RPGs Past vs. Present and influences for the future

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1480 Views - Last Post: 14 April 2012 - 01:04 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

RPGs Past vs. Present and influences for the future

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

So, I was curious to find out everyone's opinion on this. How would you compare present RPG's (2d and 3d) to the old school RPG's. What do you think could be and should be improved on? What are their Pros and Cons and how do they compare across the generation gap. What improvements would you like to see be made. What would you like to see in the future in the way of RPGs?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: RPGs Past vs. Present and influences for the future

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: RPGs Past vs. Present and influences for the future

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

the most notable difference (for me) between old school and CGI RPGs is social interaction. while you do have the possibility to speak/text to team players (CGI) you donít have the face-to-face experience of an RPG playing bunch of people. and old school games tend to be a lot more unpredictable. on the other hand side, they also include more "homework" (for both players and game master).

what I wish for: some RPG systems could do with less rules (resp. more unambigous rules)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Though its helpful , I didnt mean to include Pen and Paper Rpgs, I meant for a comparison between the old 2d rpgs like Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire to the newer 3d rpgs like Final Fantasy 7 and higher and other notable games. Thank you though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 痛覚残留
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:14 AM

ah, ok. though I would recommend anyone playing CGI RPGs to at least once try P'n'P or Table Top RPG.

you forgot to mention "Monkey Island" and "Day of Tentacle". (which are the oldest CGI RPGs I can remember)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:31 AM

Actually i play quite a selection of Paper and pencil rpgs, namely Dnd2e, Rifts, Alternity, Outbreak:Undead just to name a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

RPGs these days are all about the graphics. I don't really have the attention span for them these days anyway.

I've always been a huge fan of Final Fantasy, but it went wayyyy downhill when Square Soft merged with Enix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

I liked wolf sword and a few others from the past but now there really isnt much I like.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Super Mario RPG is where it's at.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

i've played a couple rpgs on the 360 and never finished any of them. I found myself getting stuck 20 hours in, and then get so frustrated that i just give up. It happened in Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Star Ocean. I really enjoyed all 3 games, probably blue dragon the most so it was incredibly disappointing to have gotten stuck in each one so badly after so much time invested in them. IMO, Grandia 2 on the dreamcast is about as perfect as it gets for an RPG. From the story, to the turn based combat, it was just an incredible game.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 12 April 2012 - 06:34 AM, said:

I've always been a huge fan of Final Fantasy, but it went wayyyy downhill when Square Soft merged with Enix.

Pretty much. I think 2000~2005 was the peak of the character/story driven console RPG (JRPG), then they all started to become boring piles of cut-scenes from about 2006 on (imagine Xenosaga with even less/worse gameplay). The last well-known JRPG I can think of off the top of my head was that Star Ocean game on the XBOX and it was really bad. "DAAAAAAAMMM IT ALLLL!!" (OK the gameplay looks solid but you can't watch the cutscenes without facepalming or ROFLMAO-ing).

I don't know, I've only seen hobbyists like us make JRPG styled games anymore that aren't extremely boring.

Super Mario RPG is where it's at.

/thread

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 12 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

View PostBlackball, on 12 April 2012 - 03:30 AM, said:

I didnt mean to include Pen and Paper Rpgs

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

My favourite RPGs have been: Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2. I think they are exceptional because of the amount of background and history that already had been created in the D&D universe that they're set in. It is difficult not to make a great game when you have decades worth of writing to draw upon.

I am mostly disappointed with the current trend of action RPGs and shallow plotline games that are developed by large software houses nowadays. You just have to look at the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series development to show the way things are going - they have been steadily dumbed down to try to appeal to a larger audience.

As far as the JRPG goes, my favourites are Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and the early FFs. I haven't played many traditional JRPGs lately as they seem to be much the same. In terms of general console RPGs, I really liked Dark Souls, Demon Souls and Heavy Rain. These are not traditional JRPGs though.

I have been playing a lot of indie RPGs, such as the RPG games from http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/ and http://basiliskgames.com/ . They are low quality graphically but they have a lot of dialogue and depth which appeals to me.

This post has been edited by wordswords: 12 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 12 April 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

i've played a couple rpgs on the 360 and never finished any of them. I found myself getting stuck 20 hours in, and then get so frustrated that i just give up. It happened in Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Star Ocean. I really enjoyed all 3 games, probably blue dragon the most so it was incredibly disappointing to have gotten stuck in each one so badly after so much time invested in them. IMO, Grandia 2 on the dreamcast is about as perfect as it gets for an RPG. From the story, to the turn based combat, it was just an incredible game.

Really , I didnt think Lost Odyssey was that bad, where did you get stuck at? Star Ocean for the 360 sucked more than anything has ever sucked before. Never played Blue Dragon. What in your opinion made these games bad? try to be as specific as possible. thx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

View Postwordswords, on 12 April 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

..It is difficult not to make a great game when you have decades worth of writing to draw upon..

This is far from true and is actually a rare occurrence for them to not screw up a game set on a long established world.

View Postwordswords, on 12 April 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

I am mostly disappointed with the current trend of action RPGs and shallow plotline games that are developed by large software houses nowadays. You just have to look at the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series development to show the way things are going - they have been steadily dumbed down to try to appeal to a larger audience.

I've always loathed the "what the fuck do I do where am I where do I go?" of the classic PC RPGs, so I love modern PC RPGs like Skyrim. They ditched the needlessly complicated RPG systems, awful controls, and endless wandering (ex: Morrowind), so now I actually notice when the story is kind of lacking.

A good JRPG doesn't need a good story since the gameplay elements are agnostic to the story (Grandia III is a good example, shit story but awesome battle system), but these modern PC games could use a much deeper story since taking control of the story and completing quests in your own ways is part of the gameplay. Skyrim is fun, but often I feel like things I do have little weight on the game world.

Even a bad JRPG story is better than a bland, boring one. FF13 is a good example of being really boring and having an equally un-involving, boring battle system to go with it.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 12 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostBlackball, on 12 April 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

View Postbflosabre91, on 12 April 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

Really , I didnt think Lost Odyssey was that bad, where did you get stuck at? Star Ocean for the 360 sucked more than anything has ever sucked before. Never played Blue Dragon. What in your opinion made these games bad? try to be as specific as possible. thx

i honestly don't remember where i was in lost odyssey. Yeah, Star Ocean wasn't that great and it had its quirks but it was still an ok rpg. It did kinda have a low budget feel to it. I didn't think that Lost Odyssey is bad, it just sucks cause i was at a point in the game where i just can't progress any further and i don't want to waste my time grinding my characters. I think I'm like right in the last hour of Blue Dragon but I just can't figure out where to go to finish it. I could look it up probably but I haven't played it in like 2 years so it doesn't really bother me. But if you are looking for a good rpg for the 360, i would def recommend blue dragon. You can get it pretty cheap and its got a decent enough story and the combat is entertaining.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +