7 Replies - 1204 Views - Last Post: 17 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

• Knows all, except most.

• View blog

Computer mutes itself overnight

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Sometimes I need to set an online alarm clock to go off early in the morning so I have time to finish work, orbecause I don't want to sleep. I make sure my computer is unmuted before I go to bed. I even close the door so the cat can't be a factor.

However, often, I will wake up late as my computer has been muted. It doesn't happen every time, but it is very annoying, since it mostly happens when I have work to catch upon. I don't understand why it does this, I've never noticed it happen through the day, only night. I'm sure I don't turn it off subconciously. I leave the laptop lid open so that I know the closed screen isn't triggering the button.

Probably a hard to debug issue, but any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer mutes itself overnight

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer mutes itself overnight

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

I'm sure I don't turn it off subconciously.

Are you 110% sure about that? More often than not, if I don't make sure I can't reach it without waking up, I'll find myself waking up late, having turned off the alarm clock without even remembering it.

Probably a hard to debug issue, but any ideas?

I don't suppose you'd be willing to stay up a night or two, just staring at the laptop to see if it mutes automatically? :P

Seriously though. Is there any audio software on it that could be making this happen? Or perhaps some power management stuff that is shutting down the audio hardware after X amount of idle time, and then bugging out when your alarm tries to access it?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

Do you use a certain website for the online alarm clock or a program? I would not mind trying it out since i have huge problems waking up in the morning.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yikes, completely forgot I posted this. The site is http://onlineclock.net/.

Yes, I'm sure I don't turn it off, I've been trying to figure out what's wrong, and that certainly wouldn't be helping =P

I don't have any extra software. I have problems with firefox though If I remove my headphones while a video is playing in firefox, it will crash. If it doesn't crash, it keeps playing the video, but there will be no sound until I restart firefox. Maybe related, or maybe not.

I will be staying up all night tonight due to schoolwork, Only slept 3 hours last night (only wanted to sleep 1 hour, but this problem...).

In power management and the advanced settings, I can't see anything relating to sound. In device manager, there is no option to 'prevent windows from shutting down the device' or whatever it is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

Are you sure the computer is actually being muted? As in, you have to un-mute it to play sound after?
I have had that exact website not work before, burnt my pizza.

I think it is much more likely to be something with your browser/plugins or their website, than your OS or hardware. I'd start buying trying a different browser, seems like a lot of effort though for an alarm though. Alarms are bundled into so many devices these days, I used to leave a crappy kids watch next to my bed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yeh, I usually have the sound control panel open aswell as to make sure it is unmuted, then I wake up looking the sound bars go up and down with muted icon showing.

I normally use Internet Explorer which I haven't touched with any plugins as it's a horrible browser, I use it only for the alarm. Firefox is just a bunch of problems, the plugin manager often crashes if I leave the alarm on. I will try use chrome over the next few days to how it goes. I suppose I could use my parents phone to do it, I'll just have to remember to get it before they go to bed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

That site seems to use Flash to play the alarm sound. If there is anything you learn from using a Linux desktop, it's that Flash and audio playback is anything but reliable. Linux aside, I've also on occasion has issues with Flash audio on Windows. Mostly it just crashes the browser, but I've seen it completely disable a sound card in such a way that a hard reboot was required to get the system running again. (I think the driver for that card was pretty weak though, so it wasn't entirely Adobes fault.)

I suggest you abandon that particular site and find something else. Surely there are a billion clock applications out there that you can use.

Hell, you could even just use the Windows task scheduler. Try using this bash script:
@echo off 
SET /p alarm_time="When should the alarm sound?: "
SET alarm_exec_cmd=\"C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe\" \"%PUBLIC%\Music\Sample Music\Kalimba.mp3\"
SchTasks /Create /F /SC DAILY /TN "Alarm Clock" /TR "%alarm_exec_cmd%" /ST %alarm_time%

Just save it as "something.bat" and double click it. The insert a time like "15:25". - A Windows Media Player window will pop up at that time every day and play one of the sample music that comes with Windows. (That one should wake you up :))

Running the scrip again will change the time.

This post has been edited by Atli: 17 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Well downloading one was an option, I was just never bothered to do it. I will try that script though, it's a little more conveniant, and maybe I won't set it to PM half the time. Definately changing chosen song though, all those sample songs made me feel sick, they sound wierd =P Thank you.

Good night!

Edit: script doesn't seem to work, I press enter and it just closes. I tried setting it a minute after the time, and nothing played. The paths were slightly different, so I changed them to suit what I have, but still the same thing:

@echo off 
SET /p alarm_time="When should the alarm sound?: "
SET alarm_exec_cmd=\"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe\" \"%PUBLIC%\Public Music\Sample Music\Kalimba.mp3\"
SchTasks /Create /F /SC DAILY /TN "Alarm Clock" /TR "%alarm_exec_cmd%" /ST %alarm_time%

This post has been edited by Mylo: 17 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1