6 Replies - 958 Views - Last Post: 17 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

B.S. in Web Design and Development

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

I'm almost finished earning my A.A.S. degree in web development and design and was wondering about how to obtain a B.S. or B.F.A. in this field of study.
Most online schools do not have the proper accreditation to make the degree useful. Does anyone know of a legitimate university that I could earn this degree from online?
None of the Universities in my area offer this program.
I've read that the University of Phoenix, Art Institute colleges, and other online universities are money mills offering no real education and that their degrees are worthless pieces of paper. I'd like to find a reputable school to earn a degree that counts.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've also been told that earning an A.A.S. degree in my local tech college and then gaining several years worth of hands on experience is just as good as getting a B.S. Is this true or just what the tech wants me to hear?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: B.S. in Web Design and Development

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: B.S. in Web Design and Development

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

I am not sure what a A.A.S is, however a good amount of good experience is very often just as good as (if not better) a degree. It may be harder in interviews, but often if you are gaining experience that is actually worth it in the long run then you are probably meeting people that may be able to help you get jobs later on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

You may want to check out the graphic arts programs at Stevens-Henager College. They have a BS in web design and development program that’s delivered fully online and it may just be a good fit for you. As for accreditation, the school is accredited by the ACCSC.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Did you look into Kaplan university online, duquesene, carnegie melon? these all have online courses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Franklin University in Ohio offers a B.S. in Web Development online. They are fully accredited.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

Kaplan is shit, as are most (if not all) of the online, for-profit schools. They ONLY WANT YOUR (and the Government's) MONEY!

At Kaplan University, 'Guerrilla Registration' Leaves Students Deep In Debt

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Congratulations on your A.A.S. hugoriffic! This past May I received my own in Computer Programming, completing both the General & Web Design Option in 2 years from the one and only State Technical College.

Not quite sure how intensely focused you are on Degree Titles, but I myself will be attending a Columbia College campus this Fall in pursuit of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, with a minor in Graphic Design. I've had several family members receive their degrees from there, and from theirs and my own experience thus far the institution seems excellent, fairly priced, and you can attend one of their nationwide campuses or enroll in their online degree program for more convenience for yourself. It is a well known and respected institution to receive your degree from.

This may not be quite what you are after, but I thought it may be something you would like to consider.

View PostShane Hudson, on 30 March 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

I am not sure what a A.A.S is, however a good amount of good experience is very often just as good as (if not better) a degree. It may be harder in interviews, but often if you are gaining experience that is actually worth it in the long run then you are probably meeting people that may be able to help you get jobs later on.

A.A.S. = Associate of Applied Science. I couldn't agree more with your post Shane. I was fortunate enough during my last year pursuing my A.A.S. to gain a position as a Data Analyst (Official Title, actually worked as Application Developer) at a leading world-wide book publisher working about 32hrs a week on 2nd Shift, be doing some Web Design work on the side, and working as the I.T. Tutor for the college. Thus by the time I graduated, my work experience alone was enough to interest employers, with my academic excellence being frosting :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1