Here:

To set up the library with netbeans follow these instructions: LWJGL with Netbeans

To get started learning how LWJGL gives you usage of OpenGL and Your Display follow the series of tutorials found here: LWJGL Wiki / Tutorials

If it's going to be a 2d Game why not use a nice easy to use Lib called Slick2d (You can read up on it here also has download link, set up same idea as adding the lwjgl Library: Slick 2D

Slick 2d is an easy way for loading textures into openGL and binding them to your mesh/triangles/discombobulated_Model_guy_thing

If you are as comfortable as you say you are with java, this should be fairly easy to grasp the concept of. But chances are hs doesnt teach you the in-depth stuff ;)

And as a note: Don't go into these tutorials thinking your going to be a super star. It takes time and practice with this stuff. Take your time and understand the concept
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips. I have IDE but I have used Netbeans and Eclipse before. Netbeans is probably the best for this project. Alot of the HS classes use JGrasp as IDE.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +