4 Replies - 1369 Views - Last Post: 16 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

• Cheese and Sprinkles
  • member icon

• View blog

Need opinions about site

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

This is one of my newest sites, Just want to know what y'all think about it. It's all done by me.

EmiliaHorn.com
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need opinions about site

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need opinions about site

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm not to sure about the gradient choice. That particular one just reminds me of the horrific Word Art in the old Microsoft Word - something that needs to be forgotten.

Also it seems that when I navigate to another page using the nav bar buttons, each page first renders slightly to the left (whilst the page is still loading) and then moves over to the middle when the page has finished loading (Chrome).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

I am not a fan.

what's up with the menu buttons taking a delayed approach to showing up.. then resizing again when they are there? Also it seems when ever I click a link the page is tweaking where it's location is horizontally.. maybe redo some of the css so each page is aligned right. It just seems twitchy.

The contact me thing has a teal outline on firefox but not so much on internet explorer? Why's that? Heck - why is there even a blue shadow in the first place? The shadow bit around the main is missing as well in IE.

the main header graphic looks.. lame? I dont' know throw a border or something on it... the drop off from the blue gradient ontop of the white and black image is not sitting well with me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

I am not very good with design myself, so I will leave those aspects for the designers to comment on. Though I will say that the menu looks like it suspended in mind air, sort of like it doesn't belong. Again, my design sense is limited at best.

Structure:
  • Typically the logo (in this case your name) doubles as a link to your home page. This is not so much a flaw as a common feature and may confuse some users.
  • As stated the main menu seems to load much slower then the rest of the page. Though theirs no large images and it coming in all at once, which makes me thing your using JS to load it, which would be a flaw in my perspective. I see that your using this code to load the menu:
    $(document).ready(function(){
    $("#nav").delay(2000).fadeIn(1000);
    });

I understand what your trying to do, but it really just makes it look broken. Rather then a nice soft fade in. If you were dead set on keeping the fade in my suggestion would be to lose the delay.
  • The content of your website shifts back and forth trying to be centred.
  • I've notice on the body you have a function onload="leftAdjust()" Why is this? In almost all circumstances this sort of margining can be achieved via CSS. You can centre relatively positioned elements with the margin property.
  • The JS on the "Contact Me" slider is poorly written. If you spam your mouse over it a few times, the JS que's up all of those commands and executes them one after another. Which makes it open and close constantly until the commands are completed. There are methods to only let it que one command at a time.

That's all I have to say. Keep working on it though, each revision will make it better. You will only get better with time and practice. Cheers and good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:30 AM

Remove the photoshop layer effects from the site. Does it have any ground to stand on from there? Those effects are an accent, not a complete design solution wrapped in a box. Avoid them at all costs. If you can't do it in CSS then you really need to reconsider.

Gradients are meant to be subtle, and a background should not garner more attention than the foreground. The point of a background is to accentuate the foreground and promote flow.

The binder effect is another example of why you should avoid using really noticeable backgrounds. It detracts, it really kills flow.

You have 2 seconds, if you don't catch my attention within that time you're pretty well shot. Without a clear intention people don't really care, it's just as easy to find something else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1