8 Replies - 470 Views - Last Post: 06 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Building an Online Store

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm trying to build an online store for the first time. Does anyone know of any companies that provide a platform that is easy to use and understand? I don't want it to lack in advanced options like having good SEO, marketing tools, and an integrated inventory management. I want a platform that can accommodate for selling physical media and downloadable mp3s.

I also want to make sure the site I create makes sense to the customer; that makes buying something easy and understandable.

I've done some research already and came across a few that had relatively good reviews:
-Volusion
-Magento
-Lead Commerce
-Shopify

Has anyone had personal experience with any of these platforms? Or any others for that matter?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Building an Online Store

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Building an Online Store

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have used webasyst in the past and on my latest project I decided to go with opencart. I was suggest you take a look into this for a online store. It self explanatory and everything is already set up. The installation is pretty simple too. I hope this brought a different idea to the table for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm no expert on this subject but I heard that Magento is hard to customize. Shopify looks simple but I think it comes with a premium. Also going with what Finney just said, Opencart isn't too bad. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Thanks Finney_3! I didn't even know about webasyst or opencart. What made you switch? Have you looked at other platforms? Or are you pretty satisfied with opencart?

Thanks sas1ni69! I just went through the magento demo and it was a bit confusing. I'm about to work through a lead commerce demo and if shopify has a demo, I'll definitely work through that.

Do you know if opencart has a demo I could work through?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

You're welcome :)

Yes the website has an actual demo. The store front or what the front page would look like to users would be here. The admin panel is here. The username and password are demo - demo.

You should fiddle around with it and maybe just install a local copy on your test server and have a run through with the code :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the links sas1ni69! I really like the features they offer and how the customer can choose different options for particular products.
I was hoping that the admin panel had some sort of message center the first time you log in, where it would show like the most recent unread messages or emails.
And I was also hoping the steps it takes to create a category or a product would be more clear. I might just have to figure it out as time goes by, but do you know if open cart has their own help center or FAQs? Or do you know of any other company that provides written or even video tutorials?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

OpenCart and Magnento are good choices if you are wanting to create your own website etc. But if you just need to easily get selling products on a small to medium scale, Shopify will work well for you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

View Postbeverlyjohnson, on 30 March 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Thanks Finney_3! I didn't even know about webasyst or opencart. What made you switch? Have you looked at other platforms? Or are you pretty satisfied with opencart?

Thanks sas1ni69! I just went through the magento demo and it was a bit confusing. I'm about to work through a lead commerce demo and if shopify has a demo, I'll definitely work through that.

Do you know if opencart has a demo I could work through?

Hey sorry for the delay on this but I switch to opencart because it was free and has pretty good support from the community for any issues, they also have a good admin panel and made it easy for a client to worth there own site with minimal questions. Webasyst was something I used once and thought it lacked support and had too many bugs with extensions and plugins not working. If you go to opencart.com you will be able to play with the demo also it's pretty easy to design for. Good luck with whatever option you choose.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks you guys! Everything has been super helpful! :bigsmile:

I'm hoping to finish up the demos and choose one soon!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1