7 Replies - 1134 Views - Last Post: 07 April 2012 - 02:17 PM Rate Topic: -----

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Open Source 3d Simulation Engines

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Not specific to game creation (I'm actually more interested in using it to create virtual collaboration environments), but was wondering if anyone had any experiences or opinions working with any open source sim environments like Delta3D or OpenSim, or any others. I'd love to hear some thoughts on their maturity, flexibility and your experiences with them.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Open Source 3d Simulation Engines

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Open Source 3d Simulation Engines

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Why not give them a try?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:19 AM

Well, that's an excellent suggestion of course, and one that is being undertaken as we speak. that being said, what with this being a public forum and all, I thought it might be beneficial to solicit the opinion and thoughts of others who are familiar with the tools, their flexibility and power, resource usage, scalability, etc...

Thank you very much for your help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

No problem. That's the thing with public forums, you rarely get the answer you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

True, but it does not stop one from hoping that perhaps someone well versed with the subject matter might happen upon the thread and offer something of value. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

This is the way that it works:

1. You are working on your project and therefore are more familiar with its requirements.
2. When you ask which is 'best', what is the criteria for determining what 'best' is?
3. People generally do not agree on anything that is the 'best' option because of (1).

See why it is a completely nonsense question?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

I could indeed...had that actually been the question, which it was not. All I'd asked was whether or not people had experience with them, and what they thought of the tools during that experience. My project requirements have no bearing on someone else's past experiences with the tools, but those experiences may indeed have value for me as I continue to research them. Collaborating with others and getting opinions on thoughts on a subject are common research techniques.

I gather that you have not used the tools (which is perfectly fine), have used them and not formed an opinion (also fine), or simply don't want to share the opinion with me (again, quite alright). Perhaps your energy might be better directed to contributing in areas you wish to, as opposed to using this space to convince me that I should never have asked the question.

My understanding (and I've a bit of experience in the area) is that this site is meant for people to come to in order to ask questions related to technology and programming. I've formed this understanding during my years participating here (although in fairness, I've not been an active contributor for some years). I don't believe I have done anything out of order.

Thank you for your time - and despite all this useless back and forth, I'd encourage anyone with experience to respond....I'd greatly value your thoughts.

Thanks, and have a great day!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well, good luck with the flurry of responses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1