• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 1134 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2007 - 11:29 AM

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

c_4less got me thinkin'

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

I generally don't get involved in all the the "n00b b4$hin" that goes on when some hax0r posts a question about h4x0ring the government internets, but this last post about viruses got me thinking.

I came into programming back when viruses were 512 bytes or less and generally very sneaky. Now-a-days they tend to be bigger, less subtle (though there are SOME really good ones out there), and generally not as aestheticly pleasing to the code-admiring-public.

I have a rather large collection of frozen(encrypted) viruses. Well its large to me (about 45 really nasty bits of work... most of which are obsolete now being old DOS boot viruses). I was facinated by them. Every time I ran accross a new one I tracked it down, and studied it (not always the safest practice). Some were REALLY neat, others so-so, and some I never figured out.

So, I was young and in high school, I knew just enough assembly language to get myself in trouble (most of which I learned from dissassembling viruses -- well TECHNICALLY I was using Turbo Debugger to trace them :P) and so I decided to write my own. Mine did not have a leathal payload... in fact all it did was spread. Which it did rather well, dispight my best efforts to keep my own computer safe I caught my own virus and had the HARDEST time getting rid of it because no virus checker detected it... so I would erraticate it, and then somehow I would catch it again... over and over. (No you did not catch my virus... all HD's that didn't have the same volume label as mine were safe, and I doubt it was able to sneaker-net itself very far).

Needless to say I got the "bug" out of my system and have not written anything more annoying that a small word virus that made Clippit use some very inappropriate language. (this one had a very controled spreading mechanism so only the people meant to get it did... i hope).

I still read up on virus technology and still have a facination with the special tweak one has to have in thier brain to think up some of the ingenious uses of what should be a benign features of a program. But I no longer code viruses (I don't have that tweak so I would be a terrible virus programmer).

I also no longer collect them since my virus scanner really hates that.

So has anyone else used the dark side of the force? Or seen a really wicked virus?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: c_4less got me thinkin'

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: c_4less got me thinkin'

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:16 AM

I like the Clipit idea. Viruses are so unimaginative usually

This post has been edited by Ellie: 01 May 2007 - 05:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:47 AM

I spent a number of years developing network security applications - as such, I had to delve pretty deeply into the realm of actual virus programming. I've never used the knowledge for anything malicious (and never will), nor is it a field I am directly associated with anymore. I found that 99% of the virus code that is released was usually simple stuff - put together by someone who simply wanted to cause havoc as opposed to having a defined goal. I never got that mentality myself - I can understand someone wanting to design a program that would collect and gather sensitive or profitable information, but the point of programming something that displays a skull and crossbones onscreen then formats your hard drive always seemed a little pointless.

That being said, I have seen some pretty grim ones over the years, and still stay informed in case I return to that area of security. I have written them, but only for testing purposes with security software - never for release.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:46 AM

I've never written a real virus, just a little TSR for DOS that was supposed to guard my private folders on our highschool's server intercepting all the BIOS and DOS calls that tried to reach it / hiding it even from supervisors. It was fun, and I think it was never detected...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

Nice, I tried something like that but never finnished it. Mine was actually supposed to make a virtual encrypted drive -- a little too ambitious for my abilities at the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:15 PM

I wrote a metamorphic carrier program before. It wasn't a virus, it just carried viruses in itself. It would transform suddenly when ran and then act from there. It would also sprout different other metamorphic copies everywhere. I accidentally screwed it up and it ate my RAM up. All it ever did was make my drive messy. I don't think I can bring myself to write actual viruses for machines.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pepè Le Pewn
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 07:17 PM

i once threw a magnet at a computer. it wasn't powerful enough to do any damage but it broke through the screen on the monitor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• lost in compilation
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 08:17 PM

have never written any seriously malicious code, but i have played with some of the known viruses, just to see if i could "beat them" then i would also take them apart and see if i could understand why they were so damn hard to catch.
My new VMs allow me to do the same thing, except i can stop any network traffic keeping not only my base OS safe, but others on my network and even my mailing list safe. If i manage to really screw it up, just replace the virtual hard disc with a recent backup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:45 PM

put together by someone who simply wanted to cause havoc as opposed to having a defined goal.

The one word virus I wrote I got paid to do. Not much, but beer and pizza and a good laugh were good enough at the time. But I have been offered quite a bit of money for more malicious applications (most of which actually fall under the headding of viral-spyware).

I am willing to bet that most of the viruses written by professionals are not particulary malicious, are not often found (at least until after the fact), and cost more than beer and pizza. I think the name of the game really is -- get in, get information, get out -- all undetected. And a virus is just a tool to help acheave this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:11 AM

i've written some nasty ones, nothing big or fancy like SQL Slammer but still bad, i used C++ for mine, although i haven't read any articles or anything recently about them, just sort of a lost cause
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• THIS IS SPARTAAA
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

I wrote the bird flu
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -