4 Replies - 1974 Views - Last Post: 29 March 2012 - 12:35 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Visual Studio 2008 Resource Files help

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hello everyone,
I am new to Windows API and I need to know how to create resource files for menus and other controls. I have tried reading the msdn tutorial on menus and resource files I could not make head or tail of it. I am studying from Windows 2000 Programming from Ground Up by Herbert Schildt. The code given there is for Visual Studio 6, I am using Visual Studio 2008. How do you create menus, Dialog Boxes, Icons, and other controls. Please I need urgent help in this because I can't progress further without knowing anything about resource files. It would be helpful if the steps were outlined in replies because i can't understand what msdn is trying to say.
Thank You.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Visual Studio 2008 Resource Files help

• member icon

• View blog

Re: Visual Studio 2008 Resource Files help

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

What is the exact IDE you are using? Are you using the Express version or the Professional version? Have you searched the tutorials on this site? Your book seems to quite old and out of date, you may want to consider finding a newer book on the subject.

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 28 March 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

What is the exact IDE you are using? Are you using the Express version or the Professional version? Have you searched the tutorials on this site? Your book seems to quite old and out of date, you may want to consider finding a newer book on the subject.

Jim

I am using the Professional Edition. And exactly which tutorials are you talking about ? Is there any book that you recommend that I should use, maybe then I could get the e-book version, remember it has to be Win32 API and not MFC. Any help would be appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

There are several tutorials available you may want to go to the tutorial section and do a search. Here is one such link (from related C++ topics below) Getting started Windows 32 API

Jim
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:35 AM

View Postjimblumberg, on 28 March 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

There are several tutorials available you may want to go to the tutorial section and do a search. Here is one such link (from related C++ topics below) Getting started Windows 32 API

Jim

I have seen the tutorials they are mainly on C++. But I need a tutorial on creating radio buttons,menus and group-boxes in VC++ 2008 for the Win32 API ie in C and not C++. Just knowing how to use the resource files will be sufficient for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1