5 Replies - 8647 Views - Last Post: 30 April 2007 - 12:56 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text based browser game, basic help.

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

I want to make my own text based browser game, I'm 18 and studying computing at college, wanted to do this as a little side project and if it never gets released, then its all good practice for my course etc :P.
I know theres already 100 topics like these but I was wondering, what coding language would be best? I just want a text based browser game with x turns a day and be able to buy stuff etc.
I was wondering, what languages to use, what programs would be best to use, both free and paid programs, I have some cash, but I'm not rich :P, links would be appreciated too, also, I know loops have to be used to work out active hit points and such things and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with starting it off, or has some links to some helpful sites on this topic. Thanks in advance for your help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text based browser game, basic help.

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text based browser game, basic help.

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

for a text based game for a web browser, I would go with PHP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2007 - 05:50 PM

In terms of languages, there are a few out there. Most people will recommend PHP, but there's also Perl, ASP, Ruby, Python, and a few others.

You're going to want to find a database setup, or figure out a different way to store your data - the most common database for browsergames is MySQL, although there are a few others out there. Your best bet is to google them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the help I was planning on working in PhP/Mysql. I was just wondering if there are any sites to get me started or some to help me along the way. Also what languages have people found the easiest? I'm gonna run the site off my home PC for the beta, what programs do I need for Php, Mysql? Thanks again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:33 AM

The easy way to set up PHP/mySQL is a little open source installer called WAMP (or if you are using Linux LAMP is the alternative). This will install everything you need and have everything configured for you. The other way you need to install PHP and then install mySQL and then configure them to work together (there are step by step instructions on how to do this on the web)
As for resources for learning, I would recommend buying a book, or look at tutorials online (just do a google search, w3schools has a good one). If you already know a programming language it shouldn't be too hard to pick up php and figure it out by looking at it and trying things out.
Good Luck with your game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Thanks alot for your help its greatly apprechiated, I picked up a book today called "Beggining PHP and MySQL 5" by a book firm called Apress, cost alot but looks really helpful, after my summer exams are over (in about 3 weeks) I shall give it a read, and try all the tasks, looks really good though. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1