5 Replies - 5930 Views - Last Post: 10 April 2012 - 06:51 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VB .NET 2010 as a web service

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi all,

So I have recently completed a project using VB 2010. Now that I have finished it, I have come to realise that I could use this as a web service and start charging people for using it and make some money out of it.

Is this possible to do at all?

I know I can publish the app as an exe file, but I highly doubt if it work like that.

The ideal scenario would have been for VB .NET to automatically convert my code and forms to an ASP .NET project, but I am confident it is not possible.

So is it possible at all to run my forms on the browser. so when the browser loads us, it shows my first form?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB .NET 2010 as a web service

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB .NET 2010 as a web service

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Web applications are much different than windows forms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 AM

View Post_HAWK_, on 08 April 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Web applications are much different than windows forms.

true, i didnt know i wanna use it as a web application until the simulation of the system I wanted to build was completed.

Now I am wondering whether there's a n easier way to convert this to a useable web-service format than hard coding it from scratch again.

Any ideas?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Master(Of Foo)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Without knowing more about what you have it is diff to tell you. Most of the components we use for windows forms are not accessible with a service. Also if you use a service the best timer is the Threading.Timer class.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

View Post_HAWK_, on 10 April 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

Without knowing more about what you have it is diff to tell you. Most of the components we use for windows forms are not accessible with a service. Also if you use a service the best timer is the Threading.Timer class.

More information: Basically I have designed an application that's connected to an ACCESS 2003 database and inserts/pulls data from the data base base onm the user interactions and triggered events.

I am planning to replace the Access database with a MySQL if I can run this as a web service.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

So I have recently completed a project using VB 2010. Now that I have finished it, I have come to realise that I could use this as a web service and start charging people for using it and make some money out of it.

Is this possible to do at all?

Yes.

I know I can publish the app as an exe file, but I highly doubt if it work like that.

Correct.

The ideal scenario would have been for VB .NET to automatically convert my code and forms to an ASP .NET project, but I am confident it is not possible.

More or less this is correct.

So is it possible at all to run my forms on the browser. so when the browser loads us, it shows my first form?

By forms you mean your .exe? No.

Now I am wondering whether there's a n easier way to convert this to a useable web-service format than hard coding it from scratch again.

The code behind should be about the same. The GUI is what will be different.. but then again webservices usually don't have GUIs. It's a set entry point where you can feed it data and it can return data. I have a tutorial about making a VB.NET app interface with a PHP webservice that highlights this.

http://www.dreaminco...sumed-by-vbnet/

I am planning to replace the Access database with a MySQL if I can run this as a web service.

Yeah, you should do this pretty much as soon as possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1