5 Replies - 3505 Views - Last Post: 13 April 2012 - 11:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ACE ColdFusion 9 Certification

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hello All,
Has anyone taken the ACE ColdFusion 9 Certification? I have a copy of what to expect on the test, but unfortunately for me, I only use about 30% of it on the job. What is the best way to study for the Cert? People have said to take a couple practice tests and then take the exam, is this a good strategy? If so, what are some good sites that provide legit preparation for the Cert? I have Googled this topic, but every site seems to say the same thing.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ACE ColdFusion 9 Certification

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ACE ColdFusion 9 Certification

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I've never bothered to take a certification exam so I can't even begin to approach advising someone on how to prepare for one. TBH, I've never seen the worth of such a certification (outside of the certifying agency themselves making money). I've been doing CF for 13-14 years now and not once, not a single time, has anyone asked me whether I was certified.

I recall seeing a CF certification sample test some time back at one of the old Macromedia conventions and the impression I got was pretty much what you said: I used maybe a third of what they were asking about on the job on a daily basis. To me, a certification would be worth something if it was a stepping stone to a better position, giving you the inside track to opening positions or allowing you to demand (and receive) better compensation. Alas and alack, I've never experienced any issue despite my lack of possessing such a cert.

So, I guess my response, such as it is is this: why do you want a ACE certification in the first place? I know on a forum like this it may be something you don't see many "experts" admit to but I consult Adobe's online CF9 docs pretty much everyday. I suppose I could trust to my memory or the knowledge I gained cramming a book or three into my skull in preparation for a cert exam...but I've had my brain now for a long time and believe me, it'll make mistakes. I know it cause I've seen it do it.

In short, for myself anyway, it's easier to take a moment and go straight to the resource and get it right 100% of the time than to try and BE the resource.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

View PostCraig328, on 12 April 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

why do you want a ACE certification in the first place?

Thanks for the response. Well, I'm a JR ColdFusion Developer and have been working with ColdFusion for about two years now. I was told by my employer that they would look more favorable upon someone who the Cert as opposed to someone who didn't have it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Huh. This is your current employer? Are they paying your testing fees and are they offering to pay you more salary once you possess this cert? I'm trying to figure out what "look more favorable upon" means given that you're already an employee.

Do they have some internal promotion scheme that's tied to certification? Are all their senior devs certified?

Don't misunderstand: I'm not trying to talk you out of getting certified. Just curious to learn that the motivation comes from your current employer apparently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostCraig328, on 13 April 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Huh. This is your current employer? Are they paying your testing fees and are they offering to pay you more salary once you possess this cert? I'm trying to figure out what "look more favorable upon" means given that you're already an employee.

Do they have some internal promotion scheme that's tied to certification? Are all their senior devs certified?

Don't misunderstand: I'm not trying to talk you out of getting certified. Just curious to learn that the motivation comes from your current employer apparently.

They said they may reimburse for the test. The salary increase was said to be a possibility but not a guarantee. I'm the only Junior Developer and we have 3 Senior Devs, as far as I know they aren't Certified, well I know 2 aren't. No internal promotion that's tied to it.

So this Cert doesn't hold any weight in the IT field and/or employers don't really take it into consideration?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

Well, I didn't say that. I imagine it holds some value if you have one. For you, having but a few years experience, it's probably worth getting because a certification conveys the message "I'm an expert". If you have 8-10 years experience, people just kind of assume you're an expert so I'd venture that a certification isn't worth as much to them.

If you don't feel like waiting an extra 2-5 years for your peers to view you as an expert then by all means, go get one. That said, you already know the seniors on your team don't have one and your employer's reaction to it seems to be lukewarm at best. You mentioned though that your employer would look at a cert favorably. To be entirely mercenary, "favorable" needs to mean something tangible. Better pay, more vacation, more frequent promotions...something.

My guess is that when they said they'd view it favorably they probably had in mind future applicants for positions. They already have you and they hired you without a cert and continue to employ the senior devs at your place who likewise aren't certified.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1