6 Replies - 400 Views - Last Post: 12 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hello from Scotland, UK

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi there, my name is James Moore and I'm an Englishman living in Scotland.

I'm a computer science graduate in my thirties. Graduated from the University of Plymouth in 1998 with a 2:2. I was a bit lazy and smoked pot. Thats my excuse for the poor grade. :dozingoff:

I currently work for a local government in Scotland, as the officer of the Apps Support team. We look after their apps like the Council Tax app, Housing Benefits app, Geographical Information System app, Property Gazetteer app, Payroll app and lots of other apps mostly running on Windows and IBM AIX servers. Mostly bought from software companies along with a support contract. Off-the-shelf software they're referred to as. These arent simple apps, theyre usually frikkin complicated ones that come with a 500 page manual. Of course there are a few simple ones too (and frankly I could have made em myself and saved a lot of tax payer dosh) such as the "room booking" app. I mean comon, room booking? How easy. I suppose the Outlook integration would be the only tricky part.

The local gov orgs in the UK are required by law to make public any requirement for new services such as software and private companies can submit their "tender" (proposal). The org then makes a shortlist then picks one and they get all the tax payers money for their software and support service. Usually a project manager manages the whole thing. A typical software contract will be like 400 for each user license plus 5000 per year for support. But I digress.

I have found this website useful for quite some time now and would like to join in the discussions.

Ask me anything, especially about working for a local government org. I'll be happy to help.

I have programmed in many languages in the past but I'm focusing on PHP, C# and .NET right now at home. At work its usually Perl and PHP.

Recently my Thai wife got sick of Scotland and of me (but not completely sick of me) and took our 2 daughters to live in Thailand permanently. I'm gonna move over there later, if I can create a Micro Independent Software Vendor business and sell enough software from my own website, that is.

I've only just finished developing some software and a website to sell it. I would appreciate any comment about it. Especially negative ones. There is nothing like blunt and constructive criticism to sort your life out! It is a console app to monitor a website and send a screenshot to you if it encounters an error so you can see exactly what the error was. It has a GUI configuration tool to make it easy to use but I'm thinking most people who would be looking for this kind of software are not the computer illiterates. It will mostly be the tech support people or those who value their website uptime a lot, do you agree?

Its at http://software.futureofmankind.co.uk

I wrote it in C# and it uses the Awesomium windowless web browser framework which is based on the Chromium browser framework (which is where Chrome comes from).

If you cant be bothered to have to look then no worries! I'm not dying for advice.

Cheers

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hello from Scotland, UK

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hello from Scotland, UK

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Welcome! Ah another person's couch I can surf if I ever get on a flight to hop the pond. I am afraid my buddy's relatives might be a bit put out if I showed up. Ha.

Sounds like a good gig... decent pay and hours?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Sure anyone here is welcome to stop over in my 1 bedroom flat and sleep on the couch (we call it a sofa on this side of the pond).

I should have gotten rid of the slugs that keep invading my lounge during the dark hours by then too. I think they creep (slither) in where the wall under the windows meets the carpet. Yummy!

The apps support officer job gives real nice pay. 40K GBP (60K USD?) before taxes and national insurance (health insurance). 20 days paid leave per year. 9 bank holidays as well. A flexible working hours system. I can start as late as 10am if I want but we have to work on average 7 hours per day.

Whats your job like? Any good?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Damn.. are you guys needing a senior app dev out there? Ha.

A small corporate office here and I do everything programming related - websites, back office apps, outlook plugins, maintenance on ancient old apps.. etc.. not bad.. The pay could be better but meh..

Slugs? Just throw a bunch of salt around the edges.. make a dead slug zone! (and I believe it keeps out ghosts too..)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

We recently reduced our expenditure by 25% thanks to the Lehmann Bros (and all the other frikkin greedy bstards in the real-estate and banking industry - YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!) so unfortunately we dont have any job openings right now. But we probably will in the near future for a Senior PHP/Mysql/AJAX Developer! I can post it here when it appears if you like.

If I were you though, I wouldnt bother coming to Scotland because, besides from having a family of plesiosaurs living in a lake called Loch Ness and a decent salary, there is bugger all reason to come here. Bugger all = zilch. The weather is sheeite, wet and freezing and the women are ugly.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Disclaimer: Not all Scottish women are ugly and my opinions do not represent that of my employer!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

That's what I hear from my buddy's family out there.. near Edinburgh or some joint.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1