7 Replies - 2575 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

will this power supply power this cpu ?

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Will this power supply power a amd fx 8120 8 core
http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

I have been looking around on forums etc and have seen posts which say that if you get the wrong amperage it can blow the cpu. I have a 450 watt at the moment and having problems e.g slowness i have read reviews saying that the cpu can use up to 400 watts and 600 when gaming. so was thinking about buying the 850w power supply but don't want the amps to blow the cpu.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: will this power supply power this cpu ?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: will this power supply power this cpu ?

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well it's a 125 watt CPU so yes your power supply will be able to handle it. I have no idea what reviews you have been reading that say the CPU can consume 600 watts when gaming.

The thing you have to consider is what makes the rest of your system. If you are going to go the crossfire/SLI route, then you are going to want more than 850w. On the other hand if you are going to have one mid range GFX card then 850w will be fine.

If you are going to build a mega system with loads of HDD's, extra lights, fans, a couple of high end graphics cards then you are going to want a bigger one.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

The CPU and all hardware only draw what they need. If you have the money and will add a few video cards, then you will need a high wattage PSU like 1000 watts or more. 700 or above is an average PSU that will handle a normal current system just fine.

You will do more damage to your hardware with a PSU that puts out too little wattage.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

well im only gonna have 1 gfx card and maybe add water cooling later on.So im guessing the only thing that matters is the wattage ? what about the amps and the output etc ? The one i have linked to has a quad rail has well ( im new to power supply's so )
so the power supply i have linked to will be fine to run the cpu and 1 gfx card ? And maybe 2 / 3 hard drives ?

Thanks in advance
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Well I don't want to say for definite, but yes, it should be fine.

Again it depends on which gfx card you have chosen. You can get some very power efficient ones that hardly consume anything, yet some of the higher end ones can chew up a good couple of hundred watts easily.

Another thing to take into consideration is whether or not you want to do overclocking - if you are then you are going to again want a better PSU.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

ive overclocked my cpu from 3.1 to 4.1 on a 450 watt psu and works fine..... i knocked it back down to 3.5 now tho after reading "You will do more damage to your hardware with a PSU that puts out too little wattage. " Thanks again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

Rule of thumb, the cheaper the PSU, the less efficient it is and the less amount of time it's going to last.

PSU's are practically consumables, as they always go eventually. I think the cheap ones are false economy as a end up having replace them more often and get less out of them when they do work.

Making sure you're wattage is more than your PC requires will also make the PSU last longer, as it won't be maxed out and running at full tempreture. I try to have 30% more than I need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

watch out for the noise , god damn the cheap ones are poor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1