2 Replies - 404 Views - Last Post: 05 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Freelancing with Open Source

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi Guys,

I am at a stage where I would like to start doing some freelancing for small local businesses, developing small information sites and other small types of project, mainly to build on my experience and my skills in the real world, but also preferably to make some extra cash on the side. Over the years it appears that web development companies have moved away from bespoke development to skinning open source apps like WordPress and developing plugins. The types of businesses I want to approach are companies that are unlikely to invest heavily in a web presence or currently have a poor web presence(Shit static website). The concept being to offer them something they would normally pay alot more for, while it might take me a little longer to acehive doing it in my spare time I would also be getting paid for something I would be doing for fun anyway. Leveraging something like WordPress, Joomla etc would make this a much faster and easier process, but there are a number of things that make me unsure about this approach. For instance WordPress has a feed in the admin panel explaining about new releases and fancy new plugins that can be downloaded and installed, is it wise to let clients see this kind of thing? Should all traces that it is developed in WordPress be removed? Usually these types of applications also allow the user to play around with core settings in the admin panel, since most people that use WordPress will likely develop it themselves this makes sense, but the kind of clients I will be aiming at will likely want to install and forget about it, then just maintain it with basic admin functions like adding removing categories.

So should these options be hidden? I know in the past when I have developed open source applications for my own purposes I wanted it to feel bespoke even if it was developed on an open source app, I hate the constant messages and adverts in the backend telling me about new features, but thats just my opinion. How would you guys approach this? Is developing ontop of open source the way to go or not?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Freelancing with Open Source

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Freelancing with Open Source

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

or instance WordPress has a feed in the admin panel explaining about new releases and fancy new plugins that can be downloaded and installed, is it wise to let clients see this kind of thing?

They are paying for you to design the page and if that means install wordpress then yes.. let them see it. It's theirs.

Should all traces that it is developed in WordPress be removed?

Why? Again your development approach is wordpress. You might never work with this client again, but the next guy would be appreciative if that information is not hidden. This isn't your site it's the CLIENT'S site. Hiding things is generally bad.

Usually these types of applications also allow the user to play around with core settings in the admin panel, since most people that use WordPress will likely develop it themselves this makes sense, but the kind of clients I will be aiming at will likely want to install and forget about it, then just maintain it with basic admin functions like adding removing categories.

So? Are you afraid of them screwing up a setting? Yeah they'll do that and either call you back to fix it (new contract) or call someone else. Either way you should, as part of your hand over, have a help doc and run through the settings of what is going on with things like "changing this will break your site" and then mention any breakage (after the sign off) is a new contract.

So should these options be hidden?

Again - the site isn't yours to maintain for ever and ever. That's the client's job. They may pick you they may pick their grandson.. either way trying to generalize it and make it more difficult later on for them or someone else is not the product the client paid for.

Of course having a link to your site and tossing some co-branding bits in there isn't too bad of an idea.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Freelancing with Open Source

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

One option would be to create a Producer/Editor account, they would only have access to Posts/Pages so they can update/delete and create new ones. This way someone who isn't too familiar with Wordpress won't get overwhelmed.

Also, provide them with the Admin account in case they need to do updates, add/remove plugins etc and have someone technical who knows their way around the backend.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1